Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's the 15th of August tonight & the Derry bonfire is being prepared.

Options
  • 15-08-2017 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Never knew anything about this till I saw this RTE report. A bonfire in honour of 'Our Lady' where the local youf feel compelled to throw stones & petrol bombs at the police!

Another month, another bonfire up North....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2017/0815/897444-derry-bonfire/

Anyone ever heard of this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I've got to get into the NI wood pallets scene, must be like printing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You cant let religion get in the way of a good riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Red_Wake wrote: »

With a side order of flegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Red_Wake wrote: »

They don't buy the pallets you know?

Wee bastards do more damage stealing them than the the actual cost of them, most places leave them outside the gate, easier in the long run.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

"Community representatives have also expressed concern at the prospect of unionist symbols, such as the Union flag, being burnt on tonight's fire."

...and is there significant objection to tricolour flegs, posters of Sinn Fein politicians and hanged mannequins on the other bonfires?

Not condoning it at all, it's a disgusting practice, but less of the hypocrisy. Stop all the bonfires and discourage those that disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Phew, people have finally stopped posting on the 12th July thread!
    About time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Rhyme wrote: »
    "Community representatives have also expressed concern at the prospect of unionist symbols, such as the Union flag, being burnt on tonight's fire."

...and is there significant objection to tricolour flegs, posters of Sinn Fein politicians and hanged mannequins on the other bonfires?

Not condoning it at all, it's a disgusting practice, but less of the hypocrisy. Stop all the bonfires and discourage those that disagree.
    I'm a Unionist and I honestly don't care if they burn our flags or symbols. Let them crack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

I'm a Unionist and I honestly don't care if they burn our flags or symbols. Let them crack on.

What happens when they want to throw you onto the fire?

These practices, marches and the like only served to keep the flame of hatred burning. What do you honestly get out of all the marching? must be great to be celebrating the deep hatred inside of you that you have for one side of your community?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's special about August 15th? Not that July 12th is anything special mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Bonfires in general appeal to some of societies biggest skangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Isn't this linked to internment's anniversary?

They want to light the fire under a motorway or dual carriageway bridge. What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Scumbags are attracted to bonfires like moths to a flame whether they're Catholic or Protestant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

bear1 wrote: »
    What's special about August 15th? Not that July 12th is anything special mind you.

Catholic holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Isn't this linked to internment's anniversary?

They want to light the fire under a motorway or dual carriageway bridge. What could possibly go wrong?

From RTE; Traditionally, a bonfire is lit on 15 August in Derry to mark a Catholic feast day celebrating the assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven.

In modern times the fire has become a source of contention and associated with anti-social behaviour.

Many residents in the nationalist Bogside are opposed to the fire, which is built by local youths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They don't buy the pallets you know?

Wee bastards do more damage stealing them than the the actual cost of them, most places leave them outside the gate, easier in the long run.

The folks losing out on'em, need replacements surely?

Syphonax wrote: »

What happens when they want to throw you onto the fire?

These practices, marches and the like only served to keep the flame of hatred burning. What do you honestly get out of all the marching? must be great to be celebrating the deep hatred inside of you that you have for one side of your community?
    They can always try. If the Catholic community want to celebrate in whatever way they want I will not object. I believe in individual liberty for the Catholic people and make no apologies for that.

They can always try. If the Catholic community want to celebrate in whatever way they want I will not object. I believe in individual liberty for the Catholic people and make no apologies for that.

Thats what wrong with northerners, you all continue to live in the past and promote hatred towards each other, infact it become something or a national pastime for northern Irish to spew the hatred which you're fostering onto the next generation. Until you let go of these idiotic parades you wont move forward.

Thats what wrong with northerners, you all continue to live in the past and promote hatred towards each other, infact it become something or a national pastime for northern Irish to spew the hatred which you're fostering onto the next generation. Until you let go of these idiotic parades you wont move forward.
    It's not a parade, have you not read the OP? It's a bonfire for a Catholic holiday. Leave them alone.

It's not a parade, have you not read the OP? It's a bonfire for a Catholic holiday. Leave them alone.

I was talking about the Orange parades but its goes for bonfires and whatever other means are at your disposal to keep the hate alive. Must feel great to be consumed by hate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Holy Mary mother of God, pray for me cause Im a Prod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I was talking about the Orange parades but its goes for bonfires and whatever other means are at your disposal to keep the hate alive. Must feel great to be consumed by hate?

What's your problem ? ALP literally said he has no problem with these bonfires, but you just feel the need to turn it around and focus on the parades ?

You also seem to ignore the fact this is not a Loyalist/Unionist event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's the same thing whenever a thread is started about the North, it just becomes a slagging match.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    What's your problem ? ALP literally said he has no problem with these bonfires, but you just feel the need to turn it around and focus on the parades ?

They are one in the same thing. and its a disease thats both infected Catholic/Protestant.

Think its obvious what my problem is, I hate scumbags.

bear1 wrote: »
    It's the same thing whenever a thread is started about the North, it just becomes a slagging match.

Look, grown men and women attend these bonfires, its a rite of passage for young ones and does nothing but keep the vicious circle turning. Its no wonder no one outside of the north takes any of them seriously, they say one thing while their actions show the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Phew, people have finally stopped posting on the 12th July thread!
    About time!

Soon be poppy thread time , probably with a side order of hungerstriking .

Jelle1880 wrote: »

They are one in the same thing. and its a disease thats both infected Catholic/Protestant.

Think its obvious what my problem is, I hate scumbags.
    It's a Catholic holiday, what makes them scumbags? Bizarre thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, it's a nack fest dressed up as a Catholic holiday....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yes I remember the bonfires of my youth in the field.

Lit on the 15th August for the feast of the Assumption. Back when I was younger it was about having fun and a smaller bonfire and roasting marshmallows, then the older ones would take over and use it as an excuse to drink as the younger ones went home.

There were no Union flags or such things on those bonfires but in recent times it has been getting worse and then it moved onto community parties. Only some areas of the city do have bonfires now and last year in the Bog was the worst blocking off a road and causing lots of damage to it.

Did you not read the article? they where attacking the PSNI FFS hardly salt of the earth lads what?

And you had the nerve to claim i I didnt read the opening post pmsl

• Advertisement

Did you not read the article? they where attacking the PSNI FFS hardly salt of the earth lads what?

And you had the nerve to claim i I didnt read the opening post pmsl
    What do you expect, it's the bogside.

Advertisement