Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People you didn't know were dead until years later...and were gutted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lisa Robin Kelly - Laurie Foreman - That 70s Show

Brittany Murphy From clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Elmo wrote: »
    Lisa Robin Kelly - Laurie Foreman - That 70s Show

Brittany Murphy From clueless

Didnt brittany Murphy do a voice over in king of the hill as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didnt brittany Murphy do a voice over in king of the hill as well

Yup. Only my opinion but she was truly one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Elmo wrote: »
    Also the kid from The Client I think? Or is that brad renfro

That was Brad Renfro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

A guy I lived with for 2 years throughout college and my first proper job.

I found out this year that he died of a heart issue the previous year.

Here are two lovely memories I have:
    One night I came in all teary-eyed and 21 from a guy letting me down. W was up and said 'we need to talk'. He got me a glass of water and 2 paracetamol, and sat me down at one side of the table and him at the other - to give me the "talk about boys" at 21 years of age :D In that conversation, he told me it would get easier. He told me how highly he thought of me and I just needed to believe in myself. That boys would come and go, but that self-belief who get me through the worst of storms.

When I got my first graduate job, no-one made a massive deal about it except for him. He nailed down on what my future prospects would be and told me how proud he was of me. I never had a Dad. But in that house-share, I had W.
    Some nights he'd yell at us for coming in too late from Flannerys and making noise..but isn't that what all good house-dads do?

And then he moved out and we lost touch, and he became a real Dad. And I bet he was the most wonderful father in the world.

And then he passed away. And I wish he didn't. I wish I knew him more in the months before he died.

And, for his beautiful wife and child, I wish he hadn't died at all.

RIP, my good friend. For a time, you were.

• Advertisement

Vela wrote: »
    A guy I lived with for 2 years throughout college and my first proper job.

I found out this year that he died of a heart issue the previous year.

Here are two lovely memories I have:
    One night I came in all teary-eyed and 21 from a guy letting me down. W was up and said 'we need to talk'. He got me a glass of water and 2 paracetamol, and sat me down at one side of the table and him at the other - to give me the "talk about boys" at 21 years of age :D In that conversation, he told me it would get easier. He told me how highly he thought of me and I just needed to believe in myself. That boys would come and go, but that self-belief who get me through the worst of storms.

When I got my first graduate job, no-one made a massive deal about it except for him. He nailed down on what my future prospects would be and told me how proud he was of me. I never had a Dad. But in that house-share, I had W.
    Some nights he'd yell at us for coming in too late from Flannerys and making noise..but isn't that what all good house-dads do?

And then he moved out and we lost touch, and he became a real Dad. And I bet he was the most wonderful father in the world.

And then he passed away. And I wish he didn't. I wish I knew him more in the months before he died.

Im not able for this sorry to hear bout your friend :(

Vela wrote: »

Reminds me of one. Worked with a really decent guy back in the early 90s. I was a smart arsed teenager, he was about 10 years older, wild, life and soul of the party, loved by everyone. But he was always lovely. He'd come back to the hotel where I was night porter and have a few drinks, chat about life, everything. Always took the time and effort to talk to everyone.

Life moved on, it was in the days before mobiles or internet, lost touch with him. Heard years later he had died, drink related accident. Was holidaying with family near where he came from about 3 years back, asked around the village and found out where his family lived. Called to them and said I simply wanted to let them know their son/brother was a lovely man and everyone was left with very fond memories. They appreciated it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

George from the seventies version of The Famous Five took her own life some years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Yeah, how could you not know that....... only took me 16 years as I found out last year :P

He was a legend. Used to love those Ernest movies too.

From Wiki:

I knew that Jim Varney had passed away but am taken aback at how young he was, only 50 when he died!
    I'd have thought he was well in his 60's.

Just goes to show what cigarettes will do to a person.

(P.S. "Ernest Scared Stupid" was a damn good children's horror film, genuinely creepy :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Noveight wrote: »
    John Ritter.

Recently Comedy Central were continually running promo's for a show called '8 Simple Rules'.
    It seemed like a brand new show, your typical canned laughter sitcom.

Starred John Ritter. I remembered him from Three's Company and Googled him to see what shows/films he'd done since out of curiosity.

