Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you urinate in public?

Options
  • 19-08-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Public urination seems to be quite a common sight especially on weekends when people are out having a few drinks and in between pubs/clubs etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Only when no one is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You first.

Not your ornery onager

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Public urination seems to be quite a common sight especially on weekends when people are out having a few drinks and in between pubs/clubs etc.

Not since I was about three, no.
    if you cant hold your piss, should you be out on the streets?? Wear a nappy ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

You're really taking the p**s with a thread like this.

Yes, and most guys I know (plus a lot of women) have done it at some stage.

One of the lads from down home was arrested and prosecuted over it about 10 years back. Seems slightly OTT in my view (and no, it wasn't me). The guy was an engineering student at the time and has never been in trouble, before or after that event.

Urinating down a side street or some alleyway at 2am doesn't strike me as a significantly serious to justify wasting police or judicial resources, let alone resulting in a *potential* criminal record, and the consequences of that.

Yes it's 'crass', yes it's an annoyance, but in the scheme of things, I think people should maintain (and most do maintain) a bit of perspective.

Urine is sterile after all. Unless you have some kind of toxic, radioactive, Ebola wee, I'm not sure how much of an issue this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Only when startled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The Jap and Korean salarymen are big into taking a piss down a side street. Some of them end up falling asleep afterwards they are so drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Of course, any excuse to whip it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Saw a lad take a dump near Eddie rockets off Dame Street. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 private89

Think most lads have and I have done but try not to anymore unless it's a real emergency. Been caught doing it twice.

First time in England on a stag weekend in Bristol and went before going into a club. Heard a voice behind and saw 2 police. Was a bit drunk and probably a bit smart and ended up getting cuffed, put in back of a police van with another guy and brought back to spend the night in the cells. It was a cold night and I think they probably wanted to get in from the cold for a while. Ended up getting my fingerprints done, pictures and a caution for drunk and disorderly.

Got caught in Dublin as well after getting out of a taxi near Harcourt Street as the ques were massive, Guards in a car saw us and my mate and myself ended up going to court for that. Tutned out an expensive night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Yes, but there are standards.
    My preference is to personally prohibit public pissing to partially populated places.

Low density areas only.

In-car pissing is not uncommon, if you find a bottle under a mans car seat don't touch it.

I've also squeezed one out in suburban wooded areas on more than one occasion. There's a delightful sense of having gotten away with a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With the Drinking culture we have public urination is part of the deal.

Not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I ONLY urinate in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No but I would if I owned a she pee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Yep if out and stuck but i'll make every effort not to be seen.

I remember years ago, I was about 15. My town had a festival every Summer, was great, got to stay out late etc.
    One evening myself and a few friends went down an alley to sneak the back way into a pub, was just coming to the back door, there was a woman in her 60's there squatting with her skirt around her waist, she said "what the fuk ye looking at".
    I still see the disgusting oul cnut around.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I think we've all been caught short and had to nip down a lane or an ally. There's a total lack of public toilets around Dublin so it's a fairly common sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Was walking home one night on my own when I was a late teenager and had to pass through a laneway. Saw a man going to the toilet against the wall. I didn't want to pass him so I walked back a bit but then he saw me.

I think he panicked so he went through the lane but i think he was meant to go in the direction towards me to get wherever he was going. I waited for a few minutes and then went through the lane only to see that he was hiding behind a van! Never ran so fast in my life!

I know he was probably embarrassed but ffs did he have to make it worse and hide behind the van!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've done it plenty bit generally out of absolute necessity.

If you have to go, and there is no other place available then what are you to do? Piss your pants?

If they don't want people doing it then you need to install public toilets in social areas where there are lots of pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Saw a lad take a dump near Eddie rockets off Dame Street. Disgusting.

AFAIK there is some ancient law which stated that you can be prosecuted for urinating in a public place but taking a dump is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My job involves me travelling all over the country visiting clients on site, most of which are more than a little bit rurally based, and I drink a lot of water during work days, so it would be fair to say I've shook the dew from my tulip in the open air a fair few times at this stage.

Hard to beat the fresh air whistling across your flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

AFAIK there is some ancient law which stated that you can be prosecuted for urinating in a public place but taking a dump is ok.

That's got as much weight as the "A Garda HAS to give his hat to a pregnant woman to piss in."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Oh for goodness' sake. People have to pee every few hours and often there is no toilet accessible. If you can find a corner behind a bush (ladies) or discreet bit of wall or tree (gents) then why on earth get all coy about it? Everybody understands this simple urge.
    Just look the other way tactfully for a minute, that's all it takes.

Of course I have. In dark front gardens, back when I was a student and plastered.
    There's a row of trees beside a public street near here that I use all the time when I have to walk home from the bus stop (a ten-minute walk uphill...)

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    There's a total lack of public toilets around Dublin so it's a fairly common sight.
    What is with the near absence of public toilets in Dublin? The only one I know of is in sandymount.

Ive heard 'anti social behaviour' being cited, but I don't know how cities like Paris (and every other city in France) can manage so many public toilets with apparent ease, but not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

My mammy taught me how to use a toilet so I use them instead.

Every pub has at least one, there's no shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

No, i only urinate outdoors at night time, saves flushing...

Yes and often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No.

My mammy taught me how to use a toilet so I use them instead.

Every pub has at least one, there's no shortage.

Ah stop, plenty of occasions where there isn't a loo available. After closing for example.

It's not something I'd make a habit of doing but I'm sure on a couple of occasions when I had no choice I found a discreet suitable place to use. Wouldn't be proud of it but needs must.

I'm not talking about the middle of Grafton St, but some back alley I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

In public? Yes if I'm desperate, down a side street or wherever, you can't hold it in forever.

We live in a very rural area in the woods so I piss outdoors more often than not, it's just a matter of choosing a tree. I tell myself that I'm saving wear and tear on the septic tank too!

Number twos though are strictly an indoor, erm, "job". The only exception I can think of was about 20 years ago at the Glastonbury festival. The queue for the bogs was a mile long and I was touching cloth, so walked to the car, squatted behind the driver's door and pooed into a plastic bag. A more pleasant experience than using the Glasto bogs, to be honest.

Advertisement