Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

no mention of Salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ITV2 wrote: »
    no mention of Salary?

they mentioned 32000 for drivers i think. will likely be more once any allowences are added up if there are any.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

no mention of Salary?

Seems negotiable on relevant experience. So any of the the training school lads in DB would be able to get a better deal than someone coming in from the likes of ISM.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

no mention of Salary?

they mentioned 32000 for drivers i think. will likely be more once any allowences are added up if there are any.

The way it's advertised is salary for drivers of up to 32000 so ithat seems that's the max amount. It doesn't say 32k plus allowances or benefits and that works out at about €615 per week which is ok but a long way short of dublin bus wages. However I've seen adds for airport hopper and pay rates are €10.50 an hour so I'd say the will get a lot of applications from drivers working for private companies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

soundman45 wrote: »
    The way it's advertised is salary for drivers of up to 32000 so ithat seems that's the max amount. It doesn't say 32k plus allowances or benefits and that works out at about €615 per week which is ok but a long way short of dublin bus wages.

In no job that I have ever got or ever advertised for my department have we ever included additional things like overtime, allowance, bonuses or benefits - because to do so would be misleading as an employees mileage on these things may vary therefore it is best practice not to include these in figures and instead only use figures that are certainly obtainable.

Up to will relate to the base salary which I would say is dependent on experience and service and it's possible that the ones who are being trained up from scratch may start on a lower salary whilst they are being trained for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

SG333 the double decker that was painted in TFI colours is now in Broadstone in DB livery

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

SG 333 was only a test vehicle, its livery may or may not be the final version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Sign in DB Depot, transfer of routes starts in september

They're looking for engineering administrators as well now according to their website.

Believed that existing Dublin Bus drivers who are marked in on the routes to transfer to Go-Ahead are going to be seeking compensation for losing their marked in status.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

devnull wrote: »
    They're looking for engineering administrators as well now according to their website.

Believed that existing Dublin Bus drivers who are marked in on the routes to transfer to Go-Ahead are going to be seeking compensation for losing their marked in status.

They will of course as they will no longer have any type of life as going back spare is totally not on imo.

It's been stated now phase 1 of transfer won't be till December.

Things are not looking good so far.

• Advertisement

It's been stated now phase 1 of transfer won't be till December.

Things are not looking good so far.

Was that from the industrial relations meeting that took place earlier this week? I heard there was going to be one to discuss the timeline but I didn't hear what the outcome was as of yet before your post.

Any reasons given that you can disclose? (appreciate if you can't)

devnull wrote: »
    Was that from the industrial relations meeting that took place earlier this week? I heard there was going to be one to discuss the timeline but I didn't hear what the outcome was as of yet before your post.

Any reasons given that you can disclose? (appreciate if you can't)

I've seen a document but best not post here.

Obviously I can't say 100% as it could well change again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm planning on applying for a driving job with Go-Ahead. I know they'll have their own driving school, but it'll be a few months before they start actively recruiting, so I'm thinking of going ahead (ha-ha) and getting my D licence in advance. It's a bit on the expensive side, but I'm guessing that I might have a better chance of getting the job if I already have the licence and they wouldn't need to invest in putting me through the test. Would I be wasting my time, or does anyone reckon it could be an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm planning on applying for a driving job with Go-Ahead. I know they'll have their own driving school, but it'll be a few months before they start actively recruiting, so I'm thinking of going ahead (ha-ha) and getting my D licence in advance. It's a bit on the expensive side, but I'm guessing that I might have a better chance of getting the job if I already have the licence and they wouldn't need to invest in putting me through the test. Would I be wasting my time, or does anyone reckon it could be an advantage?

Suss it out,do your research and make your own call.
    The Bus/Coach driving scene in Ireland is relatively small,and full of opinions and factions about everything.

Currently,in the Busdriving world,the focus is NOT on an applicants driving skills,but very firmly on their "People" skills....can you intereact with people in a variety of intense or stressful situations and remain calm,focused and professional ?

Most of the large UK Operating groups,and particularly the more successful one's,such as Reading Buses,Lothian,Trent Barton etc now make no bones about either.....Traing a person to actually Drive a bus is no big deal....but ensuring that Driver has effective communication and coping skills in terms of Customer Interaction,is a far more difficult (and expensive!) task.

I would suggest banging in an immediate expression of Interest,followed by a CV.
    I would steer clear of suggestions of merely "wanting to drive a big bus" etc,and focus more on any customer focused experience or volunteer work you might have gained.

