Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a shame to do a plc course?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I did a plc course and carried on to a level 8 degree.

I finished top of the entire engineering faculty. If you take it seriously its just another stepping stone in life.

If you only knew the drop out rates from the universities it would show you that the CAO is a guessing game for everyone, for some they get it right a massive percentage get it wrong and must take a different less direct path through life, often coming out the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Only asking because my parents are disappointed that I couldnt get into any dublin colleges and was accepted to nuig and ucc. They told me to do a plc and classified plc courses as "idiot courses" (they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points). For me, I see plc courses as a stepping stone to college, a way to overcome my "failure". So yeah, going to do pre-science so I could get into "smart" colleges like UCD or TCD. sigh my life

In general, does majority of people think it's dissapointing to do a plc?

Heya! I'm approaching the end of my PLC, but I wasn't planning to do it originally, it kind of just happened and I can fully say that I do not regret doing it.

I actually started college last year and left, and my course just wasn't right for me. Honestly, I didn't realise how unprepared I was for college until I did my PLC. It's made me a much more confident person and I feel a lot happier going back into college. Honestly, PLCs can really shape you, if you allow them to and it can serve as stable grounding for whatever course you wish to do in the future. You can really perfect a lot of academic skills such as assignment work, researching, exam study skills etc and I truly believe you'll be glad you did it once you reach college.

PLC courses are certainly not for idiots!

Anymore questions don't hesitate to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Only asking because my parents are disappointed that I couldnt get into any dublin colleges and was accepted to nuig and ucc. They told me to do a plc and classified plc courses as "idiot courses" (they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points). For me, I see plc courses as a stepping stone to college, a way to overcome my "failure". So yeah, going to do pre-science so I could get into "smart" colleges like UCD or TCD. sigh my life

Where are you from ? If you are from Dublin and come from a working class back ground it may explain why your parents want you to study in Dublin ie it may be to mask the fact they may not be able to afford for you to live away from home.

I was in a situation where I was told it's either commute to a Dublin college or uni or get a job as the money situation wasn't there for me to live away from home. I was never really academic and went on to do an apprenticeship

If it's none of the above its down to snobbery or ignorance on your parents part . Are your parents highly educated themselves ? Sometimes parents if they ve never been thru the college system don't understand sometimes achieving extremely high points is tough and not everyone gets to the top universities

My advice is do what you want to do and be assertive about it if you want to go to cork and can afford then go . If you really want to go to Dublin and it takes a plc course to achieve that then do that . There's absolutely nothing wrong with plc courses they help a good number of people achieve their goals in life . Only a certain of people can get into TCD or UCD and the likes and that's just life. Some people take a longer journey for education and sometimes it's down to economic s or not having the desired points etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Your parents don't understand the points system. UCD/TCD are high points because the population of Dublin is massive, and many students will stay in Dublin instead of moving. NUIG/UCC/NUIM etc etc are perfectly good colleges; for your parents to disregard them because the points are slightly lower is ignorance on their part. In fact, some ITs have excellent reputations for specific courses, and are regarded as better for that course than universities.

Your parents need a reality check on how the CAO works. Do the course YOU want to do and you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MichickoLee

okatied wrote: »
    I got my 1st choice in college but I considered that I was too young, I had just turned 16, so I did a plc course for a year. Best decision ever. The main thing was that I learned to type properly which has stood to me to this day.
    I had a very limited list of courses to choose from. It sounds like you're in Dublin so research different schools etc before deciding. Your closest option might not be the best for you

Omg I'm 16 too!! Gonna turn 17 at september, I live in Meath actually ;) What are you doing now may i ask?:D
    dev100 wrote: »
    Where are you from ? If you are from Dublin and come from a working class back ground it may explain why your parents want you to study in Dublin ie it may be to mask the fact they may not be able to afford for you to live away from home.

I was in a situation where I was told it's either commute to a Dublin college or uni or get a job as the money situation wasn't there for me to live away from home. I was never really academic and went on to do an apprenticeship

If it's none of the above its down to snobbery or ignorance on your parents part . Are your parents highly educated themselves ? Sometimes parents if they ve never been thru the college system don't understand sometimes achieving extremely high points is tough and not everyone gets to the top universities

My advice is do what you want to do and be assertive about it if you want to go to cork and can afford then go . If you really want to go to Dublin and it takes a plc course to achieve that then do that . There's absolutely nothing wrong with plc courses they help a good number of people achieve their goals in life . Only a certain of people can get into TCD or UCD and the likes and that's just life. Some people take a longer journey for education and sometimes it's down to economic s or not having the desired points etc .

My parents are asian and moved here like 20 years ago, they are both nurses and I'm an only child. They are your sterotypical asians that has high expectations and think high grades gets you anywhere in life...Alas this is my life:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

In general, does majority of people think it's dissapointing to do a plc?

