Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Christmas plans/preparation 2017

  • 18-08-2017 4:22pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 26,235 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn


    I plan on going to Brown Thomas this weekend.
    In September when the stuff is coming into the supermarkets we plan to start picking up things when they go on offer.
    I tidy up from the Summer plants outside.
    October generally getting more bits and pieces and looking at the decorations/gifts etc when they come in. Then deciding should things be bought right away (If they sell out fast)or waiting for them to go on sale.
    We generally do a bit of baking in October/November.
    In the last week of October I do a big tidy up just to have things slightly organised and carve a few pumpkins for Halloween.
    My Birthday is in November and I generally go somewhere for the day to view all the Christmas stock and make a few purchases.
    I generally get most of my presents in November and we have most of sweets/biscuits/gifts bought.
    I do another tidy up in Late November and we paint we're going to paint the Kitchen/living room/bathroom/hall.Wash cushion covers/curtains/etc.
    Tidy up outside and clean the gutters/etc. Put up the outside lights.
    Purchase our ham and other Christmas bits and pieces. Have a few shopping trips to different places.
    Send and receive Christmas presents.
    Order desserts/etc.
    Put up decorations.
    Ice the cakes.
    One thing we'll do this year is wrap presents earlier this year. I ended up wrapping loads of stuff by myself last year.(My mother said we do it together just before we give them out) she got the flu and I ended up nearly all night wrapping gifts on the 24th.
    A few shopping trips on around the 22nd/23rd(Turkey, Milk, Bread, veg etc)
    Christmas Eve, Collect Dessert and a drop off presents. Tidy up, go to mass, prepare food, put gifts under the tree.
    Enjoy Christmas Day 2017!


«1345

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Love this organisation threads hahaha. That's a great list freshpopcorn . I usually start my big seasonal clear out now and clean.
    Any big jobs like painting etc will be done now. Skirting board etc. Clear out toys and clothes ( swap winter for summer clothes ) de clutter toys. Freezer defrosted.
    Then I break out the family Christmas folder. I love my folder! It gives me the month and a break down of any jobs to be done that week , ie cleaning chimney , pets wormed and groomed, everything right up to Christmas eve ! It also reminds me when to book tickets to see santa.

    I have a section for a food check list ( I'll check that end of august and start picking up bits I need each week ) and I keep all vouchers for dunnes / supervalu in it for my christmas shop. I also keep a folder with christmas recipes and instructions to make our magical reindeer food. And a contact list for christmas cards which are posted out the last week of November to arrive the first week of December.
    Love my family Christmas folder :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    Maaaaan I'm so excited already. This will be only our second Christmas in our own house and last Christmas we were still fresh in the door (buying our first tree etc).

    We hope to floor the attic by Halloween (depending on funds)
    Then I'm going to sort out all the hodgepotch of decorations we put together in a hurry for last year
    Paint and do up the toddlers room ourselves
    If funds allow I'll get a painter in for the kitchen and stairs (its far too high to tackle it ourselves)
    I've already cleared out the toys but will probably need another bash at halloween due to very generous family
    I need to find a gingerbread house recipe as I promised my toddler that we would make one.
    I have a list for Santa and the Christmas eve box. I've already put in the first order from the presents list and will start watching the sales now. We are already saving for the Christmas expenses

    I've never done a food or drink list but thats not a bad idea and I may take it. I love the idea of a christmas folder. I love traditions, just might start that one. Oh and I need to get a smaller turkey than the one my mother in law brought (we hosted) because we spent half an hour on Christmas morning trying to cut the legs off the turkey when it wouldn't fit :eek::D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Hi mirror !

    I definitly couldn't recommend a christmas folder enough ! I looovveeee mine. So handy holds everything from card list and addresses to my food stock up list and recipes so I don't need to think about it as such just follow the folder and gives me more family time. Not as much stress :) plus I love the fun of tsking it out and having a look through and prepping myself for what jobs need to be done the coming week !


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Hi mirror !

    I definitly couldn't recommend a christmas folder enough ! I looovveeee mine. So handy holds everything from card list and addresses to my food stock up list and recipes so I don't need to think about it as such just follow the folder and gives me more family time. Not as much stress :) plus I love the fun of tsking it out and having a look through and prepping myself for what jobs need to be done the coming week !

    I'm shopping for one now :)


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    I totally want a Christmas folder now. :D


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    Posy wrote: »
    I totally want a Christmas folder now. :D

    I have just spent an hour browsing etsy and ebay looking for nice folders and when I decided on a normal folder, finding templates to print for it!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ bellz_x


    Glitzgirl wrote:
    Love my family Christmas folder

    I thought I was organised!! This is awesome. Did you make it all out yourself or did you buy one??


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    bellz_x wrote: »
    I thought I was organised!! This is awesome. Did you make it all out yourself or did you buy one??

    I made mine ! A large folder lots of scrap book arts and christmas themed crafts and a few hours typing and printing but I love it !


