Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"High Street Trends" - River Island & Topshop etc...

Options
  • 21-08-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a complete turn off when men or women wear clothes from shops like Topshop and RiverIsland?

It's not so much where the clothes are from but the fact that they see dictate some sort of trends that everyone wants to buy to fit in.

I prefer something more classy - nothing to do with price or look but rather this herd mentality. It feels like people lack some level maturity or identity.... Maybe it's just me but the clientele seem to be getting older.

Anyone else share these opinions?

Comments

Usually the stuff is pretty awful, the stock of tops is black or white, and those teeshirts with "funny"/risqué messages a few years back...grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 InstantAthiest

Usually the stuff is pretty awful, the stock of tops is black or white, and those teeshirts with "funny"/risqué messages a few years back...grim.

Thankfully my fashion sense is immaculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Only stuff from shops in Warren street in London for me. Shops you have to call in advance to let them know your Rolls Royce will be arriving

The most depressing menswear can be found in the "Maine" section of Debenhams. For men who have given up on life and want clothes called things like "slacks"...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I buy stuff from both those places primarily because they do my sizes. Yes some of the stuff in there is a bit too trendy for its own good but they have plenty of tasteful stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I get my jeans from Topman because I find that their slim-fit range really accentuate my well-shaped buttocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah yes....I remember when i used to fit into Topshop clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I only wear bootcut jeans, brown shoes, and a tasteful Ben Sherman shirt. A bit of lynx then I'm good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 InstantAthiest

KungPao wrote: »
    I only wear bootcut jeans, brown shoes, and a tasteful Ben Sherman shirt. A bit of lynx then I'm good to go.

You'll go far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pfft. Wrangler jeans, red and black checked shirt, caterpillar boots and a black belt (preferably with a caterpillar buckle). That's style.
    If I want to do laid back, maybe tracksuit bottoms and a pair of black slip ons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Yeah they're all a bit stupid aren't they :D

The most interesting shop is Ralph Lauren in Kildare Village. A wonderful mix of yacht club types, and complete skangers. Though most of the stuff is pretty poor and overpriced, at least they make the effort to try brighter colours instead of drab black or white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Thankfully my fashion sense is immaculate.

I can smell your fedora from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What's really stupid is paying over the odds for say a blank black t-shirt in one of these shops rather than buying one for 2.50 in penny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

What's really stupid is paying over the odds for say a blank black t-shirt in one of these shops rather than buying one for 2.50 in penny's.
    The 2.50 one's gonna dissolve in the wash though.

Cheap teeshirts become a bit...shapeless. You notice it when ironing them, they kinda twist around over time. Now whether that's an issue worth paying 10 times more for is up to the individual...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

The 2.50 one's gonna dissolve in the wash though.

Pay 4 quid for one in Dunnes that holds its shape instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The most depressing menswear can be found in the "Maine" section of Debenhams. For men who have given up on life and want clothes called things like "slacks"...

That stuff if for ppl who are a bit maine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

They last far longer. I have some classic basic T shirts from Topshop that I got five years ago that are still perfect. No fading or bobbling. I've worn each of them once a week since I've bought them, so approximately 260 times. They each cost around €25.

Penney's stuff would last about a year with the same usage - terrible quality, understandably - and be about a fifth of the price. So about the same, you might say, but I'd rather go for longevity personally. Less shopping involved.

And I am still wearing them regularly and will get a couple more years out of them, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cheap teeshirts become a bit...shapeless. You notice it when ironing them, they kinda twist around over time. Now whether that's an issue worth paying 10 times more for is up to the individual...

They often start out shapeless too. The cut of a lot of stuff in Penneys would make you wonder who they're making clothes for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have muscle on my legs so those shops are a waste of time

How can someone who attends a gym regularly wear skinny jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Straight after your greatist post of all time Conor you come in telling us you iron your t shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

River Island - got some nice things in River Island - a suit, leather boots - but some of their sweatshirts and t-shirt designs are just totally not me. Their jeans can be very nice too. Only ever shop there during the sales as their stuff is way overpriced imo.

Top Shop was good for me in my disco bunny days. And their designs were much better in the late 90's/early 00's too. Wouldn't bother with it all nowadays - all looks very bland to me.

Next - how they manage to stay open I don't know. Prolly the women's section that's keeping it alive as the mens section is never busy. I can't think what type of person would buy from their mensware dept as it's really expensive for very old fashioned designs and not in any way trendy or distinctive.

Nowadays I'm be much more into likely to buy my casual clothes from private retailers that stock good brands rather than from those chain stores.

Stretchy skinny jeans is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I wanted to try out these trends but I took a wrong turn and ended up on the High Way. And not the High Street.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Straight after your greatist post of all time Conor you come in telling us you iron your t shirts

As much as I love her, I wouldn't leave my wife near my clothes when it comes to ironing. She doesn't really get the whole "work shirts need a crisp line along the arm" thing. Even when I lived at home, wouldn't leave my Mum iron my clothes, they don't invest enough care and attention to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ironing tshirts? Gway with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

These are the guys who forget leg day and sit in the gym doing bicep curls for an hour, imagining that the women will love their 'guns'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Is the top few buttons of the shirt open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wouldn't buy a t-shirt from River Island because they wouldn't fit me. If I saw someone else wearing one I wouldn't have a clue where they bought it nor would I give a shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well, to a point. Better quality t-shirts at higher price last much much longer than penny t-shirts. White pennys t-shirts go grey and stay grey after just one wear and wash

Advertisement