Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletes' attire.

Options
  • 14-08-2017 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

In a previous thread, I asked why many sportswomen show their abdomens when they are active in their respective sports.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631423

I was informed that female athletes can wear singlets if they wish.

My question for this OP is:

Why don't athletes - male, and those female ones who don't want to show their abdomens - just wear vests with shorts, which are what many men wear instead of ordinary trousers in hot weather?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

i watch womens rugby cos its hlarious

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's my answer to the question, whatever it was...
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-10025-1342713765-7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Still asking the burning questions I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

osarusan wrote: »
    Still asking the burning questions I see.

It's that kind of political analysis that's made Fox News what it is today, I'll have you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why don't athletes - male, and those female ones who don't want to show their abdomens - just wear vests with shorts, which are what many men wear instead of ordinary trousers in hot weather?

What the actual **** are you on about? Bolt and the lads only wear shorts instead of trousers when the weather's hot? Well I never

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

In a previous thread, I asked why many sportswomen show their abdomens when they are active in their respective sports.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631423

I was informed that female athletes can wear singlets if they wish.

Or maybe athletes should all wear jeans or cords and cardigans or Aran sweaters? I don't understand the question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭political analyst

munster87 wrote: »
    Or maybe athletes should all wear jeans or cords and cardigans or Aran sweaters? I don't understand the question

OK. I'll make it clearer: In my previous thread on the subject, I was told that female athletes who don't want to show their abdomens can wear singlets. But why can they not wear a sports vests instead of sports bras?

fullstop wrote: »
    What the actual **** are you on about? Bolt and the lads only wear shorts instead of trousers when the weather's hot? Well I never

I explained the word "shorts" just in case people didn't realise I was referring to "short trousers". Male athletes always wear shorts with vests when they are taking part in athletics.

munster87 wrote: »

I'll make it clearer.

In my previous thread, I was told that a female athlete who doesn't want to show her abdomen can wear a singlet if she wishes.

My question here is: Why can't she wear a sports vest, instead of a sports bra, with shorts instead of a singlet if she doesn't want to show her abdomen?

I brought up the issue of female athletes showing their abdomens in the first place because I believe that they shouldn't be showing their abdomens due to the risk that women's participation in athletics will be sexualised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Two hours have past and you are still struggling to ask a question. Maybe it's time to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Plus I would guess with a lot of sports, even before and after the actual sport in warming up, there are likely to be situations/positions where the vest would "run up", thereby exposing more than they're willing to expose. For example if an athlete was bending down to tie shoe laces, or touch her toes, or flying up in the air thanks to a javelin.
    Safer to have a purposefully designed brassiere, which tightens in the right places, and will not expose your breasts if you bend down.

http://l450v.alamy.com/450v/g368t8/female-athlete-tying-her-shoe-laces-on-running-track-g368t8.jpg

edit : plus, under-boob sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Zola Budd used to run bare foot.
    Usually winning gold medals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In Ancient Greece, athletes performed their sports in the buff.

Just sayin'...

JupiterKid wrote: »

Just sayin'...

There was occassionally confusion in the relays when they were passing the batton.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Zola Budd used to run bear foot.
    Usually winning gold medals.

Jaysus. No wonder she was fast

bearfoot.jpg

Dam. I tawt I was gud at spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Why am I not surprised that someone who can't string an understandable sentence together also doesn't know why women wear sports bras during athletic activities when they could wear a vest like a man?

Guessing you don't own a pair of breasts, OP?

And maybe if a bare abdomen causes you to become overcome with lust you should move to a Muslim country? Also do you not think those women are proud of their physiques? They won't look like that forever.

Do male outfits in swimming competitions cause you the same concern, since they are LESS covered up than women?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I'll make it clearer.

In my previous thread, I was told that a female athlete who doesn't want to show her abdomen can wear a singlet if she wishes.

My question here is: Why can't she wear a sports vest, instead of a sports bra, with shorts instead of a singlet if she doesn't want to show her abdomen?

I brought up the issue of female athletes showing their abdomens in the first place because I believe that they shouldn't be showing their abdomens due to the risk that women's participation in athletics will be sexualised.

Perhaps they should wear burqas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Are you sure you're a political analyst:rolleyes:

I don't know, maybe as I get older my libido is failing me - but I can usually make it through most track and field events without the need for a cold shower. Sometimes even when Jessica Ennis is running!

These women are athletes - they worked damn hard to get those bodies and besides that, they may not even want to wear snorkel jackets while competing in the 5000m steeplechase

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Two female athletes cover their abdomen....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

JupiterKid wrote: »

Just sayin'...
    The word 'gymnasium' come from the Greek word for 'naked', Γυμνός (gymnos).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would guess it's part tradition, part function.

For any sport where speed is a factor, wind resistance is also a factor. For the most part, conducting these activities in the nip would provide the optimal performance, since fabrics will always catch a certain amount of wind and pull you back.

However for obvious reasons of modesty and things bouncing around when moving, it's prudent to wear a certain level of attire.

The mid section on women is usually hairless, but often shapely. The mid-section on men is usually straight/shapeless and hairy.

Thus, it is difficult for women to get a singlet which properly hugs the figure on the mid-section and doesn't introduce some wind resistance.
    For men, it's much easier to get a properly figure-hugging singlet, and doing so avoids having to shave the stomach area.

Hence women go for the belly top and men for the singlet.

Men can't go topless and shave everything because IAAF competition rules require "non-objectionable" clothing and a uniform approved by each governing body. So every athlete competing for a club or a country must wear the same clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

World championships/London/August 2107.
    Tight Lycra leggings, big bottoms in undersized costumes and men's wobbly bits being thrown from side to side, & not a hint of cellulite to be seen on my 1080i HD TV :-)

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you sure you're a political analyst:rolleyes:

I don't know, maybe as I get older my libido is failing me - but I can usually make it through most track and field events without the need for a cold shower. Sometimes even when Jessica Ennis is running!

These women are athletes - they worked damn hard to get those bodies and besides that, they may not even want to wear snorkel jackets while competing in the 5000m steeplechase

i find that very hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

Men wear belly tops in triathletes sometimes. Its good for ventilation
    462681192_77134fad79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Vests are feckin' sweaty. I bet the blokes wish they didn't have to wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

At the 1997 World Championships in Athens, the then 18-year old suffered the
    "Longest wardrobe malfunction of all time" during a qualifying heat of the 5,000
    metres. Lacking her own gear, Habtemariam asked to borrow another athlete's
    singlet for the race. However, she did not borrow a sports bra. She spent 18
    minutes on the track with one breast perpetually in view. She didn't leave her
    hotel room for the rest of the week.

Just 1 - those things normally come in pairs don't they!
    i find that very hard to believe

Damn it you seen through my waffle. No man can resist Jessica:D

Advertisement