Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair call for curb on pre-flight drinking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Keep the punters thirsty until they are onboard and then flog them sachets of vodka and wine from plastic bottles. Kerching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The airport bars make the profits

Presumably Ryanair sell alcohol on their flights at a massive loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Boooo to this. Getting locked before a flight is mad craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Can of Worms

https://www.her.ie/life/dublin-airport-has-responded-to-the-controversy-about-boarding-cards-and-vat-249728

The only information that is tracked is the item purchased, the airline, and the destination in question. We do not record any personal information in relation to passengers.

It is policy in our stores to ask that passengers present their boarding car when making a purchase, however if any passenger buying a non duty free product and does not wish to provide this information, we will still make the sale.

So if they want to start tracking People personal purchases on Duty Paid Items, that's a Data Protection issue.

And do they start checking ID now as well to make sure its the correct one ? What happens when you buy a round of drinks ? You all have to go up and show your ID + boarding pass for each individual drink ?

200_s.gif

I could see it now, 12 year old denied boarding due to consumption of 25 pints of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just breathalyse people before they get on board, if they dont pass a reasonable level then tough you aint flying.
    Its called personal responsibility, no need to ruin the fun for everyone else cus a couple of morons are incapable of not drinking too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just breathalyse people before they get on board, if they dont pass a reasonable level then tough you aint flying.
    Its called personal responsibility, no need to ruin the fun for everyone else cus a couple of morons are incapable of not drinking too much

Then loads of people will just stop flying with them and other operators will benefit.

Ironic really, given RA's incessant mantra of giving Joe Punter what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If I'm honest I've never fully understood that sort of behaviour, getting pissed before a flight. I've been on stags, weekends away, trips with lads for a week, loads of differing types of scenarios that involved a plane. And I've just never subscribed to "party starts before the flight".

Like there is just an issue there if you can't wait until after your flight to get the drinks in. Have I had a drink before a flight? Sure I have, loads of times. but I've never felt the need or seen the point of getting pissed before my flight.

It's ridiculous carry on to be fair and considering the increased security and just generally tension that goes on in airports know, I think you're just being a twat if your getting sauced before a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Where do you set the level though. If I drank 5 pints I'd be ghee-eyed and staggering but others you'd barely even notice. Shame to punish everyone for the misdeeds of a few. How about crates at the boarding gate? yes of course you can travel sir/madam but if you want to act like an animal you'll have to travel with them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

This will never take off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Flying has gone to the dogs.

Drive onto the ferry, sit into the bar, have a few pints, get chatting to some crazy lady with a birds nest in her hair, sleep off the drink & drive off. Much better craic. No big brother, no endless rules, no cattle crush for humans, no queuing, nobody looking through your stuff, no nudie scanners, no wet behind the ears security staff accusing you of being a terrorist because he wants to make a name for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Before you do anything, you should assert whether this is an actual problem.

Ryanair love being in the news.

What percentage of Ryanair flights have had security incidents on them due to passengers being intoxicated before take off?

Identify whether a problem exists before we start proposing solutions to it.

People getting gee-eyed pre flight is not something I've seen much, if any, of. Most people turn up 30-60 minutes before a flight, which doesn't leave a lot of time for getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read an article this morning where cabin crew from another airline say they quite often find empty litre bottles of vodka on the plane during cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe those are left behind by the pilots :)
    I've seen lads passing a bottle of water between them and getting increasingly happier. How do you fight this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

seamus wrote: »
    Before you do anything, you should assert whether this is an actual problem.

Ryanair love being in the news.

What percentage of Ryanair flights have had security incidents on them due to passengers being intoxicated before take off?

Identify whether a problem exists before we start proposing solutions to it.

People getting gee-eyed pre flight is not something I've seen much, if any, of. Most people turn up 30-60 minutes before a flight, which doesn't leave a lot of time for getting hammered.

I don't travel as much anymore but there was a time I was travelling regularly for work and they were hardly party destinations, but it was just so common to see especially in first class.

