Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stole a Pen form TKmax

Options
  • 22-08-2017 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    My friend done a stupid thing the other day where he took a pen from a set that has both a wallet and a pen inside. It costs 22 euro for the set but anyway he took the pen from the set and when leaving TKmax he was stopped, when he was stopped he was taken to a back room. He was given a barring notice of a year and sent on his way. he has to give his details to the security and that was the end of it. will my friend get a letter in the door about this or even a fine ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I very much doubt you will. The security cannot do anything or fine you, they probably didn't think it worth their while to call the guards.

He'll be fine. Just keep him away from any stationary for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Once he does not go back to tkmaxx for a year he'll be fine. Chances are he's in a photo book, and as he's been told he's banned from the store, if he entered the store they could publically march him out.

He's a feckin eejit - and quite lucky they didn't take it further. Some stores would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I very much doubt you will. The security cannot do anything or fine you, they probably didn't think it worth their while to call the guards.

Their tactic in TKMaxx (and presumably other retailers) is to give you the 'opportunity' to pay them a fine to stop them proceeding with prosecution. I'm not sure if they call it a 'fine' but that is the end result. So there could be a little note in the post over the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deadpool123

they never said anything to him about a letter/fine and they gave him a letter about being barred from the store in person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seriously not a big deal. Your friend is a bit of an eejit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Their tactic in TKMaxx (and presumably other retailers) is to give you the 'opportunity' to pay them a fine to stop them proceeding with prosecution. I'm not sure if they call it a 'fine' but that is the end result. So there could be a little note in the post over the coming days.

I've never heard of this "tactic" and would presume it's somewhat illegal aswell. I've worked for a few retailers and majority seem to have a prosecute no matter the circumstances policy. I think it's the best policy as for a first offence the guards give an informal warning usually which frightens the vast majority from doing it again.

OP I'd say your friend will be fine, just avoid that retailer for the year and avoid stealing anything again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I'd say you, I mean "your friend" will be fine. Just ignore it. The gardai won't be in touch now so the most you could get is a letter in the door about a fine. Which you dont have legal grounds to have to pay.

Don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Their tactic in TKMaxx (and presumably other retailers) is to give you the 'opportunity' to pay them a fine to stop them proceeding with prosecution.

That's called blackmail. I can see that the motivation may be innocent enough - save the courts and the cops the bother/time/paperwork involved in a prosecution for a trivial case of shoplifting but it's still illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I worked in retail for 20 years and never heard of this... I'm sure it's illegal... how could they force you to pay it? Blackmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The shame is punishment enough.....imagine being barred from TK Max for robbing a pen.

On a serious note, is there any underlying reason why he did this that he may need to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Your friend better get shot of these sticky fingers because it's a bad path to be going down. Forget the pen. Put it down to experience, but get shot of this stealing because the next thing you know you'll be downloading movies illegally, dealing heroin, and running over kids with your car.

Seriously though, cut it out. Not a good path to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Incorrect.

That applies in the UK where a "Civil recovery fee" is demanded or face civil court action for recovery of fees in relation to processing the offence.

To date no UK "fine" has ever been successfully litigated against.

Most stores now simply use a banning order which allows for the person to be frogmarched out of the store without any legal consequences for the store and thus the risk of such embarrassment means the person is unlikely to return to the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

anewme wrote: »
    is there any underlying reason why he did this that he may need to deal with.

Yep, he probably needs a pen!

... but you can probably buy a pack of 'em in Dealz for €1.49.

Seems like stealing for stealing sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No one is that stuck that they have to rob a crap pen out of a crap pen and wallet set out of TK Max....go to the bookies, theres loads of free little pens. I often wonder about people who rob "rubbish", I think there has to be an issue there.

If someone robbed 400 worth of clothes in TK Max, then youd say he was a stroker, but for somone to take something so insignificant, indicates a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Did he at least get to keep the pen:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Incorrect.

That applies in the UK where a "Civil recovery fee" is demanded or face civil court action for recovery of fees in relation to processing the offence.

To date no UK "fine" has ever been successfully litigated against.

Most stores now simply use a banning order which allows for the person to be frogmarched out of the store without any legal consequences for the store and thus the risk of such embarrassment means the person is unlikely to return to the store.

TKMaxx were certainly applying this tactic in Ireland in recent years - maybe 4-5 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He can write this one down to experience, if he had a pen that is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TKMaxx were certainly applying this tactic in Ireland in recent years - maybe 4-5 years back.

Based on the number of England football/rugby related items, goo-gahs with Union Jacks on them etc forever stuck in your average branch, I suspect TKMaxx don't realise this isn't the UK a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

brand new account, 2 posts. don't you mean YOU not a friend...
    Theft and now lying ....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

He'll be fine. Just keep him away from any stationary for a while

I don't understand. Keep him away from any stationary what? There seems to be a word missing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

DeirdreDee wrote: »
    I don't understand. Keep him away from any stationary what? There seems to be a word missing there.

pen - paper- write - stationary/stationery :confused:

Worked as a security officer for ten years and ended while in management. Unless the laws on larceny have changed since I left the industry and given this is Ireland and most of the laws are from the 1800s I seriously say they haven't there is no legal basis for any company to send out a letter demanding payment of a fine, larceny is a criminal not civil matter.

Such a situation where the police have not been called and actually cautioned and arrested your friend, would be seen as the security guards word against your friends and there can be no criminal charges brought retrospectively.

When I was working we never let anyone off with a warning due to the fact that we could leave ourselves open to claims of false arrest, the police were called for anyone we caught in possession of stolen property. In fact the law was/is so strict we often just held the hand off person (person who left the store with the goods) and the person who actually bagged the items we had to let walk unless they damaged the items by removing the security tags, but in that case we held them for criminal damage.

As others have said your friends a fecking tool and lucky not to have a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

pen - paper- write - stationary/stationery

Ah, the writer meant to use the noun "stationery" and not the adjective (and completely different word) "stationary".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sunny2004 wrote: »
    brand new account, 2 posts. don't you mean YOU not a friend...
    Theft and now lying ....

So Detective, if your saying I wrote "my friend" you would believe me due to having an old account and over 2k posts?

If its their friend, its their friend, if they are lying you can't prove otherwise so we should stick to what we know.

Op your friend might have some other issues, stealing a pen is not exactly something worth stealing.
    Maybe he likes the buzz of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Surely Argos is the place to go if you want to steal a pen.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if your "friend" was in the back office, the security asked him to sign the barring order and the friend said "can I borrow your pen..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

Fuk1n Dirtbird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Tell him to go to the bookies, help himself, pen lovers paradise!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@dzilla - please post civilly or don't post at all.

dudara

Advertisement