Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Irish perspectives of Race.

Options
  • 19-08-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Do you ever notice a lot of Irish tend to refer to any none pasty white northern European as 'black.' They've no understanding of the Races.

I've heard Jason Sherlock being referred to as black. The O'hAilpin brothers also.

A college friend of mine told of how big ignorant cnuts in his locale of Dingle Co. Kerry would to refer to Spanish and Italian tourists as N1ggers. I mean wtf?

Both disgustingly racist and factually wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Do you ever notice a lot of Irish tend to refer to any none pasty white northern European as 'black.' They've no understanding of the Races.

I've heard Jason Sherlock being referred to as black. The O'hAilpin brothers also.

A college friend of mine told of how big ignorant cnuts in his locale of Dingle Co. Kerry would to refer to Spanish and Italian tourists as N1ggers. I mean wtf?

No I've never noticed any of the things you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

sugarman wrote: »
    Another "Only in Ireland", that is in fact not only in Ireland:rolleyes:

Seriously, this happens everywhere.

Does it? I think most people call tell the differences between a person of Asian, Caucasoid or Negroid apart.

Caucasoid very diverse of course. An Indian and a Swede for instance are both technically Caucasian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Does it? I think most people call tell the differences between a person of Asian, Caucasoid or Negroid apart.

Caucasoid very diverse of course. An Indian and a Swede for instance are both technically Caucasian.

It sure as hell doesn't "happen everywhere" but I have seen it in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Is that a black robot?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Sounds like you and your mates are hanging around a bunch of aggro-seeking cantankerous $hitheads.

I fail to see how this is Ireland's fault

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Poor effort.

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Poor effort.

These are legitimate observations of mine. This casual ignorance of race.

I'm not attempting to troll if that's what you're trying to imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

For some people in Dublin anyone from Eastern Europe is Polish, completely racist and ignorant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

On Alt-Right forums the Irish are sometimes referred to as 'potatoniggers'.

"Say it once and say it loud"

• Advertisement

On Alt-Right forums the Irish are sometimes referred to as 'potatoniggers'.

We used to be/still are called 'White n1ggers' in the the NY/NJ area. Largely used in the Italian communities.

They're a nasty bunch that alt right. As a conservative I denounce them. I despise all extremists.

Just as a classical liberal would denounce a regressive leftist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Being black isn't reserved for sub Saharan Africans. Many Indians are black, Australian Aboriginals are black and NZ Maori's describe themselves as "blick as"

Anyway, the current non-offensive agreed on American term that refers to all non whites is "people of colour" if you say coloured people you'll be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fatknacker wrote: »
    Being black isn't reserved for sub Saharan Africans. ...
    NZ Maori's describe themselves as "blick as"

Dont think so.

The rugby team may be All Blacks, but the indigenous people are brown.

fatknacker wrote: »
    Being black isn't reserved for sub Saharan Africans. Many Indians are black, Australian Aboriginals are black and NZ Maori's describe themselves as "blick as"

Anyway, the current non-offensive agreed on American term that refers to all non whites is "people of colour" if you say coloured people you'll be lynched.

Caucasoid is scientifically not defined by skin pigmentation. It's bone structure, skull structure, facial features, hair growth pattern. The pencil test for instance in SA during the Apartheid regime.

Maoris and Aboriginals are referred to as Australoid or Melanasian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

How about funny worldwide perceptions of the Irish?

For de craic like.

Your Face wrote: »
    How about funny worldwide perceptions of the Irish?

For de craic like.

We've already had that earlier in the thread. We're not universally liked as we sometimes wish to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

For some people in Dublin anyone from Eastern Europe is Polish, completely racist and ignorant...
    Ignorant (not necessarily malicious though) but hardly racist in my opinion. Racism means hatred of/discrimination towards/distrust of a person or people purely based on their race. I don't see how getting nationalities mixed up would always mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ive never heard even one person call somebody who looked of non-african origin black

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Caucasoid is scientifically not defined by skin pigmentation. It's bone structure, skull structure, facial features, hair growth pattern. The pencil test for instance in SA during the Apartheid regime.

Maoris and Aboriginals are referred to as Australoid or Melanasian.

That is incorrect. Maoris are of Polynesian descent - who have ethnic links with East Asians and Aboriginals are thought to have originated from one of the first human migrations out of Africa. Melanesians are used to group Papua New Guineans, the Samang people of the Malay peninsula and Andaman Islanders together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Jayop wrote: »
    "Say it once and say it loud"

I'm black and I'm proud :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I long for a return to the carefree days when boards wasn't bogged down with sh1t threads like this

I long for a return to the carefree days when boards wasn't bogged down with sh1t threads like this

What's your problem with the thread Arse'..? Why is it sh1t?

I was trying to stir some debate on here (the place is dead recently), with a legitimate observation of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

What's your problem with the thread Arse'..? Why is it sh1t?

I was trying to stir some debate on here (the place is dead recently), with a legitimate observation of mine.

It is yet another thread about racism mixed in with a good helping of 'aren't us Irish a bunch of uniquely ignorant muck-savages'

Little wonder after hours is dying a slow death

It is yet another thread about racism mixed in with a good helping of 'aren't us Irish a bunch of uniquely ignorant muck-savages'

Little wonder after hours is dying a slow death

That wasn't my intention in starting it.

I was merely trying to begin a discussion on the races and the ignorance which exists around them.

Maybe a bit too much for a weekend. Just trying to do my bit to keep the place going. It's dying and like yourself Arse'.. I'm worried about it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This Caucasoid/mongoloid/negroid nonsense belongs in the 19th century.

This Caucasoid/mongoloid/negroid nonsense belongs in the 19th century.

Biological Science belongs in the 19th century?

There are differences between the races, if you're offended by that then there's nothing we can really do about it. Personally I think it's beautiful. We're different, So What?

Science and nature are based on fact not emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

It's not unique to Ireland. I grew up in England and a swarthy mate of mine (who had Greek origins, but was English) was often referred to as a "fookin' paki" during drunken altercations

Basically, there are ignorant fools everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Is that a black robot?

westworld-image-thandie-newton.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

EDit wrote: »
    It's not unique to Ireland. I grew up in England and a swarthy mate of mine (who had Greek origins, but was English) was often referred to as a "fookin' paki" during drunken altercations

Basically, there are ignorant fools everywhere

I get offended if I hear the term 'Paddy' depending on the circumstances. Even the tone of how it's spoken can be the difference between offence and endearment as being accepted in a group.

It's the later part that makes people think PC goes too far, no offence is given or taken, but it's ignorance of the first bit that compounds the problem.

Advertisement