Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas plans/preparation 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I love all the posts about the deep clean for Christmas it's so exciting all the preparation everyone goes to
    I agree with Cheerlouth I got oven done two weeks ago it's like it's brand new I can't do them myself as the chemicals in the cleaners effect my asthma but it was money well spent I was sick of asking my OH to do it so o just booked a guy online he was on time and very professional getting him to do my mothers in a week or so

I want to tackle clearing my utility room there is loads of space in there for hiding things in the coming weeks, I want to get cracking on stocking up on non perishable stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Christmas cake in oven here..
    I'm drunk on the fumes!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

CheerLouth wrote: »
    DO IT!!!!! I got mine done last year, it was actually amazing! And it's meant that for the whole year, I've literally just had to wipe down the glass and shelves - no deep clean needed. I'm defo getting him again! Best 60quid I spent! Also got him to do the extractor fan because I hate doing that too!

Oh I never thought of getting them to do the extractor fan too! That settles it so :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Please help..
    I'm doing a second batch of Xmas fruit cakes here for the relations.
    Just realized the cherries I picked up aren't glace..they're Shamrock ones but not glace.
    Thoughts?

To thine own self be true

Utility room clear out complete I've some goodies in hiding places in there from my OH, I should have put the tempting stuff in my mothers house my OH out tonight and I've polished off a bag of Rowantrees pick and mix :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Been informed by e-mail, I'll be working offshore this year for Christmas and new year, start 21st Dec finish 4th Jan, happens every third year but always live in hope that it may change, so Christmas dinner will be eaten on 7th Jan after opening the present(s)...then its dig into a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^ Ive had to work abroad over Christmas before, makes you really appreciate the smaller things of being at home. You can make two Christmases out of it. One in work and one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

SarahLil wrote: »
    Utility room clear out complete I've some goodies in hiding places in there from my OH, I should have put the tempting stuff in my mothers house my OH out tonight and I've polished off a bag of Rowantrees pick and mix :)

We also did a utility room clear out this weekend! I really need to get cracking on my kitchen presses - I've no willpower for it at the minute. Also need to clear out under the stairs & defrost one freezer...ugh

We also did a utility room clear out this weekend! I really need to get cracking on my kitchen presses - I've no willpower for it at the minute. Also need to clear out under the stairs & defrost one freezer...ugh

Great minds think a like, I've gotten rid of some bits from my kitchen presses so there's more room in them just need to get in and clean them

I'm feeling ugh today.. so are a few of my colleagues in the office today maybe there's something in the air today :) we mentioned Halloween in work earlier and we all agreed let's get it over with so we can kick off the Christmas season

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm not the biggest Halloween fan, but the €2 shop have Halloween crackers, so I might buy them for the weekend!
    They look a bit crap, but still. :pac:

• Advertisement

I do quite like Hallowe'en but I feel it's dragging on a bit this year...could be because I put our decorations up quite early this year...

I've started stocking up for Christmas now - got a bottle of baileys, a tray of coke & a box of Lindt sweets. I've hidden them all as last year, Mr. CL broke into the Christmas Coke in November :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I used to love halloween, the smell of bonfires and fireworks. All too safe nowadays so its no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    I used to love halloween, the smell of bonfires and fireworks. All too safe nowadays so its no fun.

I liked the trick or treating as a kid, but I’ve never understood the appeal of bonfires and, let’s face it, crap fireworks being set off by people who haven’t a clue. I do like that some people go all out with Halloween decorations though. Some of them are pretty cool.

Likewise, I've never seen the appeal of the bonfire, but I did like when Dad had fireworks when we were kids. But now I'm not fussed. As an adult though, I'm totally living Halloween through my kids :P I love dressing them up & decorating the house for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

I've a trip to a panto booked and I've booked our Santa visit so our December weekends are filling up already. I just want Halloween over so I can get focused on Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I was in Homestore & More and The Range in Limerick yesterday - both were working on their Christmas displays.

Bought 3 sets of coloured lights for Halloween to add to my one lonely string of pumpkins.....so the window is now all lit up......it's very different to Christmas, but it's like a warm up....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Omg go away for a while and I miss all the cleaning and prep posts ! :pac:

Been a crazy few weeks here have done the big toy clear out , bunk beds bought for my eldest so rooms were totally rearranged.

My hair and beauty apps have been booked for christmas :p and currently doing a clothes clear out .

For anyone looking for oven cleaning the box of oven cleaner in deals is amazing !

Quick question which I may have already asked in the past ( sorry !)

