Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

ACASlayer wrote: »
    Congrats. 14.2 myself

Nice one! Wonder what I missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

shanmo wrote: »
    You might be an 'ACASlayer' but for some it's more difficult for numerous reasons. I'm sure you don't mean to offend though. Even the best student needs some luck on the day.

The most important question on any exam day is: "Do you feel lucky?"

Congrats. 14.2 myself

Username checks out.

Congrats everyone, some seriously good results here :O

I got a more modest 9.10. Motivation was seriously lacking to study last year so was not expecting much more, but not too disheartened just yet.

Hope everyone else is happy this morning.

You beat 7.5 and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

got 7.5 myself. This is the kick up the backside I needed as im not happy with 7.5. It probably didnt help that I didnt start studying until after the Cap2 repeat results in November due to assuming I had failed SFMA.

Has everyone been doing to every lecture or how has your general week to week study been doing? is everyone doing something each night?

• Advertisement

ACAguy wrote: »
    got 7.5 myself. This is the kick up the backside I needed as im not happy with 7.5. It probably didnt help that I didnt start studying until after the Cap2 repeat results in November due to assuming I had failed SFMA.

Has everyone been doing to every lecture or how has your general week to week study been doing? is everyone doing something each night?

I didn't go to lectures much before Christmas so I could focus on the SAFE but I've been going to lectures since. So few lectures compared to last year so not too much of a hassle to just go.

Wouldn't be studying every day though! It's busy season. I'm lucky if I've time to study at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shanmo

I didn't go to lectures much before Christmas so I could focus on the SAFE but I've been going to lectures since. So few lectures compared to last year so not too much of a hassle to just go.

Wouldn't be studying every day though! It's busy season. I'm lucky if I've time to study at the weekends

Tbh, after working all day the idea of study is too much! Hence, no I haven't been studying.
    I might be nieve but I'm relying on study leave to be enough!
    I'm not a robot, none of us are!

shanmo wrote: »
    Tbh, after working all day the idea of study is too much! Hence, no I haven't been studying.
    I might be nieve but I'm relying on study leave to be enough!
    I'm not a robot, none of us are!

The only people I know who did study regularly during cap 2 were the same people who burned out and failed. Everyone else waited til study leave and passed...

The only people I know who did study regularly during cap 2 were the same people who burned out and failed. Everyone else waited til study leave and passed...

Funny you mention burnout as last year that happened to me with cap 2. 4 weeks study leave doing 12 hours a day taking concentration medication and doing nothing else but study and ended up failing both. Day leave for each of the repeats no medication and passed.

Just feel this year that I need to keep tapping away especially with audit and tax as I didn’t do them last year.

Funny you mention burnout as last year that happened to me with cap 2. 4 weeks study leave doing 12 hours a day taking concentration medication and doing nothing else but study and ended up failing both. Day leave for each of the repeats no medication and passed.

Just feel this year that I need to keep tapping away especially with audit and tax as I didn’t do them last year.

Ah I know what you mean about staying with it, but tbh I've bigger fish to fry at the moment with the elective interim coming up. Need to find the time to study for that properly

• Advertisement

Ah I know what you mean about staying with it, but tbh I've bigger fish to fry at the moment with the elective interim coming up. Need to find the time to study for that properly[/quotep

Ye I know what you mean. what one are you doing? I picked tax so I’ve just been catching up on the various tax heads

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

Ah I know what you mean about staying with it, but tbh I've bigger fish to fry at the moment with the elective interim coming up. Need to find the time to study for that properly
    I take it from this and your “wonder what I missed” in the previous conversation that you’re trying to place at FAE?

Ah I know what you mean about staying with it, but tbh I've bigger fish to fry at the moment with the elective interim coming up. Need to find the time to study for that properly[/quotep

Ye I know what you mean. what one are you doing? I picked tax so I’ve just been catching up on the various tax heads

Till after the interim is out of the way I don't really see myself focusing on the finals. One thing at a time imo.

I'm doing tax also.

