Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Philip Sheridan

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

JEB Stuart was greater than this yellow belly Yankee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Robert E Lee said that: "I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the
    sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered."

The Romans didn't celebrate 'triumphs' in civil wars.
    It shouldn't happen in Northern Ireland (and the Boyne was a civil war battle).
    It shouldn't happen in the USA.

You commemorate soldiers where they fell, or you mark with a plaque where they were born. So I'm ok with the people of Cavan being too cheap to put up a statue to one of their most famous sons, and going with a plaque instead.
    On this one occasion, their stinginess had led them to the right decision.

Plus I heard he was so good at whuppin dem Injuns as he made every bullet and horse count.
    In true Cavan fashion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Statue of this fella in Killenkere just outside of Virgina Co. Cavan...

The town named in honour of her majesty Queen Elizabeth 1st of Great Britain and Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The town named in honour of her majesty Queen Elizabeth 1st of Great Britain and Ireland???

Yes well like a lot of towns in County cavan, it was founded during the plantations which give them a distinct structure. Generally wide streets to facilitate trading, as was a prominent lace trade in the region

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Virginia is a nice spot.. used to live there myself for a few years.

Anyway, no leave the statue alone. It's not that I even remember seeing it or anything, but FFS the hysteria over historical symbols and statues and whether they're still "acceptable" lately is just ridiculous.
    Maybe we should just rewrite or remove the parts of history we don't like so everyone can feel good. WWII was terrible and millions suffered.. let's all agree it never happened sure! :rolleyes: Absolute nonsense from those with too much time on their hands and access to the Internet.

In the past, bad things happened and sometimes to good people (and not much has changed). Get over it! Better yet, learn from it so we can try to avoid the same things happening again.

Oh and...

Much better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Robert E Lee said that: "I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the
    sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered."

The Romans didn't celebrate 'triumphs' in civil wars.
    It shouldn't happen in Northern Ireland (and the Boyne was a civil war battle).
    It shouldn't happen in the USA.

You commemorate soldiers where they fell, or you mark with a plaque where they were born. So I'm ok with the people of Cavan being too cheap to put up a statue to one of their most famous sons, and going with a plaque instead.
    On this one occasion, their stinginess had led them to the right decision.

Plus I heard he was so good at whuppin dem Injuns as he made every bullet and horse count.
    In true Cavan fashion.

So you agree with someone who was pro-slavery?

Ipso wrote: »
    So you agree with someone who was pro-slavery?

On the subject of slavery... no.
    On other subjects... yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So who gets to pick and choose, and from whom.
    Personally I don't trust the people on the statue brigade to choose what goes or not, and let's face it the stupid runs deep in a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Statue of this fella in Killenkere just outside of Virgina Co. Cavan, he was a Union General in the Civil War, his troops murdered thousands in including women and children and is associated in being the first American General to a adopt a scorched earth policy and burning confederate villages and towns.

Should this fella's statue be left standing, or is it different because he killed people for the greater good.

He also was one of the Buffalo soldiers who killed thousand of native Indians and also the American Military named a tank after him

His thinking, I understand, was to use a similar strategy of scorched earth against the Plains Indians - in their case the target was the buffalo.
    "The only good Indians I saw were dead".
    I think their is some dispute as to whether he actually said that.

Ipso wrote: »
    So who gets to pick and choose, and from whom.
    Personally I don't trust the people on the statue brigade to choose what goes or not, and let's face it the stupid runs deep in a lot of them.

I volunteer myself as a neutral party.
    I can take a 3 month sabbatical from work for an all expenses paid trip to Civil War statue sites.
    I will assess the statue's position in relation to known military sites and apolitical sites related to the person in question.

References available on request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Virginia is a nice spot.. used to live there myself for a few years.

Anyway, no leave the statue alone. It's not that I even remember seeing it or anything, but FFS the hysteria over historical symbols and statues and whether they're still "acceptable" lately is just ridiculous.
    Maybe we should just rewrite or remove the parts of history we don't like so everyone can feel good. WWII was terrible and millions suffered.. let's all agree it never happened sure! :rolleyes: Absolute nonsense from those with too much time on their hands and access to the Internet.

In the past, bad things happened and sometimes to good people (and not much has changed). Get over it! Better yet, learn from it so we can try to avoid the same things happening again.

Oh and...

Much better!

The statue is in Washington DC. That's probably why you didn't see it.

Advertisement