Does anyone have any good crystal or canteen sets they use for christmas? Litterly every women I know has a set of waterford or kilarney crystal glasses for christmas day. And I always swore id never get them I like a more modern less fussy pattern look but I keep eyeing them up in the shop !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Quick question which I may have already asked in the past ( sorry !)

Does anyone have any good crystal or canteen sets they use for christmas? Litterly every women I know has a set of waterford or kilarney crystal glasses for christmas day. And I always swore id never get them I like a more modern less fussy pattern look but I keep eyeing them up in the shop !

The Sauvignon Blanc range that WC do are really elegant and understated, not at all fussy. They are not cheap (around 50 euro for a set of two) but they look lovely, Arnotts stock them online. My brother gets me a set every Christmas and I've quite the collection now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Please help..
    I'm doing a second batch of Xmas fruit cakes here for the relations.
    Just realized the cherries I picked up aren't glace..they're Shamrock ones but not glace.
    Thoughts?

I honestly think they are the same: slightly translucent and sticky with syrup. Glacé cherries for baking.

(They are nothing like fresh cherries in any way, LOL)

• Advertisement

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Sauvignon Blanc range that WC do are really elegant and understated, not at all fussy. They are not cheap (around 50 euro for a set of two) but they look lovely, Arnotts stock them online. My brother gets me a set every Christmas and I've quite the collection now:)

Thanks daisy ! I will check them out that's a lovely idea for a gift especially as you've built them up over time !

I'm not mad about the fussy designs on the crystal glasses at all but it seems to be the done thing where I am anyway !

Booked my oven clean yesterday for Dec 7th! Am so excited about it (cos I'm the sad sort of person who likes to admire clean things:o).

Need to book my window clean next - going to wait a while though as we live next door to the inlaws who, judging by the bonfire that they light in their stove every night, may have been arsonists in a previous life :P If I get the windows done too soon, they'll be filthy again by Christmas!

Also need to start emptying our freezers cos I need to defrost one of them :(

Booked my oven clean yesterday for Dec 7th! Am so excited about it (cos I'm the sad sort of person who likes to admire clean things:o).

No ! Not weird at all! I love clean things :pac:

I have been working on my prep and got some gorgeous galway crystal table ware for christmas this year ! I'm so excited to use it lol ... I have no life :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Linda521

Just starting to get into prep mode myself....... Bought some decorations at the RDS home fair over the weekend and picked up my first Xmas present yesterday :)
    Next job is the dreaded oven. I see some of you have mentioned a professional cleaning service here - can anyone give me any recommendations for a service located in Dublin and an idea on what sort of price t expect?

Cheers,
    Linda

I bought the lit garland that Lidl had on Monday to go around the top of my kitchen units......a new idea for this year. So when I got home from my shopping on Monday, I climbed up to have a look at how I would attach it......and realised that the tops of my units badly needed to be cleaned, so cleaning was done. All I have to do now is buy some small cup hooks or something to hold it securly.
    I'm thinking if I screw them in discretely behind the ledge, I can use some of the green garden wire to attach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pigtail33

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I bought the lit garland that Lidl had on Monday to go around the top of my kitchen units

I was going to do the exact same thing! But the Lidl I went to on Monday didn't have them. I also tried a week ago, when they were supposed to be in the shops originally, but they never arrived. Is it quite a thick garland? I have approx a 3" 'lip' at the top of my kitchen units, so I don't want it to be completely hidden.

I'd say there was a huge demand. I was working on Monday so it was about 11.30 when I got to Lidl and I got the last one.....and if the empty section had been full of them, then there were a good few bought!! (Just as well I was working or it would have been a lot later!!!)

It's very flat in the box, so looks very wide, but even when the branches are fluffed out, I think it will cover the full lip piece. I'll have to be careful when adding any baubles, as like you, I only have about a 3 inch lip, so don't want to spend the month knocking baubles off of it everytime I open a cupboard. My drop down feature will have to be around the window, which hopefully will work out well as it's straight in from the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I love the idea of garland on top of kitchen units! Will have to check Lidl tomorrow if there is any left or keep an eye on garland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Thanks Chuckles. It was around 1:30 by the time I got there. There was no gap left in the basket tho, so maybe they didn't get any. It will be the wknd before I make it back to Lidl, I don't fancy my chances...

• Advertisement

The garland on top of the kitchen presses makes a huge difference. Started it a few years and kitchen just feels bare without it now. Also added lights. If you can get a pre lit garland so much easier.

Also try comand hooks foe securing it just lay the hook part facing to the back of the press and the wire from thr garland usually sits right in and stops it from falling off ! :)

Advertisement