Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're an adult in Ireland when

Options
  • 22-08-2017 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

You walk into a post office and know what stamp to ask for.

You walk into a butchers and know how much and what kind of meat to ask for.

Your partner moves in with you into your parents home.

You become afraid of what your neighbours think and dare not speak or the big man in town will say something cross about you.

You hate snowdays because you haven't bought chains for your tyres in the last ten years.

You have children and then fail to realise the necessity for saving a little each week for the return to school and instead cry and whinge about having to spend money on copy books.

You dream of decking...decking which turns into an oil slip on a wet day then slowly rots in your 10x10 concrete yard.

You're still paying back a loan you took out for a wedding 6 years ago.

Facebook is your only social outlet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Been a while since you started a thread alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Been a while since you started a thread alright

Shame. All good things come to an end.

Shame. All good things come to an end.

Ah, he's been a good boy lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

But I'm an adult and relate to none of these?
    Who wants decking or snow chains..

And I am prepared to buy my kids school books..

Can i still be Irish please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You walk into a post office and know what stamp to ask for. My five year old granddaughter can do this

You walk into a butchers and know how much and what kind of meat to ask for. My twelve year old grandson can do this

Your partner moves in with you into your parents home. Fair enough but you're more of an adult if you get your own gaff

You become afraid of what your neighbours think and dare not speak or the big man in town will say something cross about you. More a sign of not being an adult

You hate snowdays because you haven't bought chains for your tyres in the last ten years. 95% of the adults in the country have been demoted to non-adult so

You have children and then fail to realise the necessity for saving a little each week for the return to school and instead cry and whinge about having to spend money on copy books. So no sensible person who plans and budgets for their family is an Adult? Hardly

You dream of decking...decking which turns into an oil slip on a wet day then slowly rots in your 10x10 concrete yard.Really? Decking is a mark of an adult?

You're still paying back a loan you took out for a wedding 6 years ago. I despair

Facebook is your only social outlet Ditto

I lost the will to live reading those. If those are the marks of an adult in your world I'm glad I don't live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

When there's a big piece of wood in your shed, and it's sole and only purpose is for stirring paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

You become afraid of what your neighbours think and dare not speak or the big man in town will say something cross about you.

You hate snowdays because you haven't bought chains for your tyres in the last ten years.

You have children and then fail to realise the necessity for saving a little each week for the return to school and instead cry and whinge about having to spend money on copy books.

You dream of decking...decking which turns into an oil slip on a wet day then slowly rots in your 10x10 concrete yard.

Ahhh lovin Dublin

Your life sounds miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

... when you don't find spammers & trolls funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well mother tonight, will you look at the state of him. Sure 'tis cruel.

• Advertisement

I can't find my raincoat, had anyone seen it ?

NBRU have hidden it. Part of a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You realise that the corruption is as staggering as the scenery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

lol so tru onlee in irland nd nowher else!!!!! xxxx :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The attitude "Think of Number 1 above all other things" gaining mass following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You get more interested in poltics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You start to worry about leaving the immersion on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

You know you're an adult in Ireland when you know what USC stands for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who the fcuk buys snowchains here?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Hair begins to grow where there was no hair before.

You can stay up late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,278 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Candie wrote: »
    Your life sounds miserable.

no need to be such a *unt. This is meant to be a humerous thread.

when you take exception to what a stranger says on the internet says, even if its not about you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Can't say I would relate to anything in OP but anyway-

You can't walk past an off licence without children asking you to get beer for them which you refuse to do but remember when you used to do that too.

Addressing your old teachers by their first names when they insist that you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

You start to worry about leaving the immersion on..

When you have to endure a version of this "joke" repeatedly forever.

I loathe this "you know you're Irish when" crap. Call me bitter if you like but there is nothing cringier than this shìte.

And is the OP in the US? That list was a load of bóllocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

When other people speculate that there might be something ''off'' with you because you're not married and you don't have any kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When you find yourself telling the kids to "whissssssht, the news is on!"
    Getting excited over special offers on toilet rolls, calculating how much each roll costs, and checking the weight of two different brands to see which feel more substantial. Actually, maybe that's just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Where in Ireland are you that you need snow tires? A real Irish adult realizes that if too snowey to drive you just stay at home and its a legitimate excuse for missing anything.

You can go to the cinema on your own if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I lost the will to live reading those.

That can happen at your age, don't worry too much 😋

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

benjamin d wrote: »
    When you have to endure a version of this "joke" repeatedly forever.

I loathe this "you know you're Irish when" crap. Call me bitter if you like but there is nothing cringier than this shìte.

And is the OP in the US? That list was a load of bóllocks.
    Ah go easy on Gremlinertia - their post actually IS something that's a very Irish adult worry. :)

I agree with you otherwise though - those "Only in Ireland lol" things can mostly be found in any country, not just Ireland.

The items in the opening list are not all specific to Ireland and certainly not all specific to adults, and some of them are just bizarre random digs.

Lack of perspective and ludicrous blowing out of proportion seem on the rise in Ireland though, e.g.
    You realise that the corruption is as staggering as the scenery

Advertisement