Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Qrt wrote: »
    Are the NTA buying these single deckers for use on the future O route? I feel that would be a contributing factor.

There is talk that the O route may be operated by bendybuses I believe which makes sense if the proper infrastructure is put in place to allow all doors to be used and there's proper segregation with cyclists. I'd say something a bit different will be needed if and when it starts running either bendybuses or large continental style three door single deck buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

A2000 wrote: »
    Got 13.00 76 from tallaght today. Busy but not full. Took 10 mins to exit square at the institute. 55 mins to liffey valley. 1hr 2 mins to gala ballyfermot. Very slow. There was someone from go ahead in hi vis helping people on and off with prams and advising the driver. Hope the journey times improve as this was off peak.

The guy in the high vis would of being a mentor shown the other driver where to go..anyways you will all want to get use to the driver going slow cause if hes ahead of time he Will be told to by the controllers to slow fown or wait at the next stop and I for one rather go slow than pull into a stop for 5 minutes or maybe the person is new to the industry and is nervous give the driver's a bloody chance

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

ax586 wrote: »
    The guy in the high vis would of being a mentor shown the other driver where to go..anyways you will all want to get use to the driver going slow because if he's ahead of time he will slow and it beats pulling into every stop and waiting

67 mins on a running time of 52 puts him around 15 mins late

The guy in the high vis would of being a mentor shown the other driver where to go..anyways you will all want to get use to the driver going slow cause if hes ahead of time he Will be told to by the controllers to slow fown or wait at the next stop and I for one rather go slow than pull into a stop for 5 minutes or maybe the person is new to the industry and is nervous give the driver's a bloody chance

One I have noticed on GAI buses is the two way radio doesn't seem to be used by the controllers as much as on DB. I don't I've actually heard the two way radio going off in the drivers cab and the muffled sound of the controllers going on about some diversion or something or other on GAI bus.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    One I have noticed on GAI buses is the two way radio doesn't seem to be used by the controllers as much as on DB. I don't I've actually heard the two way radio going off in the drivers cab and the muffled sound of the controllers going on about some diversion or something or other on GAI bus.

Its mostly done by txt on the avl driver can see it when the bus comes to a stop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

devnull wrote: »
    I'm a little confused.

Here you seem to suggest that a bus that left 40 minutes after yours caught you up.

But here you state that the bus journey only took 35 minutes.

Reason being if your trip took 35 minutes it wouldn't be possible for the bus that left 40 minutes after yours to catch you up because your journey was complete before it would have left where you initially got on.

This would be possible however if they were running extra departures on route 18 for the match, which some people have told us did not happen. Seems they may be wrong from what you are saying.

It is possible. Search for "BFI number 9 london bus" on YouTube. Its were the old joke about waiting an hour for a bus and 3 turn up at once comes from!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

Any word on when Go ahead are taking over the bus Eireann routes into Kildare?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Any word on when Go ahead are taking over the bus Eireann routes into Kildare?

Rumoured to be November but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd say it'll be after things have bedded in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

NTA is in charge rtpi unfortunately GAI wanted to take control of there routes just like Dublin bus does sure GAI are not allowed to have there own app like DB ridiculous

It's hard to argue with the NTA's decision on this. Having a single brand with a single app is far better from a customers point of view.

The issues with the NTA app (especially about short workings) definitely need to be fixed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rumoured to be November but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd say it'll be after things have bedded in with them.

Got an email from them saying it will be mid August now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

markpb wrote: »
    It's hard to argue with the NTA's decision on this. Having a single brand with a single app is far better from a customers point of view.

The issues with the NTA app (especially about short workings) definitely need to be fixed though!

Wasn’t there a tender recently for a new leap system? I think an app was part of that too, could be wrong though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Doubt it. Leap and rtpi are 2 separate areas. Theres no point in combining the 2, as the requirements for leap app, will cut down the user base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone reckon Go Ahead may try to take over some BE routes in Cork City?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

RTPI is having a software upgrade tomorrow.
    Anyone reckon Go Ahead may try to take over some BE routes in Cork City?

They can't they're not up for tender.

This just strikes as extremely poor planning from the NTA. By the looks of things GAI warned the NTA a couple of months ago that they would need extra buses in order to fulfill all the routes they were awarded in the tender.

So the NTA decided to delay the transfer of the 18 and 76/a and diverted 8 buses from DB to GAI however GAI are still waiting on 4 of the 8 buses meaning they don't have the required amount of buses needed to fulfill the tender. This is daft why were the 4 buses delayed were there delays in Wrights if so then how come DB have now received a further 10 buses since why weren't these diverted to GAI and the delayed ones given to DB as fleet replacements.

This just strikes as extremely poor planning from the NTA. By the looks of things GAI warned the NTA a couple of months ago that they would need extra buses in order to fulfill all the routes they were awarded in the tender.

So the NTA decided to delay the transfer of the 18 and 76/a and diverted 8 buses from DB to GAI however GAI are still waiting on 4 of the 8 buses meaning they don't have the required amount of buses needed to fulfill the tender. This is daft why were the 4 buses delayed were there delays in Wrights if so then how come DB have now received a further 10 buses since why weren't these diverted to GAI and the delayed ones given to DB as fleet replacements.

