Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Rickie Fowler ever win a Major?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

GreeBo wrote: »
    His short putting is pretty immense, I do wonder how it will last as he gets older though, that style doesnt suit an older guy (especially one searching for a major!)

True it's very much a younger man's stroke, I can't see him using it once the nerves get a bit more frayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I think it's ridiculous to say no he won't win one,the chances are he probably won't win one but that's only because there are only 4 a year and you need to peak in all parts of the game on a given week.
    People said the same about Garcia and he proved them wrong.
    There are many different ways to win a major..remember Ogilvy in the U.S Open,having a sandwich in the clubhouse thinking..nice 1 ..top 5 finish then everyone in contention messes up including Monty and Phil and he's handed the trophy almost by fluke.. different pressure levels than the last few groups.

My own opinion is he will win at least one as I think he's probably the best putter on tour on his day,probably win the British open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

I think it's ridiculous to say no he won't win one,the chances are he probably won't win one but that's only because there are only 4 a year and you need to peak in all parts of the game on a given week.
    People said the same about Garcia and he proved them wrong.
    There are many different ways to win a major..remember Ogilvy in the U.S Open,having a sandwich in the clubhouse thinking..nice 1 ..top 5 finish then everyone in contention messes up including Monty and Phil and he's handed the trophy almost by fluke.. different pressure levels than the last few groups.

My own opinion is he will win at least one as I think he's probably the best putter on tour on his day,probably win the British open.

That’s fair.
    But if someone said back in 1999 that Sergio would finish up with one major, he’d have been laughed out of it. Everyone would have assumed he’d pick up a handful. You just never know.
    I used to think Rickie’s best chance would be a bad weather Open as he can really flight the ball in the wind, but now I kinda think it might be doing something like he did when he won The Players, some sort of crazy back nine finish on Sunday. Maybe coming home in 30 shots at Augusta while the leaders struggle in Amen Corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I think he is a good golfer, but seems seems to have problems winning. He has 8 professional wins in total, 4 on the PGA, 2 in Europe and 2 others. That doesn’t sound great for somebody who has been mooted over the years as a major winner. For some reason he has not been able to close out the normal competitions where he has been in a good position, so it is hard to see him doing it for a major. Saying that, he has put some cracking rounds together over the years, just needs to do them all over the 1 weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Always high up the leaderboard. Seems to have a good attitude. His putting is excellent. His first major will begin a string of them.

• Advertisement

He'll have a Garcia masters w/end sometime and win one - won't take as long as Garcia either.
    Lucky Garcia got that one considering his form since.
    Even Darren Clarke got one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

glasso wrote: »
    He'll have a Garcia masters w/end sometime and win one - won't take as long as Garcia either.
    Lucky Garcia got that one considering his form since.
    Even Darren Clarke got one!

Sometimes the stars just align.

Garcia, like Lowry, has more important things(kids) in his life atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He will for sure. Didn't play well this year and was still second in the Masters. Reed did well to win, but had a huge slice of luck on the 17th in the final round. The ball was going 15ft past, and hit the hole. He was left with a 5 footer. If it was any longer he may have missed. Reed only won by one in the end, that was the one. Fowler will win at least one, probably three or more in the wind up. The downside is he is just hitting 30 years old, time doesn't stand still for anyone

Advertisement