Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos *be warned gamers

Options
  • 18-08-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭

So it would appear that Argos have made some changes recently that completely obliterate the high level of customer service in relation to in-store replacement.

Argos no longer offer an INSTANT in-store replacement for faulty electronic products.

If they cannot test the product they refer the customer to deal directly with the manufacturer.

They now have to test the product to determine if its faulty which can take a few days. I don't know how they are getting away with sending customers to deal with the manufacturer.

Here is a current thread documenting an Astro A50 headset return and replace saga in Argos. Also here is another poster describing the pain of returning an Elite controller.

For many years we have recommended gamers buy their hardware in Argos for their no BS when it came to return and replace. I for one won't be sending anyone their way again for hardware.

If you see posters contemplating a hardware purchase at Argos just warn them and point them to this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Change of ownership from last year seems to have affected operating policy here!
    It's a bit of a shít show, but I'd be more inclined to blame Sainsbury rather than Argos.

It will affect bottom line though, as Argos thrives off word of mouth, especially on boards.ie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Moved from the Xbox forum to the general gaming forum, as it affects all gamers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

From the story of the Astro's, doesn't the manufacturer have to reimburse the cost of sending the item back to them if its proven to be faulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm no solicitor but I thought that the purchase or contract was between the consumer and Argos and therefore it should be Argos that should sort out the matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm no solicitor but I thought that the purchase or contract was between the consumer and Argos and therefore it should be Argos that should sort out the matter.

It should, but it appears Argos is trying to pull a fast one. The law isn't worth much unless it's enforced, which means that people that are getting shafted by this policy change need to start complaining to the relevant regulator, going to the small claims court, and kicking up as much fuss as possible in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Always going to happen. Sure there are multiple examples on threads here of customers abusing the old system - and urging others to do so.

The retailer is entitled to verify the fault, I've no issues with that. Sending customers to the manufacturer is a different story, that's blatant flouting of their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

As good as Argos's policy was before, wasn't it extra generous in the first place to have an instant replacement though? Testing a returned product is pretty standard stuff for an electrical retailer. The other thing with the manufacturer is a whole other kettle of fish of course, don't see how they could circumvent the law if you have to deal with point of purchase.

this is what happens when you have people abusing a good thing, the amount of posters in here who would actively encourage others to abuse the system was unreal. This was an inevitable change and I'm surprised it took so long to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

this is what happens when you have people abusing a good thing, the amount of posters in here who would actively encourage others to abuse the system was unreal. This was an inevitable change and I'm surprised it took so long to change.

I have to agree with this part in fairness. It was unreal what people were admitting to pulling here on boards.

However Argos should be handling returns on behalf of the customer, not flogging them off to manufacturers.

Is that even legal if it's broke when you buy you should be able to replace or return it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Can you reference these posts.

I have only ever come across genuine people having issues with their consoles, controllers and headsets in the Xbox forum. So an exchange was totally warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I don't think anyone has a problem with Argos testing equipment. That is a mere inconvenience.

Denying consumers their statutory consumer rights by passing the buck to the manufacturer is a red card. I couldn't recommend any company to anyone doing this in fact I'd advise people to stay well clear of them now.

I always bought my gaming hardware in Argos because I knew if I had any issue with the product I'd get a no fuss replacement. I'd say Argos got good money throughout the years from like minded gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That policy is totally against consumer law but if Argos can get away with it they will push it. Unfortunately it will probably take the threat of small claims court to get Argos to move on it.

There's been an active push to offer poor customer service in the commercial world at the moment. Some boffins have crunched the numbers and found poor customer service costs less than good customer service and it's being rolled out everywhere.

I have only ever come across genuine people having issues with their consoles, controllers and headsets in the Xbox forum. So an exchange was totally warranted.

I could be a while looking for examples but I've definitely come across mulitple posts in various sections of boards boasting of beating the argos returns system - was one about a router or something similar?

Is that even legal if it's broke when you buy you should be able to replace or return it

If it's verified as faulty, it'll be refunded, replaced or repaired. They're just being more stringent on the verification process now.

What they shouldn't be doing is sending people to the manufacturer when the contract of sale exists between the retailer and the customer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I seem to recall posts (the router part reminded me) where he was buying a router to use while he waited for another one in the post. Was planning on returning it when the other arrived.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Just refuse to deal with manufacturer. If they insist, tell them you want it in writing that they refused and want the customer to deal with manufacturer. Spend €25 on small claims court. You'll win hands down as it's against the law. The more people that do it, the more likely they are to drop it as a policy. Vote with your wallet as well.