It wasn't so much a group of lads acting the bollox, sure, that happens on certain flights and has happened for as long as I've been on planes, but I think more seedy and disturbing and unacceptable is the behaviour outlined in the original programme.

Business men getting juiced before a flight and getting lose with their hands and behaviour to female airline staff. Say it all the time and happy that I didn't sit by idly letting it pass. There is a level of entitlement and boldness in some people that knows no bounds or common etiquette and behaviour.

A frequent flight I would do was to Brussels and I'd be on a relatively dead and empty flight out, but a pretty busy flight back where a lot of passengers, who would be flying as part representation of various Government departments, were acting in wholly inappropriate fashion and I always saw it as a disgrace considering it wasn't difficult identifying these people. Maybe I was being a sap at the time but I was young and flying to meet clients and conducted myself as representing my company at every stage, obviously some people just don't have those sort of standards of ethics.

I definitly would put it down to just "lads on tour" stereotypes. Sure that happens and it can be a pain, but to be honest sometimes very enjoyable and good craic and can be in good spirits.

It's the seedy crass behaviour towards airline staff when under the influence that always annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ryanair and LCCs are probably the worst impacted by Danno and the lads having 12 pints before they head to Santa Ponsa.

Being stuck in a tube with 180 other feckers is rough enough as it is without them being hammered, I'd be all in favour of a complete booze ban for short haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Cant believe it but for once I kindof agree with Ryanair...nothing worse than a hammered fool on a flight. And if someone is a nervous flyer a drunk causing hassle wont help them either
    Ive no objection to someone having a drink before hand or a drink on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jaysus lads, it's a publicity stunt.

Anyone remember "pay to piss".........

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Seems not unreasonable.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rise-in-passenger-arrests-prompts-ryanair-call-for-curb-on-pre-flight-drinking-802002.html
    "It's completely unfair that airports can profit from the unlimited sale of alcohol to passengers and leave the airlines to deal with the safety consequences," said Kenny Jacobs, chief marketing officer at Ryanair.

The airport bars make the profits, where the airlines and air hostesses deal with the hassle of drunk passengers.

Sounds rational to me.

To respond to a few points raised by subsequent posters:

I couldn’t care less why Ryanair is proposing this. Neither is it relevant to me that I don’t do it myself and do not understand those who do. The point is that this is a genuine safety issue, as anyone who has been following the news over the past year or so is aware. I’m in favour of the proposed airport-wide limit of a certain number of drinks per boarding pass. And I couldn’t care less who makes or loses money from it.
    While the breath-test proposal seems rational at first blush, I don’t see it being practical. People would show up drunk and would need to be tested, some who fail would protest, all of which would delay boarding. Flights wouldn’t leave on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Alcohol is the only reason I can get on those flying death tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Ryanair in particular have a cheek criticising airports for flogging booze to passengers. Their entire business model is based on squeezing small regional airports to the point that they are paying Ryanair to host their flights. The airports are left with flogging stuff and car parking to generate revenue.

BTW there is a BBC programme about this on tonight, presumably that is linked to this PR.

Anything crappy involving flying that Ryanair can claim to not be their fault is worthy of a front page banner in their world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ryanair in particular have a cheek criticising airports for flogging booze to passengers. Their entire business model is based on squeezing small regional airports to the point that they are paying Ryanair to host their flights. The airports are left with flogging stuff and car parking to generate revenue.

BTW there is a BBC programme about this on tonight, presumably that is linked to this PR.

Anything crappy involving flying that Ryanair can claim to not be their fault is worthy of a front page banner in their world.

OK. Forget Ryanair for the moment.

Are you denying that drunken passengers are a problem? If you are, then fair enough. But if you admit that it’s a problem for all airlines then why does it matter which one proposes a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Here's a link to the guardian story.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/aug/14/ive-been-sworn-at-vomited-on-and-touched-inappropriately-by-drunken-passengers
    According to tonight’s Panorama programme there have been 387 arrests for drunken air behaviour in the last year, a rise of 50%. The numbers may well be much higher says a former flight attendant
    The worst thing I’ve seen is a passenger who mixed medication and alcohol – he thought we were trapping him and tried to open the plane door. It’s not actually possible but he scared a lot of people and he was restrained. In the morning, he had no recollection.

