Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, apparently "Dedsec" has hacked all the ubisoft games and also hacked their prices. Not a bad advertisement, even if the sale doesn't approach the usual holiday sales.
    It took me by surprise when I saw it. I just hope it returns to Vaas again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder what Dedsec would make of sex pests being moved around parishes departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wonder what Dedsec would make of sex pests being moved around parishes departments.
    Probably the same as what Geralt of Rivia thinks about crunch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I honestly thought that this was the Onion for a moment, but no, Gamestop are actually doing this:

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1323668040005898241

I mean seriously, win a company competition and your prize is the ability to work more hours? During Black Friday? That's bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CatInABox wrote: »
    I honestly thought that this was the Onion for a moment, but no, Gamestop are actually doing this:

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1323668040005898241

I mean seriously, win a company competition and your prize is the ability to work more hours? During Black Friday? That's bleak.

I read the tweet and was about to laugh at you for getting pulled in by an 'Onion' article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would assume that's 10 hour off, as in 10 hours added to your timesheet for that week/weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Varik wrote: »
    Would assume that's 10 hour off, as in 10 hours added to your timesheet for that week/weekend.

Seems to be 10 hours extra for store management to allocate an extra employee(s) during BF week.
    Nothing sinister about it really, just not for general consumption.
    Wonder if Leo leaked it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

“The winner of the challenge will receive an Echo 8, Echo Auto, $100 VISA gift card, and 10 additional labor hours to use during Black Friday week,”

Clarity needed on the labor hours part, but I'd take that to mean 10 hours off over Black Friday, which in fairness if I was working in America, I would dance naked for that. Imagine working Black Friday in America during a pandemic... Ah, no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pixelburp wrote: »
    Speaking of mobile games, whoever made "AFK Arena" sure has pumped a tonne of money into YouTube ads.

what's a Youtube ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »
    what's a Youtube ad?

I watch YouTube ads on anyone I'm subscribed to. The same way I have ads on this website, to support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mod Edit For taking my idea about how great I am.

[/delete]Whatever ye think about Mods on Boards, be thankful it's not like Reddit. I rarely post on reddit but I found some new info on a game, posted it to that reddit, instant comments discussing it and then a mod posted the same info in a new post. 2 minutes later, my post was deleted by a mod. That's just sad.[delete]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever ye think about Mods on Boards, be thankful it's not like Reddit. I rarely post on reddit but I found some new info on a game, posted it to that reddit, instant comments discussing it and then a mod posted the same info in a new post. 2 minutes later, my post was deleted by a mod. That's just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Whatever ye think about Mods on Boards, be thankful it's not like Reddit. I rarely post on reddit but I found some new info on a game, posted it to that reddit, instant comments discussing it and then a mod posted the same info in a new post. 2 minutes later, my post was deleted by a mod. That's just sad.

You get what you pay for, a bunch of sad little kings on their sad little hills.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah Retr0, I think you make a great point

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reddit can be a cesspool of a place when some mods are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    *downvotes*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Slight rant alert: Does RDR2 get any better as you get into it? Started playing it this week (PC) and incredibly disappointed.

The laughable "realism" seems to be a load of QTEs designed to pad out the playing time. As does deliberately concealing important gameplay features until you just happen to stumble across them or give up and google them. Finish a story mission that puts a bounty on your head and you're warned that certain towns and nearby activities will be locked until you clear the bounty - but not told how to. Then travel back across the map to start another story mission that shows as available, but changes to locked as soon as you enter the bounty regions, so you've wasted your time. All of it just comes across as a deliberate choice to "extend" the playtime by frustration.

The UI is one of the worst I've seen in ages - I can shave my beard, sideburns, and hair to different lengths, but to access the binoculars I use all the time takes 4 interactions, with no way to rebind to a keypress.
    It seems full of, if not bugs, then glaring inconsistencies such as exactly when stuff magically vanishes from your horse.
    Or why my equipped weapons suddenly disappear.

The whole thing feels like somebody took any of the last 4 identikit Farcry games, and bolted on all the worst bits of GTA4. Instead of driving around with my cousin talking about bowling I spend half my time trotting around at 30% speed listening to various gang members talk similar nonsense. I can pick my saddle in 16 different colours but can't specify a constant weapon loadout.

I'm only about 15% through (about halfway through Chapter 2) because once I got out of the on-rails first two hours I decided to have fun exploring the world. But I just feel like instead I'm constantly being punished by arbitrary poorly explained or implemented mechanics.

