Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US officers strip a woman naked and perform a search

Options
  • 18-08-2017 5:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

So these 2 hero characters had charges dropped against them after literally taking off the pants of a black(obviously) woman and searching her vagina for drugs.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/after-charges-dropped-against-deputies-who-searched-womans-vagina-attorney-releases-video-9700612

''Strong pulled Corley over in June 2015 after she allegedly rolled a stop sign. During the stop, one of the deputies claimed he smelled marijuana, and asked Corley if he could search her vehicle. She said yes. He didn't find anything, but was apparently not satisfied. The deputies said they would call female deputies, including Pierre, to perform a search on Corley's person.

It turned into a search of Corley's vagina on the pavement of the Texaco gas station — without a warrant.

Video footage of the stop (viewable here) shows Corley on the ground with her legs spread and knees bent backward, her feet pointing toward her head with her pants appearing to dangle from one shoe. The details of the search are obscured by her car's open door, but her uncomfortable position is unmistakable as the deputy apparently shines a flashlight on her genitals, performing what is referred to in the lawsuit as a "visual strip search."

According to the lawsuit, a female deputy had instructed Corley to pull down her pants; Corley said no, because she wasn't wearing underwear. In her sworn affidavit, Corley says the deputy responded, "So?" After the visual search yielded nothing, Corley claims the deputy then stuck her fingers in her vagina. Deputies claimed they found 0.2 ounces of marijuana — an offense that would not even yield criminal charges anymore under District Attorney Kim Ogg, who instead of prosecuting misdemeanor marijuana possession cases now offers a diversion program.

Former DA Devon Anderson's administration ultimately dismissed the charges against Corley, who was also charged with resisting arrest, apparently for not wanting authorities to violate her in public. “After the trial prosecutor investigated the facts in Ms. Corley’s case,” Anderson's office wrote at the time, “she found that the search was offensive and shocking, and this office immediately dismissed the charges against Ms. Corley.”

Former sheriff Ron Hickman instead supported his deputies, saying they did nothing wrong and that the DA's charges of official oppression against Strong and Pierre were based on little more than "a local news report." Anderson's office quickly shot back, saying the DA's office found Hickman's suggestion "disappointing on many levels" and that it was "spurious and uninformed," saying prosecutors had reviewed a load of evidence before bringing the case to a grand jury.''

Many times it comes up here on boards that in the United States the law system is great and it should be like that here. Cops killing more citizens then actual murderers and highest prison population in the world. It's hilarious that's its called the country of freedom yet it has a higher prison population than North Korea and China. But hey these officers did nothing wrong, that's why the charges were dropped. I agree the Gardai should be let to strip you down naked and search you...... Because apparently there are many here that want it in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That's what happens when you give people power and automatic unquestioning respect/positions if autority

They'll abuse it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely disgusting. Total abuse of power and authority. I dearly hope the Houston police department is sued for millions because of this and that the officers directly involved are fired.

This is why groups like BLM (who I don't agree with in terms of their aggressive stance) exist in the first place. If those cops had shot her dead, I wouldn't be that surprised. Racism was the primary motive here.

But this is the USA and this is Texas, one of the most socially backward places in the a western world. And with the Orange faced narcissist in power, the Land Of The Free is tearing itself apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That whole country seems to have gone mad in recent years

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

And that's why you always wear clean underwear.

Pretty messed up though. Why's this in AH though? Looking for a bit of light hearted brevity? r

It's not mine, it's my baby's.

How did that get there?

Gweneth Paltrow said it would sort my chi

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Her mistake was consenting to a search in the first place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

MarkR wrote: »
    And that's why you always wear clean underwear.

Pretty messed up though. Why's this in AH though? Looking for a bit of light hearted brevity? r

It's not mine, it's my baby's.

How did that get there?

Gweneth Paltrow said it would sort my chi

More like sort her gee.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

This is why I have absolutely no respect for America anymore. I'll never go there.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

This is why I have absolutely no respect for America anymore. I'll never go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That poor woman. I hope she does them for rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If she didn't they might use it as an excuse to try out their shiny new taser

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

kylith wrote: »
    That poor woman. I hope she does them for rape.

