Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a shame to do a plc course?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Only asking because my parents are disappointed that I couldnt get into any dublin colleges and was accepted to nuig and ucc. They told me to do a plc and classified plc courses as "idiot courses" (they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points). For me, I see plc courses as a stepping stone to college, a way to overcome my "failure". So yeah, going to do pre-science so I could get into "smart" colleges like UCD or TCD. sigh my life

In general, does majority of people think it's dissapointing to do a plc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only asking because my parents are disappointed that I couldnt get into any dublin colleges and was accepted to nuig and ucc. They told me to do a plc and classified plc courses as "idiot courses" (they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points). For me, I see plc courses as a stepping stone to college, a way to overcome my "failure". So yeah, going to do pre-science so I could get into "smart" colleges like UCD or TCD. sigh my life

On the contrary. PLCs provide a good grounding in a future area of study and make college more meaningful and gives you a headstart on others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

PLCs are very valuable courses & a pathway to a lot of courses you may not qualify for now.
    They are level 5 (mostly) so you are moving up on the framework (6, 7, 8 CAO). Well done on having such a mature approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

I know a fair amount of people that did a nursing plc as they didn't get the points for nursing after the Leaving Cert.
    It was a really tough year for them, as they had to get something like 9 out of 10 distinctions in their modules in order to go forward for a Level 8 the following year.
    It really focused their minds on whether or not it was the career that they really wanted to go to college for, and they generally found themselves better able for the 1st year of their level 8... it's a great way to get a grounding in the subject before you commit to doing the level 8.
    I'd never consider a plc to be an "idiot course"... UCC and NUIG are really good colleges, I would really look into them if you have been offered one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Not at all, OP. As you quite rightly said yourself, PLC courses can be a stepping stone into college. It's not by any means a failure so please don't see it that way. My own son didn't get points he needed in his leaving cert last year and did a PLC course. I did one myself many moons ago. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HungryEmperor

Here is my personal experience from it. 4 years ago I missed out on my favored course of History and really didn't want to take my second choice. I really wanted to do my 3rd choice so I decided to take the year and do a PLC in Computers. I ended up loving it and I am now going into my final year of it looking to work in Computer Forensics. I didn't even need to use my points as I qualified for my course through the PLC.

Taking that year to do a PLC and figure out what I actually wanted was the best decision of my life. I have just come back from studying Computer Engineering with Spanish in Spain. I remember this day four years ago being the single worst day of my life, all my plans felt like they fell apart and I was in a bad place, thankfully I can say it all turns around and will work out for the best! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I've done both 'real college' and plc courses. Personally I find the plc courses better. No shame or 'idiotness' to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

(they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points)

Sounds like your parents could do with taking a PLC course in not being so ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The expense of going to UCC or NUIG may be prohibitive, but that aside there's no comparison between a UCC/NUIG course compared to a PLC.

A PLC can transition you into a Dublin college and if that's what you do go for it, but all things being equal ... there's life outside the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If it makes you feel any better OP, you already sound more mature and level headed than your parents so you do what you think is best. A PLC could be a great option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

I did a plc course many years ago. I now have a masters, I am in a job I love, in the industry I studied in.

The leaving certificate is not for everyone and too much emphasis is placed on it.. If a plc gets you where you want to /need to be why is it shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PLC but may I ask why aren't you going for your UCC or NUIG course? Is it your parents' opinion or some other reason? Don't turn a course down just because of your parents. If I had done that I wouldn't have benefitted from the opportunities my (10th choice) course gave me that my top course wouldn't have. Even my dad admits that now! Obviously if there's other reasons that's fine.

Do either a PLC or your CAO course, they'll both be great for you. Just don't make your decisions based on ignorant parents! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

I got my 1st choice in college but I considered that I was too young, I had just turned 16, so I did a plc course for a year. Best decision ever. The main thing was that I learned to type properly which has stood to me to this day.
    I had a very limited list of courses to choose from. It sounds like you're in Dublin so research different schools etc before deciding. Your closest option might not be the best for you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 N1tro

Done a PLC in 2010 , done my degree from 2011 till 2014 , done my masters last year.