Or Stephen why did the NTA not let GAI bring there own buses in from the start we wouldn't be in this mess and would of being New buses by the way.but they said no

devnull wrote: »
    RTPI is having a software upgrade tomorrow.

They can't they're not up for tender.

I thought BE's contract was expiring soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Ah Go Ahead. Connecting people with places. I bet the commuters of Kildare cannot wait for the circus to roll into town.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Ah Go Ahead. Connecting people with places. I bet the commuters of Kildare cannot wait for the circus to roll into town.

I'd imagine anything is better than Bus Eireann....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I thought BE's contract was expiring soon?

New PSO Contract from Dec this year.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Report_on_Direct_Award_Contract_to_Bus_Eireann_in_2019-1.pdf

The original 10% of routes to be competitively tendered in 2021 has been reduced to 5%.
    Conclusion : The Authority approved the proposal set out in the Consultation Paper but reduced the number of routes to be competitively tendered which equates to about 5% of Bus Éireann’s services.

And the winner will recieve....
    Bus services which will only remain within the Direct Award Contract until end 2021 and which will be competitively tendered and thereafter removed from the Direct Award and provided under a separate contract by end 2021 Table A2:Routes for Competitive Tendering, for operation by successful tenderer in 2021 Dublin Commuter (Coastal and Wexford West Wicklow) 101 Dublin –Dublin Airport -Balbriggan -Drogheda 101X Wilton Tce -Drogheda -Termon Abbey 133 Dublin Airport –Dublin city centre -Ashford – Wicklow - Gorey

These are additional to the Kildare corridor routes currently awaiting handover to GAI later this year. (Pending delivery of new vehicles)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Since when has 133 gone to Gorey?

Or will this be an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

Wasn’t there a tender recently for a new leap system? I think an app was part of that too, could be wrong though...

The Leap - Operate tender is either getting started or ongoing (can't remember which), one is the mobile ticketing tender (recently awarded to Cubic) and I'm sure there are more.

Since when has 133 gone to Gorey?

Or will this be an extension.

I think a few a day go there

One thing I do not understand is why the 17, 18, 45a and 76 were all given frequency increases to every 20 mins M-F between the peaks but the 75 got no increase the whole time despite it being busier than all of the routes mentioned.

One thing I do not understand is why the 17, 18, 45a and 76 were all given frequency increases to every 20 mins M-F between the peaks but the 75 got no increase the whole time despite it being busier than all of the routes mentioned.

Probably the introduction of the 175, I imagine its taken a lot of heat off the 75 for Tallaght - Dundrum commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Where things potentially began to diverge was the JJ Kavanagh Route 139 process which went through in early 2018.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/new-139-bus-service-linking-naas-blanchardstown-begins-operation-12th-march/

The only information available for the JJK 139 contract is via references in passing....

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Agreed_Minutes_of_Oct_2017_Board_Meeting.pdf

October 2017......

The 139 PSO contract appears therefore to be the first departure from the accepted norms of the previous Tendered PSO contracts.

Alek, you will be pleased to know the NTA have begun publishing some PSO contracts starting with the 139 contract.

Despite being signed several years beforehand they have also published the Routes 817, 828 and 975 contracts.

817-Bernard Kavanagh
    828 - M&A Coaches
    975 - Whartons

You never know, perhaps you may get the GA contract (albeit redacted) you so desperately crave.

Probably the introduction of the 175, I imagine its taken a lot of heat off the 75 for Tallaght - Dundrum commuters.

It's still a busy route though I would say enough to warrant a 20 minute weekday frequency between peaks as it's certainly as well used still as many of the routes that got an increase. The 175 frequency should also be higher at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

GM228 wrote: »
    Alek, you will be pleased to know the NTA have begun publishing some PSO contracts starting with the 139 contract.

Despite being signed several years beforehand they have also published the Routes 817, 828 and 975 contracts.

817-Bernard Kavanagh
    828 - M&A Coaches
    975 - Whartons

You never know, perhaps you may get the GA contract (albeit redacted) you so desperately crave.

It's not a craving....but it is (and always was) an inevitability....it's was as plain as a boil on the nose,that there never was any remotely viable reason for non disclosure of the Contractual Requirements of the GAI Contract.

The Public perception of having to drag,even the most basic,details of a PUBLIC service contract from the writhing carcass of a PUBLIC body was never going to allow the NTA to slither away from this.

Perhaps they've got some good PR advice at long last ?

I wonder if I can get an autographed copy :D ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The 175 frequency should also be higher at weekends.

Agreed, hourly on Saturdays is shocking.

• Advertisement

It's still a busy route though I would say enough to warrant a 20 minute weekday frequency between peaks as it's certainly as well used still as many of the routes that got an increase. The 175 frequency should also be higher at weekends.

And where are you going to pull the buses out of for that there struggling to keep the service's they have at the minute with the buses the have...today I was in the garage around 2 and there was only 5 spare buses in there in case there was a breakdown and buses coming of there duty but going straight back out onto another one ...

Advertisement