Do you work in Tax? Some  people have told me im at a disadvantage doing tax and not working in it. Also did you go to the lecture yesterday I was sick so couldn't attend and was hoping to watch it online but it doesn't seem to be up.

Do you work in Tax? Some  people have told me im at a disadvantage doing tax and not working in it. Also did you go to the lecture yesterday I was sick so couldn't attend and was hoping to watch it online but it doesn't seem to be up.

No I don't work in Tax but I don't let that bother me. What is done in practice and what is required in an exam tends to be different. With study hopefully we will be fine. I wasn't in the class either.

What approach are you going to take to studying tax elective over the coming weeks?

What approach are you going to take to studying tax elective over the coming weeks?
    Do you get comfort from hearing what other people are doing? I don't mean that in a rude way, just trying to understand how other people work.

I take it from this and your “wonder what I missed” in the previous conversation that you’re trying to place at FAE?

Not a chance! No interest in that, just trying to make an easy summer for myself by front loading on the marks and avoiding the regret of wishing I had studied lol

Just watched the online video there about the change in the marking scheme and I get confused even more every time. How hugely different is it from last year? Everyone’s thoughts would be great

• Advertisement

Just watched the online video there about the change in the marking scheme and I get confused even more every time. How hugely different is it from last year? Everyone’s thoughts would be great

Same marking scheme as CAP2. Average 50% overall to pass.

Never mind what happened in previous years; it's irrelevant. Just focus on getting to 50%

Do you get comfort from hearing what other people are doing? I don't mean that in a rude way, just trying to understand how other people work.
    Hello?

Tbh, I haven't started studying yet. I will probably work my way through the applicable standards. I never really have a plan in place, I just start and go with it. I'd be happy to link in with you via message if there is anything you want to talk through.

I would definitely like to keep this thread active anyway as I am in industry nobody here is doing FAEs so I feel very isolated compared to people in other firms.

I would definitely like to keep this thread active anyway as I am in industry nobody here is doing FAEs so I feel very isolated compared to people in other firms.

Agreed. I find this forum great. Even for peace of mind at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Monet321

Some really good results in the AAFRP above, well done. Got a respectable 11.30 myself. I did a solid 5 weeks study for it. TBH I thought I was going to get higher (around 12.50) mark but I'll take what I get.
    Doing APM for the elective and going to start studying this weekend for the interim. Going to watch the online lectures (I find them much better than going to them in person) and create my folder from there using the notes provided on the CAI website. Will only have time for study on the weekends really considering it's busy season but I'll get whatever hours I can in. Anyone else doing APM? What's your approach going to be like for the elective? Any advice is appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pixie11123

Monet321 wrote: »
    Some really good results in the AAFRP above, well done. Got a respectable 11.30 myself. I did a solid 5 weeks study for it. TBH I thought I was going to get higher (around 12.50) mark but I'll take what I get.
    Doing APM for the elective and going to start studying this weekend for the interim. Going to watch the online lectures (I find them much better than going to them in person) and create my folder from there using the notes provided on the CAI website. Will only have time for study on the weekends really considering it's busy season but I'll get whatever hours I can in. Anyone else doing APM? What's your approach going to be like for the elective? Any advice is appreciate.
    Probably just do a lot of past papers with a file of notes beside me until I feel comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

pixie11123 wrote: »
    Probably just do a lot of past papers with a file of notes beside me until I feel comfortable!

Are there past papers for the elective available or do you mean the August exams?

It's so difficult doing anything in the evening by the time you get home eat and empty your head after a days work.
    Elective in the thing that should probably be focused on most over the next few weeks but also don't want to fall behind on the core. 
    Has anyone had cross marking lectures yet as i'm meant to have one this sunday and want to know if it's worth attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 pixie11123

OttoPilot wrote: »
    pixie11123 wrote: »

Are there past papers for the elective available or do you mean the August exams?
    There are elective past papers available at https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Current-Student/Student-Centre/fae-201718-essential-documents/fae-past-papers

Advertisement