Honestly your parents havent a clue what they are talking about
    Pretension of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My parents are asian and moved here like 20 years ago, they are both nurses and I'm an only child. They are your sterotypical asians that has high expectations and think high grades gets you anywhere in life...Alas this is my life:o

Tell them you're ashamed they never made it to be doctors, especially your dad... Only joking by the way.

You're only sixteen, no harm doing the PLC course. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Would agree here now that I've seen how old you are, a PLC course might be worth investigating but these might all be filled now for September especially a science course, I see in another post, you mention your parents are not financially in a position to fund your education away from Dublin, could you get a weekend job to help with finances. You also query if it possible to transfer from Galway to DCU, yes it is but places are limited and sometimes might not even happen given someone else needs to vacate a place in order for you to get one, but given there is a fairly high drop out rate after first year, then this may be possible. Usually a transfer takes place after completion of first year and generally you would need to have achieved a fairly high result in first year as competition for transfer places would be high. You would need to contact the registrar of the faculty in dcu to discuss this.
    Anyway, you have till next Monday to make up your mind, but if cao offered you science in Galway, then it would be very hard to refuse it, have you any accommodation organised?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Not to add to the stereotype but my parents are Asian and the exact same. They expect me to get certain grades and aim for certain courses. Luckily for them my interest already coincides with what they want me to do but if it didn't I'd be putting up a fight.
    If I were you, I'd explain things to them concerning how cao actually works, the different courses and colleges available and how not every single prestigious job only lands within the few handful of careers that they say it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Omg I'm 16 too!! Gonna turn 17 at september, I live in Meath actually ;) What are you doing now may i ask?:D

Also the son of Asian immigrants here (though I suspect a different type of Asian), I feel the pain ;)

My parents also hold very unrealistic expectations. I think it's important to be honest with them. I can't really say anything else that nobody has already said, but you do need to assert yourself. Speak your mind and be honest, they do want the best for you, and the best for you is what you would like to do. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 covfefe98

No it's not shameful and it depends on the course your going for. Not every course is covered by doing a PLC and I would be applying for them right now if it were applicable in my case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your goal is to get to the airport.

You can go by taxi, bus, hitch or walk. No matter which way you do it, you will still be at the airport with a lot of other people. Some ways of getting there are more interesting than others. Some teach you a great deal about yourself and who you are. Sometimes the longer, more difficult way is more worthwhile.

The people from the airline really couldn't be bothered how you got there. Once you are at the airport, you're at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bubble6

This country has a stigma that if you don't go straight to college you're somehow a "let down". This is absolutely ridiculous and the stigma plagues students to rush themselves into college without thinking things through thoroughly. PLC are incredibly useful for those who not just struggled to acquire the points but also those who struggled under the sheer pressure of the Leaving Cert exams. The people, mostly other students, who will look down at you because are doing a PLC course or even taking a gap year to recover are not worth your time and are, well, pretentious f***s tbh.

As someone who has scored above average in this years LC, I'm taking the year off to find a course I actually want and not the course my teachers proposed/beckoned me to do. It's your life and you will have to live with the (short-term) consequences, not them.

august12 wrote: »
    Would agree here now that I've seen how old you are, a PLC course might be worth investigating but these might all be filled now for September especially a science course, I see in another post, you mention your parents are not financially in a position to fund your education away from Dublin, could you get a weekend job to help with finances. You also query if it possible to transfer from Galway to DCU, yes it is but places are limited and sometimes might not even happen given someone else needs to vacate a place in order for you to get one, but given there is a fairly high drop out rate after first year, then this may be possible. Usually a transfer takes place after completion of first year and generally you would need to have achieved a fairly high result in first year as competition for transfer places would be high. You would need to contact the registrar of the faculty in dcu to discuss this.
    Anyway, you have till next Monday to make up your mind, but if cao offered you science in Galway, then it would be very hard to refuse it, have you any accommodation organised?

Yes, I found a room in a appartement with decent rent. I am going forward to science in nuig apparently:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Yes, I found a room in a appartement with decent rent. I am going forward to science in nuig apparently

If you have accommodation arranged and are happy with your course, then all is good, remember to contact Dublin college with regards to transferring back. There is a cut off date for this.

august12 wrote: »
    If you have accommodation arranged and are happy with your course, then all is good, remember to contact Dublin college with regards to transferring back. There is a cut off date for this.

Is the cut off date in the 1st of July? And what is the DCU or maynooth email about transferring( i can't seem to find it)?:(. And are they going to allow me to transfer based on my leaving cert points or my scores in first year nuig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Do your parents realise that points is absolutely nothing to do with level of difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I read something recently about colleges only keeping a certain number of places for students applying with a PLC and that competition is very tough, even if you get top marks in your PLC. This might have been just for nursing but it's something to look at.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's true for all in terms of numbers of reserved places which are offered on a competitive basis, though I suspect the competition for nursing is probably among the toughest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement