Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a particular type of woman whoes best friend is her daughter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm very close to my Mother. She had me when she was in her early 20's, so she's still quite young. We go on holidays together a lot. We are going to Italy for a 10 day holiday together in a few weeks. Just the two of us! We live about an hour away from each other but talk on the phone everyday.

She also brought my brother and I up as a single parent, so maybe that's another reason why I'm close to her. At the same time though we wouldn't act overly close around each other. I'd say the last time I've hugged her was when I was a child. We are just aren't a very huggy family though. I don't know what I'd do without her really! She's also very close to her Mother.

On the note of parents trying to be "cool" my Mother was a lot cooler than me when she was in her 40's compared to when I was in my teens. Going to music festivals etc. But that's just the way she's always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a peculiar relationship between Donegal women and their fathers. They're all called 'Daaaaddy', no matter how old the daughter is and they all seem to be looked after by the daughters almost like a second wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    Of course some parents in their 40s or even 50s try to be down with the kids. And that's just extra pathetic.

Up yours seamus, I'm down with all the cool kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the female equivalent of men who buy their kids scramblers and quads even though they live in a housing estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Candie wrote: »
    I'm friends with my mother, and I'd say my granny is one of my best friends. So is my grandfather for what it's worth. One of the best holidays I've ever had was a road trip with my dad. I never knew they were just denying their age and trying to hang onto their youth, though. I just thought they liked hanging out with me. Boy, is my face red.

All this time I thought we were enjoying a good relationship and it turns out they're just using me to feel relevant.

Never talking to any of them again. :(

I spent 6 weeks travelling around NZ with my mother a few years ago and it was absolutely great - we like similar sorts of things and have very much the same sense of humour so it worked out really well.

Except for the last week, by then I was sick of the sight of her and I suspect she felt very much the same :p.

It is a bit sad that there are so many posters who think having a close, friendly relationship with one or both parents is weird :(

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    I spent 6 weeks travelling around NZ with my mother a few years ago and it was absolutely great - we like similar sorts of things and have very much the same sense of humour so it worked out really well.

Except for the last week, by then I was sick of the sight of her and I suspect she felt very much the same :p.

I had a friend who reacted with disbelief when I told him I was going on holiday with my dad. It was pathetic, he was trying to be cool, I was a sad excuse of a young person, and he'd be bored to death hanging with old people etc., etc. Triple that derision when I took my Gran away.

He now has a toddler son, and told me he often thought of saying that to me because he knows now that if his son grows up and still wants to go on holiday with him, he'll definitely have done something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's a peculiar relationship between Donegal women and their fathers. They're all called 'Daaaaddy', no matter how old the daughter is and they all seem to be looked after by the daughters almost like a second wife.

I don't know any Donegal women but a friend who's American has a weird relationship with her father. ''I'm going for some daddy lurve'' and ''daddy's little princess'' at almost 30 years of age.

I think mothers and daughters are normally good friends. Maybe pub crawling with your adult daughter is taking t too far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

"whoes"....

Yer all whoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'd go with it if there was the chance of a mother daughter threesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

kupus wrote: »
    A woman who wants her daughter to be her best friend imo is a fcukin eijit.

It is your job to be a mother, not a friend.

Its ok later on in life when kid becomes adult, until then its a no from me.
    Is the latter not what's being referred to though?

I don't think it's a good idea for people to have a parent as a friend in lieu of a peer friend, but a friendship between an adult and their parent is totally standard surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd consider my daughter a friend. We do the kind of things friends do, shopping, lunch, the odd pint, concerts etc. She's an adult so I'm hardly going to be taking her to the playground am I and I think it's important to stay connected to your children as they grow. I don't have a close relationship with my own mother so that's part of it too, I want better for my children. So OP, what type of person does that make me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm I dunno. I think it's great and the preferred situation if you have a good relationship with your child where they are comfortable coming to you with questions, problems and so on.. but there should always be a line at the same time when they're growing up.

An ex of mine fitted the description of wanting to be friends with her young daughter and it caused no end of trouble between them sometimes because basically the kid never knew where the line was. We were all living together at the time and I still remember a conversation with both of them where she (the child) actually said she preferred my style because at least she knew what was allowed and what wasn't.

Of course, once they get into later teenage years/adulthood, the parent should step back into more of an advisory role as said above.

Advertisement