My colleagues have experienced passengers urinating on people, performing public sexual activities and inflicting physical bodily harm. It is not acceptable and the time has come for the law to be enforced. With just 387 passengers arrested for drunken behaviour in the year to February 2017, yet 90% of crew saying they deal with such incidents, something doesn’t add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Academic wrote: »
    OK. Forget Ryanair for the moment.

Are you denying that drunken passengers are a problem? If you are, then fair enough. But if you admit that it’s a problem for all airlines then why does it matter which one proposes a solution?

There's already laws in place to deal with drunks, just use them instead of making up new ones. This again is another punish the majority instead of dealing with the problem plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The simple solution is for ICAO to add any offenders to a blacklist. No more holidays for the rest of your life. People will pipe down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Slightly O/T, but - don't Ryanair already operate a dry flight from Glasgow to Ibiza (or somewhere party-centralish in Spain)?

Or is that just an urban myth?

ETA - not my imagination after all https://www.rt.com/uk/247453-ryanair-bans-alcohol-ibiza/ (can't vouch for the reliability of that website though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

you are all being trolled by Michael O'Leary. File this away with paying to use the toilets, stand up only flights, single pilot planes, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

TheDoc wrote: »
    If I'm honest I've never fully understood that sort of behaviour, getting pissed before a flight. I've been on stags, weekends away, trips with lads for a week, loads of differing types of scenarios that involved a plane. And I've just never subscribed to "party starts before the flight".

Like there is just an issue there if you can't wait until after your flight to get the drinks in. Have I had a drink before a flight? Sure I have, loads of times. but I've never felt the need or seen the point of getting pissed before my flight.

It's ridiculous carry on to be fair and considering the increased security and just generally tension that goes on in airports know, I think you're just being a twat if your getting sauced before a flight.

I enjoy an airport pint (or two) but leave it at that because I hate going to the toilet on planes.
    Also the drink is usually cheaper at your destination (unless it's Norway!) so I'll wait until then to get bladdered.

Loud drunk people on a flight are really annoying, far worse than screaming babies (they can't help it in fairness).

I was delayed in Krakow airport a few years ago and there was a loud drunk Cork Norrie woman with her two teenage children, they were also drunk. Just my luck, they ended up sitting next to me.... the flight attendant took the cans they'd bought in the terminal from them, and the mother fell asleep on me. When we were landing in Cork, the daughter had passed out across her mother's lap with her seat belt off, the flight attendant had a terrible job waking her up to put her belt on for landing and clip her tray table up....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

From the article:
    "The airline has already banned customers from drinking duty-free alcohol on flights and stopped people flying from Glasgow Prestwick and Manchester to Alicante and Ibiza from bringing it on board the aircraft at all."

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to open/drink duty free booze on board. It's certainly illegal in America and I'd think it is here too.

I love an airport pint so I hope they don't stop serving until 10am. That said I noticed T2 at Dublin is now selling two pint steins of beer. That doesn't seem like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Beefy78 wrote: »
    From the article:
    "The airline has already banned customers from drinking duty-free alcohol on flights and stopped people flying from Glasgow Prestwick and Manchester to Alicante and Ibiza from bringing it on board the aircraft at all."

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to open/drink duty free booze on board. It's certainly illegal in America and I'd think it is here too.

I love an airport pint so I hope they don't stop serving until 10am. That said I noticed T2 at Dublin is now selling two pint steins of beer. That doesn't seem like a great idea.

I agree. the beer is usually flat and warm by the time you get to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Beefy78 wrote: »

yes it is....but the aticle indicates how difficult it si if lots of people simply ignore that and drink duty free onboard- whole bottles of spirits!

To the extent that Ryanair have had to force people to put it in the hold

Advertisement