Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MI6 (allegedly) Watching Potential Terrorists in Ireland

Options
  • 19-08-2017 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/mi6-spies-ireland-3552898-Aug2017/
    BRITISH SPIES ARE keeping tabs on a number of persons of interest within Ireland.

The Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) agents have been operating around the country since shortly after the London Bridge attack in June, sources have confirmed to TheJournal.ie.

It is understood that they are operating in at least two cities. Most of them are in Dublin and are working out of a number of offices in the city centre.

Sources say they are “keeping an eye” on a handful of potential extremists. They say that Ireland’s position geographically makes it an area that needs to be monitored by foreign intelligence.

Personally I feel more safer they are. Don't have much confidence in our lot however that could be partly down to the fact nothing has happened yet and we don't know a lot about them....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We have our own security services and they should not be here, let alone going public with it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yeah the Gardai have no experience dealing with a terrorist threat.

Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why would anyone be surprised if this were true.
    They shouldn't be operating here but if they are and are passing the intel to AGS then grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why would anyone be surprised if this were true.
    They shouldn't be operating here but if they are and are passing the intel to AGS then grand.
    We have our own security services and they should not be here, let alone going public with it like that.

Genuine view or just because it's the bad British
    Yeah the Gardai have no experience dealing with a terrorist threat.

Fail.

Things have moved on a lot and very different today. Personally I wouldn't have confidence they could foil an attack in Dublin. They let the London lad slip through the net.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Genuine view or just because it's the bad British

Things have moved on a lot and very different today. Personally I wouldn't have confidence they could foil an attack in Dublin. They let the London lad slip through the net.

Its not just our lads missing threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When it comes to terrorism prevention would you prefer more people were keeping tabs on potential suspects or less.

Is this legal?

I thought there was legislation prohibiting foreign security personnel operating here without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Your Face wrote: »
    Its not just our lads missing threats.

Indeed I totally accept that however they are dealing with a far higher number.

Look I am not dissing our lads but think an European approach is important to mitigate risks even more.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Indeed I totally accept that however they are dealing with a far higher number.

Look I am not dissing our lads but think an European approach is important to mitigate risks even more.

I'll be honest, its too easy for an individual to be online, get radicalised over a period and then go out and commit a horrible crime.
    I think its very hard to police that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Is this legal?

I thought there was legislation prohibiting foreign security personnel operating here without permission.

Well, as I understand it we don't know if they have permission or not. The fact that the government is neither confirming nor denying suggests that they might have permission but the government doesn't want to say that because it's such a politically sensitive matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When it comes to terrorism prevention would you prefer more people were keeping tabs on potential suspects or less.

We should be up to scratch on our own security services. If we are not that is our fault. An independent state carries with it responsibilities - not the outsourcing of responsibilities to others.

The MI6 agents should be in London taking intel from Gardai that way - not on our own soil.

(if they are here btw, could be bs, I never figured "The Journal" as proper journalism)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We should take all the help were offered, prides no good when it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

We are probably the most terrorised country in the world if you include the north, we have nothing to worry about

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I don’t know if it’s accurate, but Wikipedia claims that MI6’s annual budget is £2.6 billion.

Anyone know what the annual budget would be of the equivalent agency in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

of course they should be operating here if it's in their national interest , that's why countries have intelligence agencies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Academic wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s accurate, but Wikipedia claims that MI6’s annual budget is £2.6 billion.

Anyone know what the annual budget would be of the equivalent agency in the Republic?

€2.60 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

How in good holy f**k is this even news. Foreign Intelligence agencies have always had the capability to try to monitor whoever they want anywhere throughout the planet since there was a Royal family in Russia. Nowadays with the internet they don't even have to leave the jacks to do it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

HOLY FUKKIN JESUS LADS,

HOW WOULD A PERSON REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO THE RELEVANT AUTHORITIES (ANONOMOUSLY)

SERIOUS QUESTION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

mezzz wrote: »
    HOLY FUKKIN JESUS LADS,

HOW WOULD A PERSON REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO THE RELEVANT AUTHORITIES (ANONOMOUSLY)

SERIOUS QUESTION

Call 999?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Two ham sandwiches and a pack of tayto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well considering our military budget is about €800 million which is believed half that goes on wages and pensions .

Expect a pretty paltry sum for intelligence gathering on potential terror suspects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Note to all spies:

Stop telling people you're a spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Note to all spies:

Stop telling people you're a spy.
    Shtop telling people you shay. Intereshting idea.

350?cb=20121012202812

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mezzz wrote: »
    HOLY FUKKIN JESUS LADS,

SERIOUS QUESTION

Post on Boards in ALL CAPS. Expect a black van shortly. Be grand...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

MI6 have always been in Ireland spying. How is this news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Kinda wondering what the UVF or IRA response to an attack in Belfast would be? Probably a stupid question.

MI6 is responsible for external security of Britain. It would be naive to think they wouldn't have a presence and they would be in dereliction of duty if they weren't.

As for going public with it, I have to laugh. Un-named sources at The Journal is not exactly the MI6 press office is it?

"It is understood" and "Sources say" are phrases journalists use to give them plenty of wiggle room when they are speculating or when their mammy has given them an idea for a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I certainly hope they are. Increases our chances of avoiding an Islamic attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd be more worried about the 70 that are supposedly on a watch list, than m16,
    considering the events of the past week.

Advertisement