MarkR wrote: »
    I seem to recall posts (the router part reminded me) where he was buying a router to use while he waited for another one in the post. Was planning on returning it when the other arrived.

Yes, that's definitely one I remember

Not going through the forums but the fact that a number of people have mentioned it happening in this threads says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

Power City have that bull**** "take it up with the manufacturer" line too, so where someone is ignorant of consumer law (and many many are), they'll get away with it.

The other element though, whereby items have to be tested, I can see where they're coming from. There were times I've returned items and they've not even looked in the box to see what was in it. It was wide open to abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yawns wrote: »
    Just refuse to deal with manufacturer. If they insist, tell them you want it in writing that they refused and want the customer to deal with manufacturer. Spend €25 on small claims court. You'll win hands down as it's against the law. The more people that do it, the more likely they are to drop it as a policy. Vote with your wallet as well.

Sure we can all do that but what do i get for my €25? A waste of my time and a replacement/refund on my product. Its costing me time and money to get what is mine in accordance with the law. Its a ****ing joke

you also get your fee back as well. It's time wasted but sure you're wasting your time with the manufacturer. If the manager has any cop on, once you pull the threat of small claims court, they should cop on. They know it's against the law. Most likely a policy from head office that they have to enforce, if it stops enough people, they will think it's worth it( head office ) even tho it will harm their customer service image. It's ridiculous.

Competition and Consumer Protection Commission
    Bloom House
    PO Box 12585
    Railway Street
    Dublin 1
    Ireland
    Opening Hours:- Lines open Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm
    Tel:(01) 402 5555
    Locall:1890 432 432
    Fax:(01) 402 5501
    Homepage: http://www.ccpc.ie

Perhaps if enough people pester these guys, they might look into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

Yawns wrote: »
    you also get your fee back as well. It's time wasted but sure you're wasting your time with the manufacturer. If the manager has any cop on, once you pull the threat of small claims court, they should cop on. They know it's against the law. Most likely a policy from head office that they have to enforce, if it stops enough people, they will think it's worth it( head office ) even tho it will harm their customer service image. It's ridiculous.

Maybe you should be angry at people abusing the system that has lead to this. If people didn't abuse the system (and boast about it) this wouldn't happen.

Bebopclown wrote: »
    Maybe you should be angry at people abusing the system that has lead to this. If people didn't abuse the system (and boast about it) this wouldn't happen.

Plenty of blame to go around on this one. For every person on boards advocating that a poster should rip Argos off, there was ten telling that they shouldn't.

The proper response to your customers abusing your generosity is not to violate the law, it's to test the products. A bit of a faff for customers, but totally and utterly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Bebopclown wrote: »

Its against the law to refuse to deal with customers. Nobody is forcing the company to take that step.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So i take it that it would be advisable to walk into the store with your faulty product and a copy of your consumer rights under your arm https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/?gclid=COXCuqeB49UCFYi37Qodl5gLWg

Just stand your ground and be calm about it. Ask to speak to a manager and insist that your contract is with Argos and not with the manufacturer. If Argos wish to have the item tested at their own expense, then fine. The customer is not required to deal with the manufacturer directly.

I can blame the people ripping Argos off for this change in policy. That's fine if they want to test the item first before deciding if one of the 3 R's are applicable. However it's not fine to ignore consumer law and actually go against it. We can't blame people for that. I'm sure most people would be fine with Argos testing items. It's the breaking the law that has people's backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont see this being an issue for normal people who dont try to rip argos off, the only people affected are the people who tried to rip argos off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I dont see this being an issue for normal people who dont try to rip argos off, the only people affected are the people who tried to rip argos off.

There's two different things going on here though:

1) Argos wants to examine returned items, to confirm an issue/defect, before deciding on the correct course of action. I'm totally fine with that, no issue there whatsoever.

2) Argos are shrugging off their legal responsibilities in the event of a return, by pushing the customer toward dealing directly with the retailer. That, I have an issue with. The contract is with Argos, and it's up to them to resolve any issues, up to them to do the running around, the phone calls, arranging couriers etc. Not the customer.

Advertisement