Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw this on Reddit. I had zero idea Max Payne 2 was getting a remake, apparently it was announced over a year ago. I'm usually up to date on gaming news but that one slipped by me. One of my favourite games.

Also, Lollipop Chainsaw? I would've thought that would be far too niche for a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Think Lollipop Chainsaw's getting revived since James Gunn is 10 times the name he was when the original released.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah I made that comment knowing it would ruffle a few feathers. I would like to give it a go. Sounds interesting anyway. Let's see what Nintendo come up with next, see if they can tempt me.

Just picked up a 55" C2 today, so I'm like an excited child waiting for it to get dark so I can really see it shine. Perfect timing for Rift Apart to come to PS+. Ghostwire should look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's a pity a few of the confirmed ones are in trouble; layoffs at the studio doing The Witcher remake, KOTOR and Sands of Time enduring indefinite delays. Hopefully Ubi learn from the mistakes on SoT when it comes to Splinter Cell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isn’t The Witcher remake at a different studio than the one hit with layoffs? Hard to keep track of all CDPR’s projects, but seems the layoffs focused on The Molasses Flood which is making a different Witcher spin-off.

On that note, it’s crappy to see a small studio acquired and then have so many people laid off barely two years later. Molasses Flood was covered in one of Jason Schreier’s books - I know they struggled with their second game, but still seems like they barely had enough time to grow and experiment at CDPR before having their whole project revamped and rescoped. Also alas one of the perils of announcing a game so early in its development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah, cheers - completely forgot there had been a spin-off announced as well as the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Battle Talus I curse thee to the depths

Definitely won't be my last 5am Tears of the Kingdom oh crap it's 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

Whats not getting mentioned about Tears of the kingdom is how its absolutely perfect as a couch co op experience with your partner, my wife is happy out sitting on the couch pointing out stuff that may need investigating and helping out with the absolute ingenius shrines.

Wish it came out in the heights of winter so we didnt feel as bad sitting in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new take on the Talus gave me a bit of a shock.

"That bandit camp looks like easy pickings"

**Ground rumbles**

"Ah jaysus!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

So those guys are ridiculously easy due to the nature of " I wonder if I can do this" gameplay

Oh of course I can do that, easy pickings now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jaysus, @Penn only got a switch last week and he’s already a named character in Tears of the Kingdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was thinking that these are Hyrule's Battle Elephants, except you don't feel bad having to kill them. Nintendo genius. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The one thing I asked was that they make my nose smaller..... Those bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

The fuse system has definitely made weapon degradation less annoying for me.

Aside from just lashing some things together to see what happens, raiding camps can occasionally provides items that give a serious attack boost through fusing.

So instead of being annoyed at a weapon I like breaking, I’m constantly looking for stuff to upgrade what I have. Also having upgrade materials on-hand means I don’t have to go to the bother of trying to find the weapon I like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Word to the wise there's an option in the menu to unfuse stuff from your equipment if you want to change it. You'll lose whatever the item you fused was but if it's a rock or a bokoblin horn or something who cares

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To me this works backwards. I almost always want to destroy the weapon and keep the material but you can only destroy the material and keep the weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

Allowing that would be game-breaking really. For example, it would allow you to constantly fuse the same diamond on multiple weapons for +25 damage and sell it off for 500 rupees when you’re done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Any chance we could keep the Zelda chat to the Zelda specific thread here? Just so I don't have to keep checking both of them for tips n tricks. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Dunno - Tall necks in Horizon ZD & FW might edge it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

I was thinking this at first, experimenting with new things certainly mitigates how horrible the whole system was in BOTW, but the sheer awkwardness of the process of going into your inventory, finding the thing, dropping it on the ground, going to the weapon select menu to pick the right weapon, picking the fuse ability, then fusing is so annoying. They could have streamlined it by making it work the same as the arrows do when fusing from your inventory.

If it was now and then it would be ok but practically every single encounter involves at least one weapon breaking. Not to mention axes and rock clubs breaking while exploring so there's never any respite from the constant weapon management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Really looking forward to the release of Firmament tomorrow (Cyan Worlds) I loved Obduction, Myst etc.

Nate

Have to say, playing the Switch for marathon sessions over the past week shows what a little wonder the Pro controller is. Dozens of hours battery life, while still being a comfortable, modern controller (if not quite as bells and whistley as some of the competition). In contrast, a single four or five hour session would probably just immediately wipe out a charge in other standard controllers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, in fairness, the Xbox controller lasts for days too.

Have to admit I haven’t used a wireless Xbox controller since the 360 days, so may well be the case! Obviously they do require battery refreshes / replacement extra plug and charge kit so a little different to the all-in-one unit, though know there’s a good argument that’s a bit more environmentally sound in terms of extending a device’s longevity!

I’d probably trade some functionality in a DualSense in exchange for a longer battery life, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow, playing GTA V for a while on my PC with my OLED C2 is amazing. The premium Freesync is a lot better than the built in adaptive sync on my old 4k 120Hz Tv. I have been so busy playing the Witcher 3 on my Xbox the last while I never played GTA V on my new Tv. I do not know what it is about GTA V but I love just driving around or walking and climbing things or other times just go on a rampage it has it all. Some times I just start the game from the beginning and play it through for the umpteenth time. I've said it loads of times but I played the 360 version the Xbox one version and PC version and also the Series X version. I really should boot up the Series X version and see what it's like on my new Tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I get the dual sense can do magicall things but 95% of games i play, i go straight into settings and turn off haptics and those stupid adaptive triggers. No it doesn't feel like a gun is getting jammed, it feels like i can't press the button down fully like i want to. Also turn them off to save some battery as the battery life is awful but damn it does feel good to hold.

Some 1st party games make great use of the haptics and triggers but because Sony wants all games to give them a use, most companies put in the smallest effort and just ruin the triggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bought a Pro controller with the Switch and I definitely have that mentality of checking the battery to see how long is left, given how often I have to switch between Dualsense controllers and have one charging while I'm playing with the other.

That said, after about 20-30 hours so far in BOTW, one thing has become abundantly clear; I will never, ever get used to the controller layout. Not just the Japanese thing of pressing A (Circle) for Confirm and B (X on PS) for Back, but just the button prompts.

'Press A' - I press B

'Press X' - I press A, B, or sometimes mash both and wonder why I'm still not gliding

'Press Y' - .....the f*ck is Y?

'Press ZL' - THAT'S NOT A REAL BUTTON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Gyro controls are excellent for fine control aiming. Nintendo do this really well. Sony has it on a few games and Microsoft don't even support it on XBox.

Advertisement