Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair call for curb on pre-flight drinking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Beefy78 wrote: »
    From the article:

I noticed T2 at Dublin is now selling two pint steins of beer. That doesn't seem like a great idea.
    425249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Last time I was in Heathrow there was a drunk passenger - not too bad, he could walk and talk - he was denied boarding. Airlines have the right to prevent drunks from boarding.

All Ryanair has to do is pick one drunk per departure, say the drunkest one of a group, refuse to board him (or her) or just offload them and then bar them forever. A group will soon get the message. Drunk pal can sober up and get the next flight out if he or she can find a carrier willing to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I don't think it's the level of intoxication that bothers them more where they buy the booze If they were to stop selling beer on board I'd support them but they won't

Was recently on a flight to Germany and a group of lads were pissed up getting on and loud and obnoxious to the point other passengers around them moved to other empty seats before take off and they were served alcohol on board they got worse and worse and police were called when we landed

2 and a half hours without alcohol will sober most people up to a point of self awareness but they fed the problem with over priced alcohol sold to a bunch of people obviously drunk guys

So in short sort your own problems out before looking at taking money out of any business paying a premium to operate in airports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I love an airport pint so I hope they don't stop serving until 10am. That said I noticed T2 at Dublin is now selling two pint steins of beer. That doesn't seem like a great idea.

I'm just wondering where they managed to buy 1136 ml Glasses.

Or did an Irish Pint change to 500 ml with the UK still having 568 ml ?

:confused:

On the continent many Irish bars sell 400 ml 'pints'

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I had a choice is ban alcohol on all flights as well as limiting it at the airport.
    How does someone whose drunk handle themselves in the event of an inflight emergency or evacuation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nothing worse on a flight than a group of pissheads engaging in "banter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

seamus wrote: »
    Before you do anything, you should assert whether this is an actual problem.

People getting gee-eyed pre flight is not something I've seen much, if any, of. Most people turn up 30-60 minutes before a flight, which doesn't leave a lot of time for getting hammered.

Taking a lot of RyanAir flights from Prestwick to Alicante or Manchester to Ibiza?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If they'd stick to bantering among themselves it wouldn't be too bad.

It's the trying to jolly the whole bloody plane along with them (when some of them are just trying to catch up on missed sleep), thinking they're the wittiest thing since.... well I dunno really.... digging their poor neighbours in the ribs cos they won't join in the bantz, roaring and shouting and trying to start a stupid sing-song for the whole flight..... :mad:

It's the poor flight staff I feel REALLY sorry for, having to actually engage with them

(Can you tell I didn't really enjoy my last flight to Ibiza?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Getting a train out of Dublin of a Friday afternoon and it being full of lads heading somewhere for a stag, slabs of cans on the tables, roaring at each other, reeking of cigarettes Everytime the train stops and they run outside... And not even the gentle rumble of a jet engine to drown them out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭recyclops

i was on a long haul back in the day from dublin to new york (the one that used to stop in shannon) a person was ejected on the pilots request as a number of customrs had complained in the 30 mins it took to get to shannon.

was seated 4 rows behind and the stench of stale booze of him was horrific. The real issue here is what will the people post on their obligatory airport check in now they cannot take a picture of a pint

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gizmo81 wrote: »

It was a flight from newcastle to alicante, what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

sounds like a good idea

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

TheDoc wrote: »
    If I'm honest I've never fully understood that sort of behaviour, getting pissed before a flight. I've been on stags, weekends away, trips with lads for a week, loads of differing types of scenarios that involved a plane. And I've just never subscribed to "party starts before the flight".

Like there is just an issue there if you can't wait until after your flight to get the drinks in. Have I had a drink before a flight? Sure I have, loads of times. but I've never felt the need or seen the point of getting pissed before my flight.

It's ridiculous carry on to be fair and considering the increased security and just generally tension that goes on in airports know, I think you're just being a twat if your getting sauced before a flight.

Not to mention the wait to use the Jacks once on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

seamus wrote: »
    Before you do anything, you should assert whether this is an actual problem.

Ryanair love being in the news.

What percentage of Ryanair flights have had security incidents on them due to passengers being intoxicated before take off?

Identify whether a problem exists before we start proposing solutions to it.

People getting gee-eyed pre flight is not something I've seen much, if any, of. Most people turn up 30-60 minutes before a flight, which doesn't leave a lot of time for getting hammered.
    Jaysus lads, it's a publicity stunt.

Anyone remember "pay to piss".........

I'm surprised only 2 people in the thread have copped on that it's a publicity stunt. Paying to use the toilet and standing areas on planes were other things people got their knickers in a twist over.

Here's a quote from Michael O'Leary which pretty much means you can close the thread
    Do you think the Ryanair brand can survive on publicity stunts and press coverage alone?

O'Leary: Well I have 29 years of evidence suggesting that it can. [Richard] Branson has been doing it for years.
    As long you run around generating noise, which is now easier because you’ve got all these halfwits on social media ranting and raving, inventing stories, it drives people on to our website. And we don’t spend €50m or €100m on marketing companies to do it.

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/ryanairs-michael-oleary-short-committing-murder-bad-publicity-sells-seats/1193681#7lTZF3pzrLhf68dl.99

There you go, we're all halfwits.

Advertisement