Thing was '8 Simple Rules' ran from 2002 to 2003 and John Ritter has been dead since 2003.

I had no idea he was dead. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Wasted a few hours of my life watching that crap.

its a brilliant movie .was very scary first time I saw it and you couldn't get better acting than tim curry as the clown .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

5 year old is a big Beatles Fan...had to tell him recently that half of them are dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I only recently found out that fantasy author David Gemmell died in 2006. On the plus side I do have an autographed copy of one of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

optogirl wrote: »
    5 year old is a big Beatles Fan...had to tell him recently that half of them are dead :(

Wait until you tell them about yoko!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

only last week I was watching Stephen kings IT the tv movie I was looking up the cast and found  out the main kid actor Georgies brother had commited suicide in his twenties . how sad he was great in that movie
    Was about to post that one myself.  Was watching IT a couple of years back and did the same thing to see what the cast looked like now.  Jonathan Brandis was his name, only 27 when he took his own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

The actor Charles Rocket.

He was in one of my favourite childhood films, Hocus Pocus.
    He also played the baddie in 'Dumb and Dumber'.

His cause of death was the most shocking thing - his throat had been slit and it was ruled a suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Syphonax wrote: »
    Richard Erwin Rood aka Ravishing Rick Rude my all-time favorite wrestler after James Brian Hellwig aka The Ultimate Warrior also dead. These were two of a number of idols I had from watching the WWF, had a soft spot foe the Demolition also, I use to re-enact their entrance into the ring and fighting styles with childhood friends when growing up and only found out from googling years later of their deaths.

http://www.deadwrestlers.net/2010s.html

So many in here. I found myself saying "what, when did he die?" quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The actor Charles Rocket.

He was in one of my favourite childhood films, Hocus Pocus.
    He also played the baddie in 'Dumb and Dumber'.

His cause of death was the most shocking thing - his throat had been slit and it was ruled a suicide.

He was supposed to be a nice man from what I read about him. In his last role he played a suicidal man:(

On a brighter note I see Leslie Philips is still alive. Also Kirk Douglas is still going strong. He is one tough son of a bitch to survive a stroke at 88

Mitch Hedberg, overdose in 2005.

No comedian before or since like him. Just didn't realise he had passed until years after when I had an "oh yeah, remember him, he was very good" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Luther Vandross, I was sure he was still alive and kicking, but googled him a few months back while listening to his music to discover he die in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Brandon lee watched the crow last year googled to see why he didn't do a sequel

brilou23 wrote: »
    Brandon lee watched the crow last year googled to see why he didn't do a sequel

Some people say he was murdered.just googled myself guy who shot him died last year from cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Land Before Time was one of my favourite films as a kid, wore the VHS tape out I watched it so many times.

Found out years later that the voice actress (Judith Barsi) behind the character Ducky was murdered while she was a child :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Barsi

Utterly horrific occurrence. Poor little kid. I knew her from her voicing the little girl in 'All Dogs Go To Heaven' which I loved as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Two deaths I wasn't aware of for well over a decade after they'd died, were Phil Hartman and Jim Varney.

Poor Phil Hartman. Awful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

People probably don't know that this guy died, sad Rip Colm Murphy.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2013/0730/465421-colm-murray-dies-aged-61/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Orville and Emu died...a tragic loss. I considered an rip thread but then realised they were "Muppets" (sort of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

valoren wrote: »
    Thing was '8 Simple Rules' ran from 2002 to 2003 and John Ritter has been dead since 2003.

I had no idea he was dead. :(

Yep, I think I only started watching "8 Simple Rules" in the mid noughties, so chances are John was dead before I'd ever heard of him :eek:

Couldn't believe it when I read it earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Orville and Emu died...a tragic loss. I considered an rip thread but then realised they were "Muppets" (sort of)

Emu didnt die. He quietly retired when Rod Hull had his tragic accident and died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Emu didnt die. He quietly retired when Rod Hull had his tragic accident and died.

Can't wait for his comeback tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

For me it was John Denver. Missed that somehow at the time. It's 20 years ago now.

Never knew that Boris Yeltsin had died either until years afterwards.

Advertisement