Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Rickie Fowler ever win a Major?

Options
  • 15-08-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

So 2017 saw first Major wins by Sergio Garcia, Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas.

Makes me wonder if Rickie Fowler will ever win a Major. He's been close a few times, but is he mentally strong enough to make the big breakthrough?

Will Rickie Fowler ever win a Major? 78 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 78 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ye he will - too good a player not too and has been close a few times already. it's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The only thing that's stopping him is strong competition.

There's no guarantee he will win one, but he's got the game and I don't think he suffers mentally to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Capable of winning any one of the four which is not what you can say about every player, e.g. Kaymer not suited to Augusta, Bubba can't get his head around links golf . You would think it's only a matter of time , though like Stenson and Garcia it may take a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd be very surprised if he didn't win one in the next three years.

He's a great putter so you'd imagine that should get him over the line at some stage.

I certainly hope he does anyway, very likeable is Rickie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

His chipping is very good too. He had a baf few holes at the end of day 3 that put him out of real contention this year. I don't think he will win leading after day 3 though. He suits making a bit of a charge from a few shots back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Would be suprised if he was to win one. Always hanging around but the type of player who never gets the job done. Very similar to Lee Westwood. You can always rely on him to mess up when in contention.
    A player I always lay when in contention. Money making machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

He has won the Players Championship. You don't win that if you don't have the game to win a Major.

He's 28. Assuming he stays healthy, maintains form and plays to his late 30's, he has 40 chances to win one. I like those odds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just saw on CNN that the last four major winners all have six letters in their first and last names.

Sergio Garcia
    Brooks Koepka
    Jordan Spieth
    Justin Thomas

Maybe Rickie Fowler will be next.........

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

nc6000 wrote: »
    Just saw on CNN that the last four major winners all have six letters in their first and last names.

Sergio Garcia
    Brooks Koepka
    Jordan Spieth
    Justin Thomas

:rolleyes: busy morning for the stats guys at CNN:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sergio Garcia
    Brooks Koepka
    Jordan Spieth
    Justin Thomas

Rory never had a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't think he has genuinely contended in enough majors. I wouldn't compare him to Lee Westwood who was knocking on the door regularly for a number of years. He seems likeable but harmless enough. More like Ian Poulter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd really like to see him win a major or two, by all accounts he's a really good guy, but I'm not convinced he will. Its harder and harder to have that good week with the competition so strong these days, and if any of the top guys play well, Rickie doesn't beat them.
    Its tricky to know which major he might win, possibly a windy/stormy Open might be his best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Russman wrote: »
    I'd really like to see him win a major or two, by all accounts he's a really good guy, but I'm not convinced he will. Its harder and harder to have that good week with the competition so strong these days, and if any of the top guys play well, Rickie doesn't beat them.
    That sums up my own opinion perfectly. It's so hard to win a Major, as seen by the length of time it took Sergio to finally succeed (I'd given up on him, to be honest).

I remember Butch Harmon being critcial of Fowler (at this year's Masters, I think) for his lack of focus and tendency to hit some rank bad shots which took him out of contention.

In general, it's no surprise that certain players failed to win a Major: Montgomery, for example, simply lacked the bottle when the pressure mounted, and Westwood's short game wasn't good enough.

Then you think of guys like Kite, Couples, Pavin and Love - just one Major each, which proves how tough it is. Toms is another with one, when his great putting might have been expected to bring at least one more.

I hope very much Rickie puts it all together over 72 holes in a Major before too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Sergio Garcia
    Brooks Koepka
    Jordan Spieth
    Justin Thomas

His real name is Rick Fowler so I think hes out of the double 6 letter name gang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

remember Phil didn't win until a major until his 13th year on tour. It aint ever easy! Phil had over 20 pga tour wins at that stage and was 34....plenty of time for Rickie!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Any further thoughts on the Fowler question at the end of another Majorless year?

marbless wrote: »
    Any further thoughts on the Fowler question at the end of another Majorless year?

I'm gone from thinking/hoping he might sneak one at some point, to thinking, no, he'll probably finish up with none (brilliant career notwithstanding).
    I think he needs too many players to have an off week for him to have a real chance. IMO if any of DJ, Koepka, Day, Rory, JT, Speith, Rose turn up and play well, they beat him. And at least one of them almost always plays well.

Hope he does though !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »
    I'm gone from thinking/hoping he might sneak one at some point, to thinking, no, he'll probably finish up with none (brilliant career notwithstanding).
    I think he needs too many players to have an off week for him to have a real chance. IMO if any of DJ, Koepka, Day, Rory, JT, Speith, Rose turn up and play well, they beat him. And at least one of them almost always plays well.

Hope he does though !

What do you reckon he needs? Whats missing from his game?
    Or is it all upstairs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Id imagine if you ran this poll again the result would be entirely different.

I enjoy Rickie but he has not won enough to be talked of in the way that he is.
    He has won 4 times on the pga tour in over 200 starts. But is regularly considered on the same level as Spieth, Thomas, etc... probably just because they are buddies.
    He has plenty time left in his career now but at the moment he is at the same level as a Gary Woodland or Kevin Kisner type. Regularly in contention but rarely wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I've gone from the he definitely will camp to the not a chance side on numerous occasions, usually because anytime I back him he lets me down!
    I actually think he will win a major at some stage but it will come from a final day charge from 4 or 5 shots back as opposed to sleeping on a 54 hole lead or being in the final group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

of course he will.....as long as he don't get rid of me...

GreeBo wrote: »
    What do you reckon he needs? Whats missing from his game?
    Or is it all upstairs....

Honestly, I've no idea. He seems to have all the tools, or at least his game is as good as many major winners, yet you always feel he's not really at the level of a DJ or JT etc. I think his driving can be crooked at times, but there's none of the top guys particularly accurate with the driver anyway.
    He just seems to hit a real bad shot at the worst possible time. I'd love to see him win one, maybe he just needs a bit of luck at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

As I said last year, the American Poulter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

As I said last year, the American Poulter.

I was thinking Paul Casey myself. Capable of winning if he gets in the house an hour before anyone else.
    Fills the trousers if in front to early in the final groups

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Call me foolish but I still believe he can do it.

Was hoping the Masters would fall together for him but shows he's still in contention. He had a poor spell but over the last 8th Majors he has 3 top 5 finishes and his worse result was 28th.

People thought for a long time Garcia would never win one. It's mad to think Rickie is still not 30 years old, but if he can continue his form and it can fall together for him he should win won. Has the talent necessary.

I think he's too talented not to win one, he's still got time on his side so I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

I found it interesting that he's the only automatic qualifier for the US Ryder cup team that hasn't won a major.

NDWC wrote: »
    I think he's too talented not to win one, he's still got time on his side so I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

I found it interesting that he's the only automatic qualifier for the US Ryder cup team that hasn't won a major.

I dont think talent = major

Just ask Monty or Donald

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont think talent = major

Just ask Monty or Donald

Fair point, I just think Rickie's putting is good enough to get him over the line at some point. Then again Donald was an excellent putter too.

NDWC wrote: »
    Fair point, I just think Rickie's putting is good enough to get him over the line at some point. Then again Donald was an excellent putter too.

His short putting is pretty immense, I do wonder how it will last as he gets older though, that style doesnt suit an older guy (especially one searching for a major!)

• Advertisement

Remember the curious case of Phil Mickelson? Somewhat into his thirties before getting over the line, after a legion of near misses. Rickie will eventually make the breakthrough, competition at elite level is plentiful these days.

Advertisement