Best of luck with the process anyway ! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I've seen a document but best not post here.

Obviously I can't say 100% as it could well change again.

Right for some reason one garage had it as December...
    It's still going ahead from September...

Phase 1 9th September 2018 routes 102,175, 220, 17A, 33A/B

Phase 2 24th October 2018 routes 17, 59, 63, 75, 111, 184, 185, 45A

Phase 3 10th December 2018 18, 76, 76A, 239

Phase 4 24th January 2019 104, 114, 161, 236, 238 & 270

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Definitely do your research as said. Contact them and ask them if its any advantage.

I know two people who got a D licence before they applied to Dublin bus and did not get through. I have the feeling that DB wants to train you to their standard which is high. Maybe Go-Ahead are the same.

Your driving may be assessed as if you are an experienced D driver. Not a guy who just passed his test. Which may put you at a disadvantage. It really does take experience to drive them with confidence.

They will also want to know about any customer service rolls you have had in the past I rekon also. Keeping peeps happy and off twitter is a big thing these days.

Best of luck with it. I love the the job personally. Dispite the daily dramas that unfold each day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Question, since 10% of DB lines are effectively removed, how does this affect Taxsaver holders who sometimes use a number of these bus lines along with the other DB routes?

Question, since 10% of DB lines are effectively removed, how does this affect Taxsaver holders who sometimes use a number of these bus lines along with the other DB routes?

The ticketing and fares on these routes after the change will work the same as before the change - the only thing that will be changing is the operator of the services.

I would expect nearer the time that the tickets will be renamed and rebranded to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd expect the Taxsaver ticket will change from "Dublin Bus" to "City Bus services" - I doubt you'll need a separate ticket for GA routes.

• Advertisement

ALL current tickets and travel products remain valid on the new operators services..

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/all-documents-published/

Bus Market Opening Frequently Asked Questions.

1. When will people see these new-buses on the streets? What is the time line?
    * We have written to Go-Ahead today to indicate to them that they are the preferred bidder and we will be formally sending them a detailed Letter of Intent by the end of August.
    * Go-Ahead is expected to begin operating some of these routes by the end of November 2018 and all routes by February 2019.
    2. Can this new company hike up fares at will?
    * No. The fares will be determined by NTA.
    * The fare structure will be precisely the same as on services provided by Dublin Bus.
    3. Will they take Leap Card / feature in the National Journey Planner / have the RTPI service?
    * Yes, yes and yes.
    4. Can people transfer easily from a Go-Ahead bus to a Dublin Bus – just like they do now between buses?
    * Yes. Journeys will be seamless from that point of view. Season tickets valid on Dublin Bus services will be valid on Go-Ahead services and vice-versa.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They will of course as they will no longer have any type of life as going back spare is totally not on imo.

In this instance I will criticize the unions. It seemed they were so hell on keeping any form of tendering or as they put it 'privatisation' that they were would allow the interests of certain members fall through the cracks. I think there a political element in some of their fight against privatisation that has resulted in their members potentially suffering.

This example is purely fictious now but say for example in London the number 29 bus is operated by Arriva but TFL decides to award the contract to say Metroline when the Arriva contract is up then the marked in Arriva drivers on the 29 have the option to transfer to Metroline with the same t+cs driving the number 29 from a Metroline depot doing more or less the same job with same pay and t+cs just working for a different company and wearing a different uniform. This is all made because of TUPE.

Why can't DB drivers marked in on the tendered out routes move to GAD under DB pay and t+cs just like their London counterparts or maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stephen15 wrote: »

Why can't DB drivers marked in on the tendered out routes move to GAD under DB pay and t+cs just like their London counterparts or maybe I'm missing something.
    TUPE defeats much of the purpose of tendering, especially in a union based enviroment. If you must keep outdated, overly generous and potentially backward t&c's when hiring from a past operator, never mind staff with all sorts of ridiculous expectations, how can you hope to every improve efficiency, costs and provide a better service?
    TUPE is just another crazy union invention to put employees before the actual needs of a business and customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TUPE defeats much of the purpose of tendering, especially in a union based enviroment. If you must keep outdated, overly generous and potentially backward t&c's when hiring from a past operator, never mind staff with all sorts of ridiculous expectations, how can you hope to every improve efficiency, costs and provide a better service?
    TUPE is just another crazy union invention to put employees before the actual needs of a business and customers.