Well... she tried but the charges were dropped because ''the officers did nothing wrong''

Synthol wrote: »
    Well... she tried but the charges were dropped because ''the officers did nothing wrong''

I am fcking livid. They stripped her from the waist in a petrol station and they did. nothing. wrong.

That poor woman. I can only imagine how she must feel.

Taser? When did you see US cops using taser? There was another story about how another woman called the cops because she saw somebody getting raped and as she tried to approach the cop car she was shot and killed immediately because the cops feared for their safety and as I am sure you could guess, the charges were dropped as well. She was the one that called cops for help and it was her that was killed.

kylith wrote: »
    I am fcking livid. They stripped her from the waste in a petrol station and they did. nothing. wrong.

That poor woman. I can only imagine how she must feel.

There was another story recently about a woman who called cops because she saw someone getting raped, the cops came and as the woman tried to approach the cop car to explain the situation, she got shot and killed immediately. And obviously the charges were dropped because the cops were fearing for their safety of a woman in pyjamas.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There was another story recently about a woman who called cops because she saw someone getting raped, the cops came and as the woman tried to approach the cop car to explain the situation, she got shot and killed immediately. And obviously the charges were dropped because the cops were fearing for their safety of a woman in pyjamas.

I hadn't heard they were dropped. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is this what General Lee fought and died for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

MarkR wrote: »

I hadn't heard they were dropped. Source?

As of two days ago, the investigation was still ongoing.

Why not just do it then? Why ask?

Answer - because they have no legal right to do anything unless you submit to the search.

You could argue that they could arrest her, but again - they have no grounds, and if they ASK if they can search, then they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Let's call this what it is: rape

eviltwin wrote: »
    Let's call this what it is: rape

Unfotunately, no - she consented. Might still be defined as an assault though.

• Advertisement

How do we know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cops killing more citizens then actual murderers
    No. The Guardian documented about 1,146 police-related deaths in 2015 (some of them simply people who died in police custody, not due to police activity). There were 15,696 murders in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/latest-crime-statistics-released

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

tigger123 wrote: »
    Is this what General Lee fought and died for?

No, she'd have been lynched mobbed if this was the Confederacy and not the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not to an internal search.

With the current situation between black people and the police in the US she would probably have a case in saying that she felt in fear for her life if she didn't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Syphonax wrote: »
    No, she'd have been lynched mobbed if this was the Confederacy and not the USA.

War wasn't about slavery. Who's to say Lee wouldn't have put a stop to it?

Read up objective sources about Lee. He wasn't the type of man you think he was. Winner writes the history and all that.

Personally I want Washington State and DC both renamed considering that George was a slave owner. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Read up objective sources about Lee. He wasn't the type of man you think he was. Winner writes the history and all that.

Personally I want Washington State and DC both renamed considering that George was a slave owner. :D:D

The civil war was about slavery, the southern states formed the Confederacy because they wanted to keep slavery in their States. It was a huge reason for the breakout of the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Normally I am a bit hesitant of the outrage at US police related stuff (depending on the case) as its a different jurisdiction with very high rates of gun crime and some "witness" stuff has later turned out to be false, this though just speaks to either a complete lack of training or a desire to humiliate and assert authority, like what sort of officer would think that doing this by the side of the road is a smart idea in 2015 (so very much in the period that increased attention had been payed to US policing)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Syphonax wrote: »
    The civil war was about slavery, the southern states formed the Confederacy because they wanted to keep slavery in their States. It was a huge reason for the breakout of the war.

The main cause was the issue of State's rights and rights of expansion into the west.

Slavery was a factor but a minor one, The Yankees were concerned about blacks being brought into the western territories on a large scale basis. They wanted to keep it white labour only.

• Advertisement

Washington wasn't perfect, but he did mandate in his will that his slaves be freed.

Advertisement