Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Irish perspectives of Race.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do you ever notice a lot of Irish tend to refer to any none pasty white northern European as 'black.' They've no understanding of the Races.

I've heard Jason Sherlock being referred to as black. The O'hAilpin brothers also.

A college friend of mine told of how big ignorant cnuts in his locale of Dingle Co. Kerry would to refer to Spanish and Italian tourists as N1ggers. I mean wtf?

Both disgustingly racist and factually wrong.

So who's this Patsy White fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Do you ever notice a lot of Irish tend to refer to any none pasty white northern European as 'black.' They've no understanding of the Races.

That sentence could more accurately read:

Have you noticed that a lot of under educated people with limited life prospects tend to vent their sense of self oppression on anyone different from themselves.

My limited experience has thought me that no one race has the monopoly on bullying / ignorance / race-phobia and education can be the answer to most questions,

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I'm black and I'm proud :cool:

Racist b@stards those commitments, worse than the black and white minstrels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This Caucasoid/mongoloid/negroid nonsense belongs in the 19th century.
    The attitudes that surrounded the definitions certainly P, but as a general description of the basic groups of world populations of modern humans it's pretty accurate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I heard people call a goalie on the Irish team Paki before and he wasn't even dark. Such racism. Appalling.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He looks more like a chink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Does it? I think most people call tell the differences between a person of Asian, Caucasoid or Negroid apart.

Caucasoid very diverse of course. An Indian and a Swede for instance are both technically Caucasian.

Most people in Ireland can too. The few people you're talking about aren't representative of the rest of the country.
    For some people in Dublin anyone from Eastern Europe is Polish, completely racist and ignorant...

How in the name of all that's good and holy is mistaking one accent for another 'racist'? I can guarantee you if you went to a non English speaking country the majority of people would have no clue whether you were Irish or English.

I was with my sister and mother in a restaurant in Cyprus years ago. It was quiet and the waitress, a Polish woman, started a conversation with my sister. She asked my sister if she could guess where she was from. My sister thought about it for a minute and said "Poland". The waitress then asked my sister where she was from. She was surprised she was Irish because she thought "all Irish people had red hair and freckles".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We've already had that earlier in the thread. We're not universally liked as we sometimes wish to think.
    This fable that everyone loves the Irish should be debunked in a lot of people heads .

Who is going to tell people that are known for fighting and drunkeness that they don't like them.......what could possibly go wrong .

Not to mention that to many cultures getting blotto-ed drunk is blooming crazy.....

You would be surprised how much of the British population think all Irish People are Irish Travellers.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

not universally liked as we sometimes wish to think.
    By "we", I presume you mean those Irish who think that. I think this gets overstated - and on the flipside there is enough self loathing here to compensate. On social media I see far more of that than of hostility from other nationalities, to be fair.

Most people don't think too much about what other nationalities think of us, whether positive or negative.

Although the constantly drunken, loud, messy eejits abroad - in Australia especially - do let us down. It would be extremely simplistic of anyone to decide we are all like that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I've heard Jason Sherlock being referred to as black. The O'hAilpin brothers also.

A college friend of mine told of how big ignorant cnuts in his locale of Dingle Co. Kerry would to refer to Spanish and Italian tourists as N1ggers. I mean wtf?

Both disgustingly racist and factually wrong.

Never heard that before. Do you not see the irony in painting every Irish person in the same light?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Never heard that before. Do you not see the irony in painting every Irish person in the same light?

I'm not painting every Irish person in the same light. I'm stating that it is common not universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He looks more like a chink.

I think this poster is one of the kind the OP was talking about :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not painting every Irish person in the same light. I'm stating that it is common not universal.

But it's not common at all. You need to get out more and see more of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

archer22 wrote: »
    I think this poster is one of the kind the OP was talking about :rolleyes:

Give Sam a bit of credit, The noise from your moral outrage motor is drowning out your sarcasm alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Give Sam a bit of credit, The noise from your moral outrage motor is drowning out your sarcasm alarm.

Ok that's 2....seems to be quite a few around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No I've never noticed any of the things you describe.

Me neither.
    Must be the company you keep OP.

Advertisement