Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"High Street Trends" - River Island & Topshop etc...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well, to a point. Better quality t-shirts at higher price last much much longer than penny t-shirts. White pennys t-shirts go grey and stay grey after just one wear and wash

They should charge extra for that.
    It's like buying two t-shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Plain tees from a branded shop will fit better and last longer and are not as dear as the ones with graphics on them. They're good value imo if the fit is good. Penney's t-shirts are disgusting. Horrible cuts, horrible fabric, not dyed properly, won't last. No man should shop there for any clothes really. Unlike most women we tend to dislike being in shops all the time and tend to hold onto clothes longer, worth it to spend a bit more to get stuff that will last.

Someone mentioned next, I concur, their stuff is so overpriced for such dad style average stuff. They have nice jackets sometimes but again overpriced. But one thing I do get from them is boxers. The elastic lasts a good while and they don't put garish patterns or colour in.

River Island does some nice jeans, I also like pull and bear jeans which are pretty cheap. Topman the jeans are basically leggings I like em slim but not nuthuggers so I don't get jeans from there though I got a class denim jacket from there that fits perfect.

I haven't bought any new clothes for almost a year though, I can't afford it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I have muscle on my legs so those shops are a waste of time

How can someone who attends a gym regularly wear skinny jeans?

You need to educate yourself on the "Paul Galvin clothes" thread,my dear man >>>>:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I use the 2 for £10 tshirts from Next and RiverIsland for holidays, some times you get lucky and they wear well, other times its a lottery to even get tshirts that actually fit the same.

The RI "trend" gear I avoid, but they do have decent Oxford shirts and some of their tshirts are definitely decent for casual wear so I always end up with a few of them in the wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jojofizzio wrote: »
    You need to educate yourself on the "Paul Galvin clothes" thread,my dear man >>>>:)

As someone said: "Look at yer man, with the clothes bate onto him"

• Advertisement

What's really stupid is paying over the odds for say a blank black t-shirt in one of these shops rather than buying one for 2.50 in penny's.

Used to think the same till my brother visited and left some clothes because he didn't have room in his bags.. I'd never spend $50 on a plain t-shirt but love the ones he left. They're just better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Earthhorse wrote: »
    They often start out shapeless too. The cut of a lot of stuff in Penneys would make you wonder who they're making clothes for.

What species even sometimes!

I have a simple method that has served me well - if I need clothes, I go and have a look, if I like it and it doesn't cost the earth - (I seen a t shirt the other day for €85, would you fúck right off) I buy it. I couldn't give a toss what the name of the shop is or whether it's on trend or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

How come H&M hasn't been mentioned? It has to be the most generic of the lot, you buy something in there walk out of the shop and you almost always spot someone on the street almost immediately wearing the same item you've just purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Dramatik wrote: »
    How come H&M hasn't been mentioned? It has to be the most generic of the lot, you buy something in there walk out of the shop and you almost always spot someone on the street almost immediately wearing the same item you've just purchased.

Well, H&M does a lot of basics, that's one of its things; that's why you'll see a lot of people wearing stuff from there. It always seems less trend-driven to me than other high street shops. I like the place. It's a great alternative to Penney's if you are on a budget. It's just a bit more expensive than Penney's but the clothes are better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't like anything that is overtly branded or has a silly slogan on it, don't really care where it is bought from to be fair though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Who says anyone is following a trend by buying clothes in shops you can find easily? :confused: I'd find it weirder if someone went out of their way to avoid them.

Most of them have the same clothes anyway, I got a lovely jacket in River Island on sale when the exact same one was three times the price in Topman. But RI stuff is waaaay overpriced, sales and reductions are the way to go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KungPao wrote: »
    I only wear bootcut jeans, brown shoes, and a tasteful Ben Sherman shirt. A bit of lynx then I'm good to go.

Be careful now - all the gay hipster lads will be mad after you.

I mean they will slate you on here.

But secretly they will be mad after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I get all my clothes from Clotheslines.
    Their styles are so random you never know what you will find from one day to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've never been particularly fashionable and I'm OK with it. The price of some of the stuff is ridiculous.

I spend most of my week in "business casual" clothes of jeans and a shirt and that's fine with me. Besides, I find I'm more comfortable in a suit than say a tracksuit (which I don't even own any of). Ditto shoes rather than runners.

Had a girlfriend though who decided I need a new look, and suggested we go shopping and I went with an open mind, but the stuff she had me trying on had me looking like a 20 year old (I was mid-30s at the time). It was all explained though when I met her ex as he wore the same stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

KungPao wrote: »
    I only wear bootcut jeans, brown shoes, and a tasteful Ben Sherman shirt. A bit of lynx then I'm good to go.

Marry Me???? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Haven't worn a pair of Jeans since my early 20's over 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a complete turn off when men or women wear clothes from shops like Topshop and RiverIsland?

How do you tell what shop they bought their clothes in? I recognize those names. Zara, thats another one. Couldn't tell any of them apart though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a complete turn off when men or women wear clothes from shops like Topshop and RiverIsland?

It's not so much where the clothes are from but the fact that they see dictate some sort of trends that everyone wants to buy to fit in.

I prefer something more classy - nothing to do with price or look but rather this herd mentality. It feels like people lack some level maturity or identity.... Maybe it's just me but the clientele seem to be getting older.

Anyone else share these opinions?

Loads of classy pieces in RI and Topshop. I love both stores, they carry looks for everyone and I find the fits immaculate. I have an abundance of Topshop jeans that cost probably 50 euro from 5 years ago that are still perfect, I don't see why one wouldn't shop there.

I don't see herd mentality as being a thing, fashion trends change all the time, they follow the trends but they also stock basics and statement pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm not bothered by what other people wear and I don't feel any pressure to wear the clothes that "trend-setting" shops push. If I like it, I'll wear it. If I don't, I won't.

Clearly, there's a big market for that style of clothing so that's why it exists. Noone is forced to buy and wear the products they supply. It's perfectly easy to just walk past these shops and not give them two thoughts.

Advertisement