  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ bellz_x


    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I made mine ! A large folder lots of scrap book arts and christmas themed crafts and a few hours typing and printing but I love it !

    That's awesome - I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea!! :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    bellz_x wrote: »
    That's awesome - I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea!! :o

    Not at all ! It's great fun and you would be amazed how much time and mental stress it saves not trying ti remember all those addresses and little jobs to be done for christmas. Happy folder making :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ Colourspring


    I've seen the future..and it's Christmas Folder shaped!! (now my luchtime shopping goal!!)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 StripedBoxers


    I need (want) a Christmas folder now. I might pick one up. Would be very handy actually.

    This year I have no idea what the plan is at all. None whatsoever. I'm currently undergoing radiation therapy so haven't the headspace or energy to even think that far ahead. I've Galway in November so I need to get some kinda plan in place, even a rough one and just tweak it as I need to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl



    This year I have no idea what the plan is at all. None whatsoever. I'm currently undergoing radiation therapy so haven't the headspace or energy to even think that far ahead. I've Galway in November so I need to get some kinda plan in place, even a rough one and just tweak it as I need to.

    Good luck with the treatment stripped boxers! :)
    If u need any help with a break down let me know I'll post the sections I have the folder divided into it may help you get started and quiet a few ppl have mailed me asking for it :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 StripedBoxers


    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Good luck with the treatment stripped boxers! :)
    If u need any help with a break down let me know I'll post the sections I have the folder divided into it may help you get started and quiet a few ppl have mailed me asking for it :)
    Thank you so much <3

    I would really appreciate a breakdown actually, it would be a huge help in getting started. I would be so grateful for it. xx


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Thank you so much <3

    I would really appreciate a breakdown actually, it would be a huge help in getting started. I would be so grateful for it. xx

    No problem at all. I'll pop a post up tomorrow with all the heading I've used and a break down. It's quiet long of a post so be warned but it covers everything from when I give the dogs their winter worming tablets to when to wash the curtains and book the kids hair cuts hahah .. I think I have mild ocd .. :p you may not need all my ones but it will give u a good guideline as to what you would like on your own x


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ Rathael212


    Glitzgirl that's a fantastic idea! I need to go dealz today and get a few bits for my Christmas folder! Can t wait to read your post on the sections. I'm the queen of lists lol 😂


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Hi guys as promised here is my christmas folder. So I got a large binder some dividers and split mu folder up ino the following sections; index reads
    November prep
    December prep
    Christmas eve
    Food
    -shopping list
    -stock pile list
    - gifts / hampers / stockings checklist
    -recipes
    -baking
    -christmas meals
    Elf on the shelf ideas
    Gift list
    Household shopping list
    Christmas card list
    Christmas movie list
    Additional notes.

    Ok stay with me this is where it's broken down. Each month( ie November prep sections ) has its own breakdown. So when I open the tab for November prep I get an at a glance summary of what has to be done that month. ( ie Halloween decorations down and put away, stockpile sweets , book dog grooming app etc ). Then it's give a page for each week in the month with a break down of what needs to be done on a weekly basis. Each section is ended with a page for jotting down notes.

    Food sec is pretty much as described and great for keep track of what sweets to buy a shopping list for specific ingredients for meals plus I also keep a general stock pile so that let's me know if I'm running low.
    Christmas eve section keeps a list of our plans food options ie our christmas themed breakfast our plans, traditions, ideas for christmas eve box.
    I also have a little section with an envelope for saving vouchers from supervalu tesco etc and one with our personalised return label christmas stickers for posting cards.

    I hope this helps get you started !
    The trick is to put every thing from when the kids are due a hair cut to when u should order the turkey and book santa visits. :)

    If anyone has any questions let me know :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭ baby and crumble


    ^^ I feel like I've just read porn.

    In a really, really great way.

    :pac::pac::pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    ^^ I feel like I've just read porn.

    In a really, really great way.

    :pac::pac::pac:

    Hahahhahaha :) still laughing when I read this comment haha


  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ sasco


    I bought this Christmas organiser a few years ago and I'm so glad I did.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cath-Kidston-Christmas-Organiser/dp/1849492077
    It is so handy. I keep my recipes/card lists/addresses/shopping list and load more in it.
    I'd usually have a few presents bought by now as I like to spread the cost but haven't so far this year. Might take a trip up across the border in November if sterling stays as is. I haven't done that in years, but I think it might be worth it this year - even just for the wine and spirits.

    At the moment I am looking at santa visits and trying to decide which one to book. We have gone to a different one each year and have done the full on santa experience for the last couple years and will probably do so again this year. Might do Westport House. Has anyone here gone and would you recommend it?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ Colourspring


    GlitzGirl = Christmas Oracle.

    Thanks soo much!!! I have considerably less time this year for preparation than I did last year - so this is fab!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    GlitzGirl = Christmas Oracle.

    Thanks soo much!!! I have considerably less time this year for preparation than I did last year - so this is fab!!

