Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to school costs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

Homeschooling is the way to go, public schools exist to brainwash children into becoming compliant sheep.

Agree , I mean it's much better for parents to brainwash their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

A lot of teachers and parents are absolutely obsessed with this kind of nonsense though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

anna080 wrote: »
    Cockapoo. Sure you could be teaching your kid any old sh!te at home. You're also depriving them of the opportunity to flourish socially and engage with children their age. It's not just formal education that helps children intellectually develop, there are so many other factors that a regulated system like school can include which benefits a growing child far more than sitting at home can.

That's crap actually. Pretty much every study ever done on homeschooling shows that homeschooled children are, on average, several years ahead of their peers academically. Have significantly better social skills and a more rounded and varied range of experiences. It may be called homeschooling, but that's a misnomer. It's actually out-in-the-worldschooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I started a thread in the Education forum on IPads and books. Didn't get a response. So, at the risk of repeating myself;

Someone I know has been told that they have to buy hard copy books as well as an iPad with downloaded copies of the same books.

Apparently, at the end of the year, the downloaded copies of the books are wiped and have to be repurchased for her younger children. They cannot be passed on like the hard copies.

Is this really the case?

If so, could she not buy a Kindle and download the books to that and keep them?

Please tell me she's mistaken.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

iguana wrote: »
    That's crap actually. Pretty much every study ever done on homeschooling shows that homeschooled children are, on average, several years ahead of their peers academically. Have significantly better social skills and a more rounded and varied range of experiences. It may be called homeschooling, but that's a misnomer. It's actually out-in-the-worldschooling.

Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

When I was a youngfella (back in the 90's) the most of the back to school spending was on stationary and books with torn covers. Perhaps a new lunch box but if I gathered more than £10 of "inky biros", pencils and pencil cases I'd be made put some back

I went to school in Holland for a short while and you didn't even have to buy books there. They were all supplied by the school.

But what happened since the 90's? A brand new Core i7 laptop and several 100 worth of clothing seems to be the run of the mill now. What happens these days if you attempt to send a youngster to school with a fistfull of inky biros and some books with torn covers?

Are the €1,000+ cost per child of sending them back to school genuine or is everyone just trying to outdo each other?
    I went to school in England and, apart from the school uniform (tie, uncrested jumper, and black trousers), you didn't pay for a thing re. books. pens, etc etc). Why isn't it the responsibility of the dept of education to supply these items here?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

blueser wrote: »
    I went to school in England and, apart from the school uniform (tie, uncrested jumper, and black trousers), you didn't pay for a thing re. books. pens, etc etc). Why isn't it the responsibility of the dept of education to supply these items here?

How used the whole pen thing work?
    I used go through several in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

iguana wrote: »

It would be interesting to see those studies and how many take into account social or economic background of parents and their education. How do academic results of homeschooled kids compare to kids in private schools?

Another problem is that homeschooling is not homogeneous. State system is roughly the same everywhere, what is the variance inside studied homeschooled methods? Are we talking about structured or unstructured homeschooling, are there fees involved. I googled for research on the subject and a lot of top results were questions about how representative research on the subject is. It would be interesting if you could post links to some studies you mentioned. Also were comparisons made globally or for example in USA which are not renowned for high quality school system. What are results like in Ireland or Finland for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Exactly, the parents need to band together, you're all in the same boat. I don't know why any parent would be happy to be paying all this extra money for a crest on a jumper etc, even if they have the money, it could be going into other things. A crest on your jumper and a picture on your lunchbox means shag all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just to clarify as my daughter is in this school
    The tablet only lasts 3,years
    Leaving cert is back to books
    And the tablet won't be able be passed to the second child as the first will still be using it
    You'd be very lucky to pass any clothes down either as they fall apart!

A €300 uniform falls apart?

erica74 wrote: »
    A €300 uniform falls apart?

I suppose after wearing for something for a few years it does go a bit shabby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dinarius wrote: »
    I started a thread in the Education forum on IPads and books. Didn't get a response. So, at the risk of repeating myself;

Someone I know has been told that they have to buy hard copy books as well as an iPad with downloaded copies of the same books.

Apparently, at the end of the year, the downloaded copies of the books are wiped and have to be repurchased for her younger children. They cannot be passed on like the hard copies.

Is this really the case?

Thanks.

D.

I would be interested in hearing more detail about this. Thus far my only experience is the eBooks. The cost of eBooks is the Same as the paper copy. So when you buy one you get the other. In one way its handy because you can keep the paper books say at school but use the ebook version at home, so you don't have to carry them. But the access to the ebook is via a code in the book. I dunno how you re-use that if you pass the book on. As its registered to a single email account. For my kids account it meant registering for 3 different portals. I assume in theory you could register a generic email for all ebooks and get all kids to use the same code. But you couldn't then pass it on to someone outside your family. I assume the iPad package would be similar in that it would be registered to one user, one email as the iPad are not mutli user devices. The system I saw can only be used for schoolwork. You can't use that iPad for anything else.

Again I don't the details, I've only had very limited experience with the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My 2 cousins are being homeschooled in the states and they're obnoxious socially awkward little sh1ts. I think interacting with kids their own age instead of being indulged at home picking and choosing what aspects of life they want to avoid is important to grow as a well rounded person

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The missus went to the book shop to sell 13.secondary school books great condition four of them never opened

They bought two off her the rest are obsolete even though they were bought last year

No problem contributing to my children's education but this is a total fcuking scam

The main people I have heard of being home schooled either have very religious or very atheist parents. They keep the kids at home so they don't get indoctrinated in the school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Dinarius wrote: »

Is this really the case?

