Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pathside Charging Points

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cros13 wrote: »
    Ah... sure it's often easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

If the council objects:
    newsdesk@irishtimes.com
    mkeenan@independent.ie
    george.lee@rte.ie

Sometimes trial by media is the only way to get them moving...

That’s the problem. I can’t advise a client to spend 2k, then lodge a retention application to be told that it must be removed. I don’t think it will now, but I believe a valid planning application could set a good precedent but the clients have not asked me to that as of yet.
    liamog wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to give Noel Rock a shout too.
    He's pro EV (I think he drives a Leaf) and this is one area we could really do with some legislation.

Cheers yeah, I’m already friends with him on FB so award of his pro EV status. He is also quite active on the FB group.

The legislation is already there, it requires planning if in a public place. It doesn’t require planning if in your front garden but then again it wouldn’t require the pole if you have a front garden so catch 22.

I’d love to lodge a planning for one as it will set the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

unkel wrote: »
    Result!

I know you've posted pictures before of your house and iirc your parking space is just across the (public) path from your house. In my case the installer was looking for well over a grand extra to put a similar concrete pedestal charger in on my driveway that I own. It would have been convenient, but I found the money excessive and just went with the free install (and bought a 15m Type 2 cable that I leave tethered to the charger for convenience). I'm actually surprised you didn't go for the tethered charger?

Do you mind sharing how much the total install cost was extra on top of the free charger? You'd be doing a lot of people a favour as there are almost zero new reasonably affordable houses (say under €400k) being built in the greater Dublin area where people have their own driveway

Next step: sign up with Just Energy, charge your car for free at home and mine a few cryptocurrencies for free too :D

D15 has/had loads of newly built houses with own driveway for sale @ under 300k, nevermind 400k

Crazy amount of construcion in the area

That charger looks really good Liamog

Who do you have home insurance with?

They seem pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kceire wrote: »
    Nice job.

I’m currently involved in 2 of these for clients but planning permission and management companies are holding them up.

The planning end is where I come in. One council here in dubli has already put it on record that planning is required as I lodged a Section 5. This is most likely due to its location though. The site in South Dublin is contained within a larger area that is deemed to be in the list of national monuments (Newcastle).

The other in Dublin City, the council has classed it as works. It’s nkt street furniture so can’t enjoy that exemption. If it was in a garden you could enjoy the 1.2m height exemption but on the public grass area it is deemed as to requiring planning.

Both clients are pondering their next move.

I'm in South Dublin in an apartment. Are they only looking for PP because it's a national monument or for all their areas?

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm in South Dublin in an apartment. Are they only looking for PP because it's a national monument or for all their areas?

It’s because it’s in the public domain. It can’t be classed as garden furniture and is specifically classed as works under the Planning & Development Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So if you bought a house with one of these in a public area you would be taking responsibility for an unauthorised development which probably wouldn't show up in a planning search.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    So if you bought a house with one of these in a public area you would be taking responsibility for an unauthorised development which probably wouldn't show up in a planning search.

Very possible.
    A good Building Surveyor should
    Pick up on an EV charging point outside and enquire about it as part of his report.

It also could slip under the radar as if I was carrying out such a survey, then I would be more aware of these things from owning an EV as opposed to another Surveyor who would not be as up to date with charging options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I was going to ask about planning. I presume it's required for a roadside installation.

BoatMad wrote: »
    I was going to ask about planning. I presume it's required for a roadside installation.

Yes depending on location. You will need management company approval and then planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Excuse my ignorance on this but have a few questions as my house is similar to this as it has a footpath outside. But I also have a designated private underground car park spot which would be ideal for this and I do want to go EV, or at least PHEV pretty soon.

Where does the power come from? Does it have it's own power supply or is it drawing power from your house? Is it on its own meter or the house meter?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mine is ran direct from the distribution board at the front of the house.
    It's probably a shorter cable run than some of the more conventional installs.

Doesn't have a separate meter at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

liamog wrote: »
    Mine is ran direct from the distribution board at the front of the house.
    It's probably a shorter cable run than some of the more conventional installs.

Doesn't have a separate meter at all.

Does it cross a public footpath? How did you deal with This?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's buried under what is technically a private footpath owned by the management company. As a homeowner, technically I own a fraction of the pavement. I think it's 1/238.

Excuse my ignorance on this but have a few questions as my house is similar to this as it has a footpath outside. But I also have a designated private underground car park spot which would be ideal for this and I do want to go EV, or at least PHEV pretty soon.

Where does the power come from? Does it have it's own power supply or is it drawing power from your house? Is it on its own meter or the house meter?

Power has to come from a metered premise, as it has to be paid for by somebody. If there is no direct path from the EV charge point to the Consumer Unit (Fuse Board) then it will be very difficult to get a charger installed.

Does it cross a public footpath? How did you deal with This?

This is where the permissions come in. In a Managed estate, the management company have to agree to dig up a small trench or indeed give you permission to do it once insured etc

Advertisement