Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose of Tralee - RIP?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know, and the least Daithi could do is put on a posher accent like Tubs or Miriam!

Will you stop FFS there are too many idiots with false accents on RTE and you are shocked by someone using their natural accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Was flicking around last night and watched a few minutes of it.

Not that I'm a huge fan, but at least when Ray D'Arcy was doing it there was an element of Tongue In Check Lovely Girls Competition about it. It was a bit knowing/fun.

Watching Daithi O Shea do it genuinely feels like I'm watching something from the mid to late 1800s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The Germany rose gets my vote from what I've watched of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's still very popular so it's going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

I know, and the least Daithi could do is put on a posher accent like Tubs or Miriam!

You're probably trying to be 'ironic' with this one, if so then it's really just a bad case of inverted snobbery.
    Tubs and Miriam, from Booterstown and Foxrock respectively, have middle-class Dublin accents because they're, eh, middle-class dubs.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Will you stop FFS there are too many idiots with false accents on RTE and you are shocked by someone using their natural accent.

Examples of 'false' accents on RTE please....btw, 'false' accents not to be confused with accents you don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You're probably trying to be 'ironic' with this one, if so then it's really just a bad case of inverted snobbery.
    Tubs and Miriam, from Booterstown and Foxrock respectively, have middle-class Dublin accents because they're, eh, middle-class dubs.

Examples of 'false' accents on RTE please....btw, 'false' accents not to be confused with accents you don't like.
    Meeriam O' Callaghan do you honestly think she talked like that when she started talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Meeriam O' Callaghan do you honestly think she talked like that when she started talking?

No. She said: ''Goo goo genuinely ga ga''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yeah, roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

CeilingFly wrote: »
    It makes a profit, it's on TV in mid week in August, not one cent of licence fee money is needed for it - if you don't like it you neither need to be involved nor watch it.

hence it can stay for as long as it likes for those who wish to watch it.

So the OB crew and Daithi and all the production staff do it for free or does the ROT pay for them for the week?

If not then it is our licence fee that is paying for it to be shown on RTE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

i had backed the german filly to win, close second, beaten by a dirty nose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Is it time to put it out to pasture?
    Hopefully brought out back and shot. I pay the feckin' TV license for something decent, not this typical RTE outdated crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So the OB crew and Daithi and all the production staff do it for free or does the ROT pay for them for the week?

If not then it is our licence fee that is paying for it to be shown on RTE

and RTE get to fill their schedules for a few hours and get advertising revenue during a show with good viewing figures. If they didnt show the rose of tralee they would have to show something else. that something else would also cost them money to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

VinLieger wrote: »
    Daithi asking yer wan from the US airforce was she not worried about Kim Jong Un and North Korea had to be the most cringe thing ive seen on Irish tv in recent memory

This is exactly why I haven't watched it in years, I think I would cringe so much I would need medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

This is exactly why I haven't watched it in years, I think I would cringe so much I would need medical attention.

The Offaly Rose who won the contest can help you, as she's a nurse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

branie2 wrote: »
    The Offaly Rose who won the contest can help you, as she's a nurse

Sorry, she's a junior doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The real laugh here is all the ones complaining about, but yet who seem to know a hell of a lot about it.

And it aint the history, but what seems to have gone on this year.

As some said it is not costing the license payers and nobody is forcing anyone to watch it.

I hate this sanctimonious shyte where some, usually those who also consider themselves so modern, hip and cosmopolitan, look down their noses at the activities, pastimes and viewing of others.
    I just bet there will be a thread poking fun at the Ploughing Championship in a few weeks.

I don't watch it, haven't watched for decades.
    The only winners I know are the two from Mayo, the first of which ended up shagging that overpaid gobshyte in RTE and the other is a lesbian.

Point is I couldn't care less if it runs for ever or was on every night in August.
    If it costs me nothing and some people get enjoyment out of it then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's great fun and so many people love it. It's also great that all of the ladies seem very genuine and decent people. You won't see any of them wash up on Love Island or something of that ilk. All well rounded ladies celebrating an Irish tradition.

Advertisement