So maybe it gets better as more stuff unlocks further in, in which case I'll stick with it. But right now I just feel like uninstalling and spending my time on something else that's actually fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely uninstall it. I was in the same boat and its frustrations just kept increasing as I worked my way through to its underwhelming and overlong epilogue. Really regret not dropping out sooner.

RDR2 is simply a bad video game. As you say, the ‘realism’ just gets in the way and is basically just a whole lot of extra layers of time wasting on top of typical video game logic anyway. The gameplay systems don’t evolve in any meaningful way, and even the more diverse set pieces often just feel like tutorials for mechanics that are swiftly disregarded. The game’s internal rules are wildly inconsistent, hence why the game just often randomly decides what weapon you have equipped when you get off your horse.

It’s absolute junk (albeit pretty junk with a handful of fun set pieces over its 50 torturous hours), and there are many, many better ways to spend your time. RDR2 actively wastes your time in ways more akin to the worst free to play video games.

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Agree on it being shìt. It would make a great western movie but it makes a terrible videogame.

I'll always recommend NakeyJakey's video on RDR2. He puts it way better than I ever could.

The last few chapters really dragged but i loved the epilogue, was worth getting through the few chapters before it.

Let me reiterate. Calling it shít and not worth a playthrough or uninstall is madness since the guy paid for it he may as well experience it for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It had its moments, but it was wrapped up in so much bullsh*t that it was a real struggle at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What it does good, it does really good, but yeah, the "realism" gets in the way of the fun. I did finish it, but it took effort and I traded it in straight away afterwards, and haven't even been inclined to go back to it at any stage, the online parts just aren't for me. One thing that never improved while I had it (and not sure if it's still the same) is the horrible lack of fast travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

MOH wrote: »
    Slight rant alert: Does RDR2 get any better as you get into it? Started playing it this week (PC) and incredibly disappointed.

The laughable "realism" seems to be a load of QTEs designed to pad out the playing time. As does deliberately concealing important gameplay features until you just happen to stumble across them or give up and google them. Finish a story mission that puts a bounty on your head and you're warned that certain towns and nearby activities will be locked until you clear the bounty - but not told how to. Then travel back across the map to start another story mission that shows as available, but changes to locked as soon as you enter the bounty regions, so you've wasted your time. All of it just comes across as a deliberate choice to "extend" the playtime by frustration.

The UI is one of the worst I've seen in ages - I can shave my beard, sideburns, and hair to different lengths, but to access the binoculars I use all the time takes 4 interactions, with no way to rebind to a keypress.
    It seems full of, if not bugs, then glaring inconsistencies such as exactly when stuff magically vanishes from your horse.

The whole thing feels like somebody took any of the last 4 identikit Farcry games, and bolted on all the worst bits of GTA4. Instead of driving around with my cousin talking about bowling I spend half my time trotting around at 30% speed listening to various gang members talk similar nonsense. I can pick my saddle in 16 different colours but can't specify a constant weapon loadout.

I'm only about 15% through (about halfway through Chapter 2) because once I got out of the on-rails first two hours I decided to have fun exploring the world. But I just feel like instead I'm constantly being punished by arbitrary poorly explained or implemented mechanics.

So maybe it gets better as more stuff unlocks further in, in which case I'll stick with it. But right now I just feel like uninstalling and spending my time on something else that's actually fun.

one of the best single player campaign ever made.
    absolutely superb detail. I loved every second of it.
    I will say though. you cant play it when your tired as it is set in a huge open space meant for riding and exploring. I would stick it on after a day in work and would be asleep in 30min. this is no reflection on how good the game is . just the way it plays. Definitely my top 3 games this generation.
    My teenage son and Daughter both aso played it to completion and both where blown away.
    Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Multiplayer is complete SH1TE. totally broken and doesnt work at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Let me reiterate. Calling it shít and not worth a playthrough or uninstall is madness since the guy paid for it he may as well experience it for himself.

As a modern games player you likely have a pile of games on your backloggery. Practically every one of them is better than the piece of **** that is rdr2.

Don't waste your time with it and play something good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

MOH wrote: »

I had a lot of these same issues. What is weird is I just beat a game called Pathologic 2 which also bakes into its design some very frustrating and un-fun elements, yet it's totally in tune with what that game is trying to be. In RDRII everything feels way out of harmony, it's like systems and mechanics for their own sake. It doesn't seem to add up to anything other than a very technically impressive product that doesn't really have anything to offer other than a screenshot generator

It also takes up 100 gigs storage, definitely better spent on other games.

Advertisement