Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

See HMV are coming back and opening shops ... no mention of games in this story ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly much prefer the 'japanese' button layout. It's always been way more comfortable. It was the default layout, but I think Sony us wanted to be different and changed it. A lot of early japanese games like ff7 had circle as confirm still while kojima kept it up for a long time, only changing it after mgs3. Since I grew up around the time of the snes it's felt like Sony are the awkward ones.

It doesn't help that both companies flat out took the button layout from the SNES and never changed it but at least Sony has very different icons, Microsoft uses letter but jumbled them up to confuse nintendo fans.

I suppose it's what you grew up with but I find changing between the two isn't that much of a change unlike when it's a game that doesn't allow inverting the y axis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can play with either layout, but for whatever reason my brain absolutely breaks for a few mins every time I use the Steam Deck and it has to readjust to the control layout there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You can remap the Switch layout at system level. I changed the face buttons to be like the Xbox layout. Mightn't be as helpful if you're more used to the PlayStation layout.

Even though R maps directly to RB and L maps to LB I am constantly hitting R instead of L and throwing my weapon away. Especially not good if you are on a sky island. Also, once I have it pressed I can't seem to abort it. Only way is to throw it into the ground and pick it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure I tried that. But now that I think of it maybe I was pressing A instead of B!!

Yep probably to used to the cancel/confirm set up that sony got totally wrong on playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'll wait for Sports Direct featuring Game.

Spend over €100 on Nike Air Max and get 50% off Call of Duty or Fifa 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 6,000 square foot space will have three floors and offer over 15,000 different products, including over 5,000 different vinyl albums and 5,500 different CDs. The shop will also stock over 3,000 pop culture products and 1,000 different t-shirt designs.

Something tells me you won't move for the funko pops; still cool to see HMV return tho'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah it sounds like Gamestop with music. They must be just taking all of GS's merch stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was looking up simulator games to find one I might like and I just saw a game on PlayStation released in February of this year, Hobo: Tough Life. Jaysus, it's a homeless person simulator :O

The ultimate survival game. I wonder if you can do embarrassing, demeaning youtube challenges for food or if you have to avoid getting your tent set on fire by the alt-right yobs.

Death Stranding is free again in the Epic store for those who missed it:

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/death-stranding

I had been really enjoying this and then TOTK came along. Guess I won't be getting back to Death Stranding for a long while, if at all!

Red Dead Redemption has just 13 years old and Red Dead Redemption 2 will be 5 years old in October.

Dogs

I took out my Fallout 4 Pip-Boy today. The last time I put it on my arm was probably on the day it was released.

I was using a Microsoft Lumia 640 Windows Phone back then, so in order to fit my phone into the Pip-Boy I had to remove the back cover and tape down the battery.

Only thing I remember about the pipboy was a bunch of people on one of the clickbait sites, don't think it was gametrailers, maybe G4, wearing them while ripping into jeff gerstmann's (very generous ) 7/10 review of fallout 4. Shilling for the game will dismissing a poor review of it was both poor form while totally invalidating your argument.

I think the Fallout 4 upgrade will be announced at Bethesda's showcase in June. I like the dabbling in Fallout 4, but it's a depressing place to spend large amounts of time in. Or maybe I'm not playing it right or just underpowered.

Also lots of Starfield details. A developer releasing an AAA open world game after TOTK had better make sure it's relatively bug free or they will be crucified.

The long delayed system shock remake is finally coming out on 30th may. Played the original a few years back and it absolutely holds up so hoping the remake isn't a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never actually played the very first one, only number 2; always seemed like it was the one with the larger footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think they're missing a trick here and genuinely can't see a narrower release window (from PS5 to PC) impacting sales.

System shock 2 is way more accessible. SS1 was unplayable on modern systems for years, it was also incredibly rare and fetched a high price. The controls were also proto WASD but used QWES so it was impossible to get used to and no way to remap buttons. Mini system shock did come out a few years ago and made it playable but it takes a while to get into as well. I prefer ss2 but ss1 is still great. Absolutely amazing soundtrack as well. More people played ss2 for sure.

No surprises there. Sony like to make people buy the same game twice through remasters and PC ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Was away for a few days and started playing Netflix games on the phone.

They have a decent selection but the stand out for me is "into the breach". I'd played it ages ago on the switch but it really is suited to the phone too due to the turn based nature of it and the size of the map which is essentially a chess board.

It's an amazingly addictive and compelling game. You start with a squad of 3 different classed units that have there own unique abilities and attacks. You can unlock more pre made squads and also mix and match the units from different squads.

You can get randomised upgrades for the pilots and the mechs either through xp, or mission rewards, or random pods in game.

There are 4 islands to take on that have different terrain. Each has a series of different missions with randomised enemies and an end boss battle.

Anytime you lose all your power it's game over, but you can save 1 pilot to bring with you as you start again.

If you have netflix give it a bash. Kentucky road zero is also there. Going to try that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Through remasters, sure. But I'm not certain many are buying on console only to buy again several years later on PC.

Was thinking that over analysis of video games or over consumption of video game analysis can diminish games for me.

Was playing TOTK and came across a chest and then thinking "oh they designed it that way so it would look like a personal discovery for me". And I stepped out of the moment.

I like the fact that weapons break so that I don't need to give a crap about hoarding stuff. The actual thing that killed Skyrim for me was all the shite I was horarding and afraid to get rid of. And the anxiety and time wasted managing it all.

I actually didn't know weapons breaking was a "thing" in recent Zeldas only I've read about people criticising it.

So, now when I weapon breaks I am stepping out of the moment.

I think it's best to just pick and play games that get excellent reviews and not to get into the nitty gritty of criticism otherwise it just seeps into your thinking while you play the game. At least for me. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d have the total opposite opinion. Engaging with smart criticism and analysis of games can massively enhance your understanding and appreciation of them.

I'm with JU on that. Love a deep dive into a game and its mechanics and how it can give you more appreciation about what the game devs were trying to achieve and a better understanding of it. Game devs as well can learn an awful lot from it.

• Advertisement

Yes I meant people would buy the remasters on PC.

Advertisement