Doesn't seem crazy to me at all. Why wouldn't you fight tooth and nail to protect your terms and conditions of employment? Otherwise it would create a loophole that would be ruthlessly exploited by employers across various industries. In any case, TUPE and its predecessor has existed in EU legislation since 1977. It's nothing new.

If tendering is just going to be fought on a race to the bottom in wages then **** tendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you can very easily provide a better service, as dublin bus have proved compared to the late 90s and early 2000s. terms and conditions have nothing to do with providing a good service. it could be argued that costs and efficientsy, which would most likely be achieved via the eradication of good terms and conditions, could lead to a worse service, as staff morale would go down to the floor.

no it isn't. it is a vital part of the working environment as it protects workers and insures continuity of terms and conditions. the unions didn't invent it or bring it in, the EU thankfully did, for which many workers are greatful.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Interestingly enough,in London,the real Capital of competitively tendered Bus Services,often put forward as THE location to emulate,TfL senior management are having to take decisive action in their attempts to retain Busdrivers,who rather selfishly,continue to leave the industry...with poor pay and increasingly anti-social roster's and rota's, being cited as contributing to the poor retention rates of staff.

http://www.cityam.com/278940/mayor-sadiq-khan-unveils-london-licence-safeguard-pay-bus

http://www.cityam.com/256016/london-mayor-sadiq-khan-brings-minimum-salary-23000

This is but the latest "initiative" of many,which London's governors have had to use,when the "actual needs of employees" were disregarded or cast aside in the crusade for the "actual needs of business".....profit.

With TUPE dating back well into the last Century,and it's genus being within the EU's own administrative framework,it is surely somewhat questionable,to label it a "Crazy Union Invention" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

New up-close shots of the new double decker livery (including the Wrightbus Depot shots) are now up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/38863760440/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/38875928950/in/faves-91538517@N02/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/40691139831/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/39779584825/

Some new info coming from the Flickr comments has been available about ordering buses for Go Ahead.

The number of buses to be transferred from Dublin Bus to Go Ahead will be up an additional 16 buses. This increases the current number of buses from 60 to 76. This means that less new double decker buses will be ordered this year with 24 of them intended for Go Ahead.

The number of new streetlites though will remain unchanged at 25 buses.

8 double deckers & 4 streetlites have been made from Wrights so far at the moment. They must be building some of them in advance to allow new recruits drive the buses to provide them training from this summer. New block pattern seat covers have been made & included in 1 of the photos showing the Go Ahead double deckers before they put out on the road to Dublin. They look nice although a more clearer view is needed from the photograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

New up-close shots of the new double decker livery (including the Wrightbus Depot shots) are now up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/38863760440/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/38875928950/in/faves-91538517@N02/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/40691139831/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81709772@N07/39779584825/

Some new info coming from the Flickr comments has been available about ordering buses for Go Ahead.

The number of buses to be transferred from Dublin Bus to Go Ahead will be up an additional 16 buses. This increases the current number of buses from 60 to 76. This means that less new double decker buses will be ordered this year with 24 of them intended for Go Ahead.

The number of new streetlites though will remain unchanged at 25 buses.

8 double deckers & 4 streetlites have been made from Wrights so far at the moment. They must be building some of them in advance to allow new recruits drive the buses to provide them training from this summer. New block pattern seat covers have been made & included in 1 of the photos showing the Go Ahead double deckers before they put out on the road to Dublin. They look nice although a more clearer view is needed from the photograph.

I noticed they don't have have yellow grab rails. I thought that was a requirement for all buses and trains for the last 10 or so years to facilitate visually impaired passengers also am I right in saying that these buses have a different seat pattern than a DB vehicle.

Driver training wise I would say they would buy some old UK buses from ensignbus, something old from London or even something being withdrawn by DB to train up C licence holders. I doubt they'd let someone who's never driven bus before loose on a brand new SG.

Go ahead wouldn't have to buy any bus though.

These are all paid for by us tax payer fools and letting a multi national in to make even more profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I noticed they don't have have yellow grab rails. I thought that was a requirement for all buses and trains for the last 10 or so years to facilitate visually impaired passengers also am I right in saying that these buses have a different seat pattern than a DB vehicle.

Driver training wise I would say they would buy some old UK buses from ensignbus, something old from London or even something being withdrawn by DB to train up C licence holders. I doubt they'd let someone who's never driven bus before loose on a brand new SG.

They might be putting them into storage in Broadstone as a storage facility & then transferred to Ballymount until they begin Phase 1 of their routes from September. I did notice however a Dublin Bus fare signage notice on the front side window from one of the photographs.

Advertisement