Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭PixelPlayer

RdR1 rumoured to be coming to PC, but based off some text files someone found so who knows. It would be great if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In order not to derail the specific thread, I gave Animal Well a go. I was really enjoying it, the exploration of it seems well done, and I know this is a pure personal choice and in no way reflects on the game, but I just can't warm to the pixel graphics. Genuinely strains my eyes after a while, I tried with scanning off too, but didn't last much longer that way. The colours and atmosphere are very well done, just not a fan of pixel style. I always see it being better in a smoother art style.

Decided to start Tunic instead, and it has the same exploration feel but is much easier on the eyes. Animal Well may look better on a smaller screen, but blown up on a 55" I think it loses something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You should buy RDR for your PS5. I played it on the PS5 over Christmas and had a great time. A great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Tekken 8's hold on me has finally been broken. Decided to take a few days off to play Animal Well. Completed Animal Well and decided to have a few quick matches in Tekken to start getting back in the swing of things. Have lost a bit of muscle memory, losing to people ranked far lower, and even though I wasn't angry or annoyed or anything, by the end of a few matches I realised Animal Well didn't make me feel like this. There was just a lack of enjoyment and interest.

I'll jump back into Tekken 8 in a few months when more DLC characters have been released, but for now, time to start attacking the backlog that Tekken 8 caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Tunic is great and then you get smashed by the very first boss. Metroid Dread is kinda the same. Definitely hate that when you are enjoying a game and the difficulty goes from 4 to 10. And I don't want to turn down the difficulty level from "normal". I'll get to them eventually. But they go down the backlog for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Was that the garden statue boss? Ooof yeah he kicked the bejesus out of me. The difficulty spikes on bosses in Tunic was my only complaint as it's quite severe. Thankfully as you say, you can temporarily ease the difficulty and plow through if needs be.

There is an Assassin's Creed presentation today for the next game. I love the look and worlds in the past few games, even though it's the same game. They do look beautiful. I never bothered with Valhalla or Mirage.

But I'm a tiny bit sad I sold my XBox Series X as that ran Origins and Odyssey in native 4K 60FPS HDR without a hitch. I got them cheap digitally ... and with quick resume you could jump from blue skies and water in Ancient Egypt to Ancient Greece in a second. Could get them again on PS5, but that doesn't have native 4K or the quick resume feature, and I'm done with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Trailer is out now, and of course shows zero gameplay. But sure preorder it anyway! - Ubisoft

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭PixelPlayer

V Rising looks really interesting. Downloaded it and its one of those old school connect to a server games. As usual in these hosted server game, it's near impossible to connect to any of the servers. I actually could not get into a game after 1 hour of trying. Requested my refund before I'm deemed to have "played" it for too long. So disappointing.

Maybe I need to dip back into Diablo 4

I get the feeling they're approaching this like Syndicate, one for stealthy stuff and one for all out brawling. I'll be getting it anyway, even if the trailer has shown nothing of gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Mirage is a throwback to the Ezio era, 99% of the rpg stuff has been removed.

Valhalla is bloated even for Ubisoft, never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm looking forward to playing Mirage eventually, low on my list but definitely liking the sound of old school AC as i really didn't like the RPG route they went.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Simogo - the best working game studio on the planet - has a new game out tomorrow and it’s apparently another absolute banger.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/lorelei-and-the-laser-eyes/

Outrageous month for the puzzle game freaks among us (myself proudly included).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jj880

Looks excellent. Giving me The Room VR: A Dark Matter vibes. Been a while since I played a proper puzzler. Recently played through Myst in VR. Works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I just finished Mirage. Incredibly meh, but did appreciate the play time. I probably played Valhalla for about 10-12 hours and got nowhere but you can beat this in 16. Played it across both Xbox and PC via Ubisoft+, would be a great option for playing Shadows as it's €18 if you can get it finished within a month. I smell another 100 hour slog though here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I pulled the trigger (yeehaw) on red dead remaster for PS5 and it's a pure joy. Obviously not as nice to look at as the incredibly detailed RDR 2 but it still looks really nice and the simplified controls are a breath of fresh air. Checking the map, it looks a lot smaller than i remember which is also a good thing. Really looking forward to this playthrough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A big bonus over RDR2 is that it's actually a good game.

• Advertisement

Well i could easily stay up for hours playing this but leaba is calling. It's crazy how much more fun this game is after playing RDR2. If RDR 3 ever does get made, they need to return to not having to manage multiple stat bars and setting up camp anywhere and fast traveling to anywhere you've been. Also, for essentially a PS3 game, i can't stop taking screenshots. 30 quid in Smyths it's a bargain for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Love me some RDR!

Hard to believe it's 14 years old this Saturday :O

Might start a playthrough in honour :D

Make sure to play the horse shoe throwing minigame 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't forget trying to take your finger off, with the knife game 😆

I will keeping playing that until I'm successful. Yes Jordan, you have been saying that for years 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Things that baffle me in videogames: that people are still invested in Assassin's Creed games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was out of the games by the time of Unity. It took them going the more RPG route with Origins before I got back in (though Origins itself didn't grab me, by Odyssey did). Didn't bother with Valhalla or Mirage.

At the very least though from reading IGN's breakdown of info about the game, this does sound like a new evolution for the franchise in the same way that Origins was. Remains to be seen just how much of an evolution it is though.

Ah they can be fun popcorn games. The setting and character story can be interesting, and there's a batshit crazy overall story that's getting crazier with each installment. And it's now part of one of the highest selling franchises in history.

And not directed at anyone in particular, but buying these low effort remakes is the problem here. Rockstar had no excuse for the low level effort and I refuse to fund their crappy model. The more people who buy these low level efforts, the less effort we'll get in the future. Whole game should have been remade.

I get they are popcorn games and understand people that will dip into them when they feel like playing a Ubisoft style open world game but it's just the people that are invested in every game and the lore. I just find it a series that's hard to really care about. We've also had ghost of tsushima which should satisfy anyone looking for a popcorn Ubisoft open world game with Arkham combat set in Japan.

Looks like they are going back to the template of syndicate which my brother was a big fan of and seems to be a fan favourite so maybe that's where the excitement is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not sure why it's baffling, they're fun throwaway games with interesting stories when they're done well. People (not necessarily you) moan and bítch about Ubisoft open-world games but they keep making them because they're popular, easily accessible and largely the stories are pretty good to great (with the odd stinker here and there). There's a huge market for 7/10 and 8/10 games.

AC Origins was brilliant.

AC Odyssey was very good albeit it became bloated with the DLC.

AC Valhalla was completely unfocused and bloated beyond belief.

AC Mirage was a fun 7/10 throwback game.

Advertisement