I would have never got to where I am today working in a good job without going to a PLC, I done my leaving in 2009 and got around 215 points, and of course I was gutted, but I used a PLC as an opportunity to get extra certification on my journey instead if repeating the lc

Never shun a PLC, as in my opinion , its one of the safest ways to get into college, as if you don't like the field of study, the money wasted is far less to that of a degree course.

Also many people who I knew that slagged of PLCs, dropped out and even had to repeat.

Education is not a race but a marathon.

Do consider a PLC if its right for you, but don't listen to others as myself and the guy above who posted are proof that you can start in a PLC and get a masters

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The problem here is your parent's attitude, not the approach you have taken to this. PLC courses can be very good indeed, and provide a great foundation towards studying at level 6, 7 or 8 in college. I done a PLC course myself, which helped me greatly to get a place in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

I work in a third level institution and I wish more students would take a year and do a PLC before going to college rather than taking a course just for the sake of it. PLC students tend to get on really well once in college and like other posters have said it really does focus you to decide what you want to do if you're not sure (I'm not sure if that's the case for you). In the grand scheme of life it's one year and it can make all the difference in the long run. If you go the PLC route just be sure you do a course that is linked with the degree you eventually want to do.

Maybe get your parents to have a word with your Guidance Counsellor if they need reassurance. Sounds like you know your own mind though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

PLC's are great. I know a person now with a BA, MA and PhD.

And it all began with a PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Forget about your parent's disappointment, what do you want? This is about you and not your parents, Galway University has a wonderful reputation, is an NUI, same as Dublin University, lovely city and great experience for a young person, are you happy with the cao offer you got, if so, regardless whether in Galway or UCC, if this is the course you want, grab it. Your parents won't be doing the plc course, why waste a year doing a plc course to gain entry to Dublin if you have enough points to do same course this year in a great University. What is the course you have been offered?

Am not against plc courses, they are a fantastic option if and when needed and a stepping stone to third level qualifications, but in your case, I get the impression plc is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MichickoLee

Thanks for cheering me up guys <3

I wanted to do science in nuig so I'm applying for plc science courses ;)
    I work in a third level institution and I wish more students would take a year and do a PLC before going to college rather than taking a course just for the sake of it. PLC students tend to get on really well once in college and like other posters have said it really does focus you to decide what you want to do if you're not sure (I'm not sure if that's the case for you). In the grand scheme of life it's one year and it can make all the difference in the long run. If you go the PLC route just be sure you do a course that is linked with the degree you eventually want to do.

Maybe get your parents to have a word with your Guidance Counsellor if they need reassurance. Sounds like you know your own mind though.

Thanks for the reassurance bro! Yeah I'm going to do plc courses of pre-science anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Good luck! I also know what it's like having parents with high expectations.

I wanted to science in nuig so I'm applying for plc science courses

Did you get science in Galway through CAO today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Your parents are being ridiculous. NUIG and UCC are fine schools and the cost of living there will be slightly lower as well. College will be challenging no matter where you go, trust me. Your parents aren't doing the course, you are. And employers put far less emphasis on the name of your school than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MichickoLee

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PLC but may I ask why aren't you going for your UCC or NUIG course? Is it your parents' opinion or some other reason? Don't turn a course down just because of your parents. If I had done that I wouldn't have benefitted from the opportunities my (10th choice) course gave me that my top course wouldn't have. Even my dad admits that now! Obviously if there's other reasons that's fine.

Do either a PLC or your CAO course, they'll both be great for you. Just don't make your decisions based on ignorant parents! :-)

It's my parents choice apparently, nuig was my third choice (got 450 in the lc, they were furious with it) but they wanted me to go UCD or TCD which is a 500. My parents weren't even going to let me do science(they think it's useless compare to medicine or engineering)until a friend of their told them it makes lots of money. They can easily pay for my accomadation and fees but I think the reason why is that they just want to brag to their friends in facebook that their child is in TCD doing whatever course etc
    Your parents are being ridiculous. NUIG and UCC are fine schools and the cost of living there will be slightly lower as well. College will be challenging no matter where you go, trust me. Your parents aren't doing the course, you are. And employers put far less emphasis on the name of your school than people think.

