Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's the 15th of August tonight & the Derry bonfire is being prepared.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

What do you expect, it's the bogside.

You decided to read the article then yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I've got to get into the NI wood pallets scene, must be like printing money.

Definitely not as profitable as the wood pellet scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Was up there earlier, massive fire, hundreds gathered around it, and an air of tension building.
    It lit around 10:45, and the scumbags were throwing glass bottles up over the wall 30mins later.
    Really brave lads, anonymously throwing stones, bottles etc at random people who just happened to be passing by or were just quietly watching the bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Rhyme wrote: »
    Not condoning it at all, it's a disgusting practice, but less of the hypocrisy. Stop all the bonfires and discourage those that disagree.
    I'm a Unionist and I honestly don't care if they burn our flags or symbols. Let them crack on.

Don't fall for this faux pragmatism Rhyme. ALP cares deeply about 'liberty' when it comes to bonfires, and burning flags/symbols, because he knows full well that any ban on such practices would strip away a large part of what his kinfolk would describe as their culture and do very little to them'uns.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This date in 1969 my sister was born. This was also around the time when the Troubles began. We left the North shortly thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This date in 1969 my sister was born. This was also around the time when the Troubles began. We left the North shortly thereafter.

Happy birthday to her

Hope you bought her cake

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LordSutch wrote: »
    From RTE; Traditionally, a bonfire is lit on 15 August in Derry to mark a Catholic feast day celebrating the assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven.

In modern times the fire has become a source of contention and associated with anti-social behaviour.

Many residents in the nationalist Bogside are opposed to the fire, which is built by local youths.

Wonder how many of them building the bonfire know about the original Catholic traditions, and only build it for the modern traditions of acting like an absolute tit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Rhyme wrote: »
    Not condoning it at all, it's a disgusting practice, but less of the hypocrisy. Stop all the bonfires and discourage those that disagree.
    I'm a Unionist and I honestly don't care if they burn our flags or symbols. Let them crack on.

Don't fall for this faux pragmatism Rhyme. ALP cares deeply about 'liberty' when it comes to bonfires, and burning flags/symbols, because he knows full well that any ban on such practices would strip away a large part of what his kinfolk would describe as their culture and do very little to them'uns.
    It's a small part but keep trying. Maybe you want state intervention in everything, I prefer for the state to leave citizens alone as much as possible. By all reports it was just hoods who got carried away burning Union flags and poppies.

I think if they learned about the meaning of the Poppy they wouldn't do it, so education might help on that front. Banning Bonfires is never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Syphonax wrote: »
    They are one in the same thing. and its a disease thats both infected Catholic/Protestant.

Think its obvious what my problem is, I hate scumbags.

Are you really claiming that anyone who attends a bonfire or who participates in an orange parade is automatically a scumbag??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good to hear politicians from the SDLP and SF condemn this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most of the normal members of society who live in the area would have been at the local Feile which was on at the same time.

It was only the scumbags who would have been up at the bonfire, as it attracts scum like sh1t attracts flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They only have the celebration in Derry though, extra special day for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Northern Ireland.
    Not the Republic.

Northern Ireland.
    Not the Republic.

Northern Ireland.
    Not the Republic.

Its an internment reminder.

I would have thought Belfast would have had one too.

Maybe you want state intervention in everything, I prefer for the state to leave citizens alone as much as possible.

Sure you do, except when you want the British state to underwrite the failed statelet in the northeast of Ireland - you literally owe your existence as a unionist to state intervention.
    Banning Bonfires is never going to happen.

They need to be regulated. There should be some sort of permit system that considers the threat to property, persons, and the environment.

While they're at it there should be a requirement for planning permission to put flags on public infrastructure like lamp-posts.

Its NI we are talking about here, no way such sensible ideas will ever work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

What a miserable and backward place Norn Ireland is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You mean compared to the cheerful forward thinking place that the Republic is??

danganabu wrote: »

Comparatively yes. I even heard forward-thinking unionists calling into a London based talk-show saying that they're are beginning to see that a UI could be to their benefit having never even considered it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Yes. Misery, resentment, and small-mindedness seem to part of the dna up there. People weighed down with the result of generations of suspicion and anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Never knew anything about this till I saw this RTE report. A bonfire in honour of 'Our Lady' where the local youf feel compelled to throw stones & petrol bombs at the police!

Another month, another bonfire up North....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2017/0815/897444-derry-bonfire/

Anyone ever heard of this before?

Yes LS, you do. You previously described your intentions to go to an orange march and defended them. Naivety gets old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No more backward than any post conflict society where the key problems that led to the conflict have not yet been resolved.

Two people died in a shooting in Dublin today btw.
    Everywhere has it's problems and issues.

Yes it is. No doubt about that. As Christopher Hitchens says "sectarianism was both the cause and the outcome of the partition of Ireland."

If you partition a state based on religion and dominated by extremists like Carson this is what happens.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    What's your problem ? ALP literally said he has no problem with these bonfires, but you just feel the need to turn it around and focus on the parades ?

You also seem to ignore the fact this is not a Loyalist/Unionist event.

It's a culture of hate. Just like the parades. Needs to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yes LS, you do.

No, I can safely say this bonfire (in honour of our Lady) is one that I had never heard of before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Clever :angel:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Maybe you want state intervention in everything, I prefer for the state to leave citizens alone as much as possible.

Sure you do, except when you want the British state to underwrite the failed statelet in the northeast of Ireland - you literally owe your existence as a unionist to state intervention.
    Banning Bonfires is never going to happen.

They need to be regulated. There should be some sort of permit system that considers the threat to property, persons, and the environment.

While they're at it there should be a requirement for planning permission to put flags on public infrastructure like lamp-posts.
    I owe the British state nothing, my rights are guaranteed in law as a British citizen. In the real world regulation isn't going to happen, the PSNI isn't going to bother putting in the resources to do it.

No, I can safely say this bonfire (in honour of our Lady) is one that I had never heard of before now.

They're all the same. Hate filled guys with nothing better to do.

• Advertisement

I owe the British state nothing, my rights are guaranteed in law as a British citizen. In the real world regulation isn't going to happen, the PSNI isn't going to bother putting in the resources to do it.

Well unless they get rid of the bile on both sides Northern Ireland's economy will be destroyed. Brexit is an economic tidal wave that poorer parts of the UK will be really effected by. It's time to focus on that.

Advertisement