Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby Championship 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Embarrassing doing a celebration when you're losing by that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Where has this linespeed been??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Embarrassing doing a celebration when you're losing by that much

Not at all. You need to get the confidence and belief up. If they can get another couple of tries then the scoreline would be made far more respectable. You've gotta get everyone up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

molloyjh wrote: »
    Not at all. You need to get the confidence and belief up. If they can get another couple of tries then the scoreline would be made far more respectable. You've gotta get everyone up for that.

All the confidence in the world wouldn't help this Aussie team. This is embarrassing, the basic skills are not there, any respectability went out the door in the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

New Zealand went to sleep after the 50th minute.

Could be a 100 point game

If I'm Barnes, I'm absolutely giving every 50-50 to Aus, the old Nigel Owens trick to getting an exciting finale!

Quintis wrote: »
    All the confidence in the world wouldn't help this Aussie team. This is embarrassing, the basic skills are not there, any respectability went out the door in the first half

In the last 3-4 years we're the only ones who put more than 30 points on NZ. If they can get another converted try, or even 2 more, that would give them something going into next week. Attacking wise they actually have shown some decent bits of rugby throughout. And no other team in the Championship will be as strong as NZ.

I'd love this to be a score.

• Advertisement

Nige obviously wants him going upstairs - can't have Barnes reffing the biggest comeback of all time!

Kuidrani knocked on......

EDIT: came off the leg.

Forward pass and offside. Take your pick.

Dare we dream?

Hahahahaha, if that was game defining that probably wouldn't be awarded. But feck it. That's a far better scoreline even if NZ have switched off.

That is an abysmal call. The camera angle isn't side on to the play, it's looking from behind.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    That is an abysmal call. The camera angle isn't side on to the play, it's looking from behind.

I think it was inconclusive and they are looking for a reason to disallow so it's probably fair. Could have gone either way without it necessarily being a bad call.

I think we're seeing a blueprint for beating NZ here - let them get 50 points ahead, then come back when they tune out.

Entertaining match. Bit harsh on the Aussies, allowing them a false 14 point swing at the end. They're probably going to be thinking they're not completely useless, now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Missed the match unfortunately but New Zealand going scoreless for the final 30 mins of a game seems very unusual...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First half was a joy to watch but allowing the Aussies back in in the second half was very disappointing. Still it was men and boys stuff and you have to ask where's Australian rugby union going?

• Advertisement

You'd imagine our fellow celts will beat the spread (15.5) against Argentina later on.

Saffers massively fired up here. Beast was in tears during the anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What the hell is poite talking about "blue player touched the ball" !?!

What sort of suicide finish was that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

What a counter attack from the Pumas.

The missed kicks will cost them tho I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Was he not held there? Looked like that tackle was completed.

Was he not held there? Looked like that tackle was completed.

100% was, poor miss from the refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I notice Australia didn't get a try bonus point for 4 tries as the system they use can only give one team a try bonus (if they score 3 or more tries more than their opponents).
    What are the pros and cons of this system?
    Seeing as the SH clearly like it is it likely to be used in future WCs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The advantage is teams who score the BP can't phone it in afterwards and stop trying to score. Also a team can't get a BP where they score four tries and get hockeyed on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So...any Leinster fans ready to convince me of the merits of Cheika as an international coach? I don't really remember his reign as Leinster coach, but obviously he had success, and he also did get a Super Rugby title with the Waratahs. In his first season as Australian coach, he beat NZ once and got to the RWC final.

However, in the last few months, it's been hard to discern what the actual Australian game plan is, and they have no defence to speak of, at least for much of the match in the weekend. They have lost to a lot of teams, including a whitewash at home to England. Any time the camera pans to the coaching box, he has his hands thrown in the air, and even a half-blind person can lipread the constant string of profanities - if you think the problem is outside of your sphere of control (ie it's all the refs fault), you're in trouble.

It is just a case of crap players, and there is nothing any other coach could do better...or is Cheika just not cut out for international rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So...any Leinster fans ready to convince me of the merits of Cheika as an international coach? I don't really remember his reign as Leinster coach, but obviously he had success, and he also did get a Super Rugby title with the Waratahs. In his first season as Australian coach, he beat NZ once and got to the RWC final.