Well my parents are the ones with the money so I have no choice but to abide to their orders, they are very able to fund for my accomadation and fees but all they want is to brag that their child was able to go to a "elite" school like TCD.
    :(
    august12 wrote: »
    Did you get science in Galway through CAO today?

Yes I did:D That's why I'm asking

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Sound like ****ty parents to blackmail you like that.
    It's your life, not theirs.

Do whatever the f*ck you want to do!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't feel the need to repeat so many valid points mentioned above,
    but ...
    (they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points).
    Points are all about supply and demand.

The population in the West is far lower than in Dublin / the East. You strike me as far too bright for me to have to join the dots for you.

Plus demand for TCD / UCD is driven up by the attitudes of parents / students who are like your parents.

I'm sorry to say it, Michick, but your parents strike me as uninformed snobs.

Your surname isn't O'Carroll-Kelly by any chance? :D

Try and end up doing something *you* want to do despite them. ;)

Well my parents are the ones with the money so I have no choice but to abide to their orders, they are very able to fund for my accomadation and fees but all they want is to brag that their child was able to go to a "elite" school like TCD.

Do you really want to do science?
    Would you be happy going to Galway?
    Will you be doing the exact same course in Dublin University or TCD after your plc as you would be doing this year in Galway.
    If the answer is yes to all these and you are passionate about doing the science course, then I would tell your parents to come down off their high horse and accept the choice you have made. If you feel iffy about the course, then by all means do the plc.
    I've never heard anything so immature with regard to your parents, they need a reality check on what matters in life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It's my parents choice apparently, nuig was my third choice (got 450 in the lc, they were furious with it) but they wanted me to go UCD or TCD which is a 500. My parents weren't even going to let me do science(they think it's useless compare to medicine or engineering)until a friend of their told them it makes lots of money. They can easily pay for my accomadation and fees but I think the reason why is that they just want to brag to their friends in facebook that their child is in TCD doing whatever course etc

From what I've heard NUIG have a good reputation for science. What do your parents expect you to do if you don't get into a Dublin college next year (judging by your posts I reckon that you have a good head and its unlikely that it would happen but just going on the what ifs) - will you have to do another year what ifs?

Surely it's better to show off that your child is in University than in an "idiot" PLC?

Sorry, I remember going through this when I did my Leaving so am possibly a bit sensitive about this. I got 395 and my first choice expected 520! Would you consider sitting down with your parents and talking this through? Take them through the course and compare it to what you would be doing in UCD/TCD. It seems unfair for you to miss out on a course for misguided judgments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

(they also think nuig is where dumb people go, cause it's all low points).

...So yeah, going to do pre-science so I could get into "smart" colleges like UCD or TCD. sigh my life

I don't know much about PLCs but I just want to point out that low points =/= easy course. Points literally just indicate demand for a course. Plenty of courses in TCD and UCD are around the 400 mark, some are lower. My course in TCD was about 470 in 2009 when I started, it was around the 500 mark two years later and it's 409 today. Same content, a lot of the same lecturers, yet 60 points lower than it was a few years ago. It really means nothing - look at the specific course requirements to see how difficult something might be.

There's absolutely no shame in doing a PLC to get you where you want to be, but if you have an offer in NUIG that'll have you qualified quicker, definitely consider it. NUIG, UCD, UCC and Maynooth all have the same awarding body anyway: you'll come out with an NUI degree regardless.
    (Though it sounds like your parents who need to realise all that, not you... good luck whichever route you go :) )

I think you need to sit down with mammy and daddy and have a grown up conversation with them, are they capable of understanding an adult conversation, after reading the above, I wonder. Wouldn't it be great to show them this thread. It might make them realise how immature and childish they are. You have a wonderful LC result, they should be really proud. If science in Galway is what you want, then accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

:(

You cant be that sure of your parents financial situation, they simply may not have the finances, or budgeted for you living at home and studying in Dublin. You really should have a frank and adult discussion with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The only shame here would be not doing the course which you want to do.

Don't settle OP, you'll only regret it.

Advertisement