    I see... I see. ... lots of christmas folder prep happening over the next few days hahah :)
    Not at all glad it helped. :)


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    sasco wrote: »
    I bought this Christmas organiser a few years ago and I'm so glad I did.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cath-Kidston-Christmas-Organiser/dp/1849492077
    It is so handy. I keep my recipes/card lists/addresses/shopping list and load more in it.
    I love that!! I'm very tempted to buy that. :D

    I think this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-organiser-christmas-organizer-Standard/dp/B01M1S5S5P/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4847T1QWDNDF93JFS8DG looks great too, but the fact that it calls itself a 'Crimbo Planner' makes me wince.


    (I know I can just buy a red folder, but still...)


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle


    That list is incredible, Glitzgirl. We don't have that much to do for Christmas (no kids and we don't cook Christmas dinner at home) but I'm definitely going to give it a go. Thanks for posting it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 StripedBoxers


    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Hi guys as promised here is my christmas folder. So I got a large binder some dividers and split mu folder up ino the following sections; index reads
    November prep
    December prep
    Christmas eve
    Food
    -shopping list
    -stock pile list
    - gifts / hampers / stockings checklist
    -recipes
    -baking
    -christmas meals
    Elf on the shelf ideas
    Gift list
    Household shopping list
    Christmas card list
    Christmas movie list
    Additional notes.

    Ok stay with me this is where it's broken down. Each month( ie November prep sections ) has its own breakdown. So when I open the tab for November prep I get an at a glance summary of what has to be done that month. ( ie Halloween decorations down and put away, stockpile sweets , book dog grooming app etc ). Then it's give a page for each week in the month with a break down of what needs to be done on a weekly basis. Each section is ended with a page for jotting down notes.

    Food sec is pretty much as described and great for keep track of what sweets to buy a shopping list for specific ingredients for meals plus I also keep a general stock pile so that let's me know if I'm running low.
    Christmas eve section keeps a list of our plans food options ie our christmas themed breakfast our plans, traditions, ideas for christmas eve box.
    I also have a little section with an envelope for saving vouchers from supervalu tesco etc and one with our personalised return label christmas stickers for posting cards.

    I hope this helps get you started !
    The trick is to put every thing from when the kids are due a hair cut to when u should order the turkey and book santa visits. :)

    If anyone has any questions let me know :)
    This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing.

    I don't have near as much to do as you, but it will be so handy to have this to help with what I do have to do :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Sorry just checking back in guys ! Thanks for all the posts and messages about the list :) your all such a nice bunch ; )

    My biggest christmas prep / stumbling block this year is actually tableware. Mainly table settings.

    Last year I purchased a gorgeous white with gold leaf trimmed serving set ( gravy boat and serving dishes ) and the dinner set was sold out. Been trying to get it all year and it's been out of stock. Just check again a few days ago and it's discontinued :(

    I usually use white square plates for everyday use so had to use them again last christmas and I bought fabulous gold rimmed wine and champagne glasses. But just discovered Mr glitz broke 3 of the square charger plates too and hid them in the press :p yes he is that childish hahaha

    So I had no idea what to do now for christmas. I'd very much like to have good silverware and dinner sets to take out every year but not all a mismatch of items !!

    What does everyone else use / have if you don't mind me asking ? A seperate set ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ bellz_x


    I'd love a new set for Christmas this year aswell, I prefer plain white but I'm not opposed to a little bit of colour. Going to have to go look around!
    Will definitely be buying new wine glasses as my drunk ass broke a few of them during the year. Need a good set now.

    You've completely gotten me into Christmas mode now! I'm so excited!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Good Luck with the wine glass shopping think we have all had those tippsy accidents ;)

    I'm thinking of doing a total revamp maybe getting some of those kilarney crystal glasses for christmas. But one side of me thinks they look old fashioned. But when I picture a christmas table setting it's always with good crystal and sliver. Even my gran had some in a cabinet that were cleaned for christmas :)

    Think some online shopping / lurking is needed to help me decide.

    Glad your feeling in a christmas mood bellz!


  • Registered Users Posts: 545 xDisneyDivax


    GlitzGirl, omg your post with your folder contents got me sooo excited!!!! 😠must try to make something similiar as we don't have kids and we go to our homes for Christmas lunch AND dinner lol! But I do a lot of baking! ;)

    At his house, they just use what they use every day but at mine we have plates and cutlery we only bring out for Christmas and whatever special.occasions we may have. And I love it!! I had to text mum and ask what the brand it is- Royal Albert bone china- it is quite old fashioned I'd say but I love it and using one set every Christmas is definitely the way to go I reckon ;) can't seem to attach a photo but if you Google it it is the roses one with gold edges. I would love to get Disney themed one for when we have our own Christmas dinner ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 Glitzgirl


    Omg disney all the way ! I'm lit going to Google the set you mentioned and the disney ones just to see what comes up !!!

    My square dishes are nice but when u use them all the time it's a bit non special esp at christmas. Def think I'll treat myself this year !

    Awh thanks disney xx I do love my folder it keeps me sane haha


Advertisement