However, in the last few months, it's been hard to discern what the actual Australian game plan is, and they have no defence to speak of, at least for much of the match in the weekend. They have lost to a lot of teams, including a whitewash at home to England. Any time the camera pans to the coaching box, he has his hands thrown in the air, and even a half-blind person can lipread the constant string of profanities - if you think the problem is outside of your sphere of control (ie it's all the refs fault), you're in trouble.

It is just a case of crap players, and there is nothing any other coach could do better...or is Cheika just not cut out for international rugby?

More to do with the fact not enough talented players. Rugby Union is dying in Australia.

swiwi_ wrote: »

Outside of Hooper, Beale, Falou they've no world class players. Genia is nowhere near his '11 form and Foley is inconsistent. It's no surprise to me they're performances or results, they simple haven't got the players anymore, nothing Cheika can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would say it's more a minor miracle that Cheika got them to a RWC final as opposed to him not being good enough to coach at test level. Australian rugby is in the absolute doldrums. A team has just been cut, finances are dwindling, the playing numbers are circling the drain...morale must be at the lowest ebb it has been for decades. Nobody can be surprised with yesterday given the incredible 0/26 statistic in Super Rugby.

In fairness, I think his race is run with the Wallabies. He has been with them for a few years now and a new voice is probably needed. There's only so much he can do and I think his style is one of bringing an structure and steel to a team but that has to wear off eventually. It got them settled and peaked for the RWC but that's been on a downward curve since.

If you look at the Australian side that played yesterday I'd struggle to be able to say who some of them play for in Super Rugby....Ned Hannigan, Curtis Rona...I barely know the names. And if you go through the rest of the team, I think 8 of them had 15 caps or less. The players simply are not there any longer. The starters that are experienced are guys like Beale and Genia who aren't a shadow of the players they once were.

I would not be surprised if Australia finish last in the tournament and Cheika resigns (possibly even before the end of the tournament).

The world is out to get Cheika

Could see that intercept coming mile off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Wow

Basil3 wrote: »
    Could see that intercept coming mile off

Speight was directly in McKenzies eyeline, Folau's run was behind Speight, clever run, hard to see from McKenzie's POV. Brave call from Faolau, miss that and they are 5-0 down

Weak defence from NZ for Hoopers try

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Jesus Christ we've got a game here! 0-17 with a conversion to go.

• Advertisement

Jesus

This is gonna be painful for Aussie.

Let's see them call this knock on as "inconclusive" :D

That'll be disallowed. Should've taken the conversion straight away

Well this is not the same team from last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Give the try Nigel

This has Ireland 2013 written all over it. You've peaked too early, Aussie. They have over an hour to come back into it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What a try that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Buer wrote: »
    I would say it's more a minor miracle that Cheika got them to a RWC final as opposed to him not being good enough to coach at test level. Australian rugby is in the absolute doldrums. A team has just been cut, finances are dwindling, the playing numbers are circling the drain...morale must be at the lowest ebb it has been for decades. Nobody can be surprised with yesterday given the incredible 0/26 statistic in Super Rugby.

In fairness, I think his race is run with the Wallabies. He has been with them for a few years now and a new voice is probably needed. There's only so much he can do and I think his style is one of bringing an structure and steel to a team but that has to wear off eventually. It got them settled and peaked for the RWC but that's been on a downward curve since.

If you look at the Australian side that played yesterday I'd struggle to be able to say who some of them play for in Super Rugby....Ned Hannigan, Curtis Rona...I barely know the names. And if you go through the rest of the team, I think 8 of them had 15 caps or less. The players simply are not there any longer. The starters that are experienced are guys like Beale and Genia who aren't a shadow of the players they once were.

I would not be surprised if Australia finish last in the tournament and Cheika resigns (possibly even before the end of the tournament).

He's doing well here today ;)

I think they mixed up the jerseys before the game, NZ must be in yellow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

lol Justin Marshall doesn't understand the phrase professional foul.

'That's a professional foul, accidental or not!'

Lurch might be in trouble here "win at all costs"

• Advertisement
Advertisement