Thanks.

D.

No mistake.....

In the school that I am dealing with, they have now decided that you need downloaded Ebooks and also hard copies - apparently this decision was reached following feedback received from parents. I was never asked my opinion - presumably because I dared to ask a few hard questions at the very start of the process that they weren't ready to hear.

The Ebooks are issued on a time restricted licence and can not be passed on.

You can't download the books outside of the school portal and since they are interactive apps, they would be of restricted use as simple text formats. However, no one can tell me of any reports that produced conclusions on the effectiveness of the apps in the Irish educational system - what quality are they, what benefit do they actually produce?

All in all, the commercial aspect of this whole process is a scam where normal market forces for keeping costs down have been nobbled by setting up monopolistic arrangements with the equipment supply/training/maintenance company 'partnered' with the schools.

This is a costly ad hoc technology experiment being undertaken by certain schools and implemented at their own discretion, while being paid for by parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ger Roe wrote: »
    No mistake.....

In the school that I am dealing with, they have now decided that you need downloaded Ebooks and also hard copies - apparently this decision was reached following feedback received from parents. I was never asked my opinion - presumably because I dared to ask a few hard questions at the very start of the process that they weren't ready to hear.

The Ebooks are issued on a time restricted licence and can not be passed on.

You can't download the books outside of the school portal and since they are interactive apps, they would be of restricted use as simple text formats. However, no one can tell me of any reports that produced conclusions on the effectiveness of the apps in the Irish educational system - what quality are they, what benefit do they actually produce?

All in all, the commercial aspect of this whole process is a scam where normal market forces for keeping costs down have been nobbled by setting up monopolistic arrangements with the equipment supply/training/maintenance company 'partnered' with the schools.

This is a costly ad hoc technology experiment being undertaken by certain schools and implemented at their own discretion, while being paid for by parents.

Oh so an actual racket? Expect to see this on prime time in year or two

As far as I could see those were kids who were part of structured programme with parents paying for test and support. It was also a study where only kids of parents who agreed to participate were researched. It is safe to say those were kids whose parents probably had very high ambition, means and interest in education. That is not true for general population. Kids in less structured education also tend to preform worse than other groups (homeschooled or not).

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/homeschooling-101/academic-achievement/

It's also worth to mention that wast majority of quoted research is US based. USA do significantly worse on Pisa average scores for maths, science and reading than a lot of European countries including Ireland.

That doesn't mean individual homeschooled kids won't preform better but the conclusions about averages are highly questionable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

meeeeh wrote: »
    They also offer them possibility to meet their peers and make friendships for life. Besides who says homeschooled kids are not brainwashed only by their parents in that instance.

Personally if I wanted to teach I would become a teacher. I don't. It doesn't mean I have no interest my kids education, it means I am happy for someone else to do the donkey work.

Do you also think it's good for your children if they shower naked with their peers at school ? No you don't, because you are Irish, however if you were Danish you would most likely think that.. you see you have your beliefs because that's what you have been told your whole life. https://www.google.ie/url?q=http://dybbol-skolen.skoleporten.dk/sp/273080/file/Fullscreen/7fdd6125-7bea-4733-989c-033c430e9421&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi_iYSdhOjVAhXI3SYKHWHTDJEQFggMMAo&usg=AFQjCNGh6yoHR3Utkh8NN0_aC7N6BecM7Q

Do you also think it's good for your children if they shower naked with their peers at school ? No you don't, because you are Irish, however if you were Danish you would most likely think that.. you see you have your beliefs because that's what you have been told your whole life. https://www.google.ie/url?q=http://dybbol-skolen.skoleporten.dk/sp/273080/file/Fullscreen/7fdd6125-7bea-4733-989c-033c430e9421&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi_iYSdhOjVAhXI3SYKHWHTDJEQFggMMAo&usg=AFQjCNGh6yoHR3Utkh8NN0_aC7N6BecM7Q
    Unfortunately I don't read Danish. But you are wrong I have no problem with communal showers. That's the problem making assumptions on limited facts, you might make wrong conclusions. I am not Irish. I have a little bit of experience of Irish education system (my children and conversations with others) and a lot more experience of Slovenian school system. Both are preforming highly in international comparisons. I can't see how limited research in lesser educational system would be that relevant and representative to make conclusions in Ireland.

I'm sure your child is very bright. However kids in Finland barely start school at seven and yet their educational system out preforms most. But I also wouldn't do conclusions on seven years olds. That age is only start of educational process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think they should get rid of the school uniforms.

Awful looking clothes.

I know people will come back with well it stops children competing with each other over brands etc but it works fine in the majority of countries in the world so why would it not work here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

That is definitely easy to say but hard to implement. If you had a class of 30 seven years olds a few of which have dyscalculia and other SEN, I would imagine it would be very difficult to differentiate enough to encompass the weakest children and challenge the most able students (with geometry and algebra) at the same time. Sure its a teacher's job to differentiate but I can't see this degree of differentiation being implemented successfully.
    The time allocation probably isn't there.

Can I ask out of interest if you plan on home schooling your children once they reach High School age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think they should get rid of the school uniforms.

Awful looking clothes....

I think thats the point though.

• Advertisement

Well to me there is a lot more to education than just maths.

Advertisement