Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a particular type of woman whoes best friend is her daughter?

Options
  • 14-08-2017 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I've noticed this a lot in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's an Irish mammy after her son has left the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If that's the case, study mom well because daughter will become her.

I don't care who a woman considers to be her best friend. As long as it's not her cat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

The young cool moms usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

There's nothing cool about an old hag.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'people often think we're sisters'.
    uh huh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Thread title is hurting my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Nothing worse than getting it wrong, referring to sisters as mother and daughter when meeting for the first time. It's like an alteration of the "not pregnant, just extra weight" faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Men and Women who've had their kids early in life (late teens/early twenties) tend to be most at risk for this.

Around the time that their son or daughter is starting to become "cool" and find their niche in music and particular scenes, the parent is going through that period of life (early 30's on) where they realise that they're no longer with it, and the things they like are no longer cool, and the things that are "cool" are dumb and annoying.

So you get this wonderful mash-up of a parent going through a mid-life crisis and a teenager in their angst phase; but trying to work out who they are; one wanting to pretend they're more mature than they are, the other wanting to pretend they're less mature. And you get this weird parent/friend relationship.

Not such a big risk when the parent is older; they're 40 by the time the child even talks about being cool and the parent has long since accepted that they don't give a fnck about that.

Of course some parents in their 40s or even 50s try to be down with the kids. And that's just extra pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    uh huh.

They don't really think it - they just say it to get your knickers off. Odds are they'd rather your daughter but reckon (most likely correctly) that you're the easier of the two to pull.

There is no sadder sight than an aul one who thinks she's a young one!

Same thing applies to men. Some people just never grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How is it any sort of issue who people choose to relate to, and why is it worthy of a thread? Should we start a thread about people who never make any other friends after they leave school / college? People who expect their work colleagues to be their 'besties'? What does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've noticed this a lot in Dublin.

Hi again,...

No you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

looksee wrote: »
    How is it any sort of issue who people choose to relate to, and why is it worthy of a thread? Should we start a thread about people who never make any other friends after they leave school / college? People who expect their work colleagues to be their 'besties'? What does it matter?

Worthy? Matter?

You seem to be labouring under the misconception that this place is a tad more highbrow that it actually is!

There is little of worth to be had around these parts pilgrim:D

I really don't see what's pathetic about this, or why it applies to mothers and not fathers.

Obviously there have to be certain boundaries between parents and children, but being best friends with your Mum or Dad, as adults, is certainly not pathetic. I would have thought it reflects well on either parent, for the son or daughter to grow up respecting them to the point of being their best friend. Ditto for siblings.

I've never understood this 'acting your age' thing either, as though 40-year-olds are expected to take up golf or knitting and not to concern themselves with trends in technology, the internet, music or fashion. Should they just bury their heads in the sand?

If there's one thing I cannot stand it's the 'young fogey' trend where young (under 40) people adapt the fashion and the very contrived ludditism of past generations. Ryan Tubridy is their patron saint. You know the type, writing letters in longhand cursive instead of emails (proudly declaring oneself to be a technophobe), renouncing modern fashion in favour of bygone trends (anything worn by the Ratpack or minor aristocrats in the mid-20th century); archaic pedantry when it comes to 'etiquette'.

Those sorts of affectations grind my gears. I'd have far more time for someone whose mind is always open, who can engage with the emerging world, and who can equally engage with and befriend younger generations. I think it's a positive sign of a curious mind and of (cognitive and emotional) intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I can honestly say that my Mum and I were best friends. Not in a way that she was trying to be a young and 'with it' mother, we each knew our places.. no blurred lines. There was none of this 'lets go get our nails / hair done and paint the town red together' kind of rubbish. We were more likely to hit garden centres together than go clothes shopping.

Sure we would fall out a little from time to time, nothing major. I was a young mother (early twenties), and probably felt like she was a bit overbearing at times. We would never quarrel for long though, we were too close. She was actually a gold mine of information and support to me when I began having my children, and tried her best to advise me though anything that troubled me. You can't ask for more than that as a parent.

She was something to me that no other friend could possibly be. I found female friends over the years to be hard work, complex, even bitchy and back-stabby. Jealous of me too at times. My Mum was the only one I seemed to be able to talk to that had no agenda, and soon became the only true friend I had. Ill never stop missing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

A woman who wants her daughter to be her best friend imo is a fcukin eijit.

It is your job to be a mother, not a friend.

Its ok later on in life when kid becomes adult, until then its a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

kupus wrote: »

A good mother need to be both of those things to not just daughters, but also her sons. A friend in a sensible, age appropriate way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

My daughter (17) is one of my best friends, but so is my mother (62). My mother and daughter also would consider each other to be best friends. And we get on great together too. Now I don't call my sister my friend because we don't get along.
    We just get along really well, there is a difference to our friendship its unconditional. Either of us could blow up and have a melt down and we wont hold it against the other. Its like being best friends with your cousins (also something I do), family is really important to me.

I don't think I'm down with the kids or cool, I just get on really well with my daughter. It is just the two of us living together so we spend a lot of time together, we are very open people so she is comfortable with talking about anything and I can talk to her about a great deal of things but I keep in mind that I am also a parent. Some things are just not appropriate to talk to a younger person about.

In general my friends ages range from about 0 to 99 (I don't know anyone older than 99) age isn't import to me when it comes to friendship it never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If your relationship with your kids is vicarious, overbearing or plain gets in the way of objectivity and the primary functions of Being A Parent, that's obviously wrong but generally speaking, parents and kids can have similar interests and get on as people without the parents 'being down with the kidz'.

Especially these days. Generally speaking, there is far less profound a generation gap (as regards culture, technology etc) between myself and my kids and myself and my parents (born in the 40s).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

kupus wrote: »

Are you a parent? I've been friends with my daughter since she was born, she's one of my favorite people. I am also a firm but fair parent, and she's turning into an amazing person.

Is there a particular type of poster who re-regs to make odd observations about women?

• Advertisement

I've never understood this 'acting your age' thing either, as though 40-year-olds are expected to take up golf or knitting and not to concern themselves with trends in technology, the internet, music or fashion. Should they just bury their heads in the sand?

That perception is largely based on the experience of people of a certain generation, including myself.

For a rough (and obviously general) example, a lot of people in the 40-50 age group with parents in the 70-80 age group would have seen a quantum change in the generation gap compared to that of somebody that is, say, currently 40 with kids.

I'm friends with my mother, and I'd say my granny is one of my best friends. So is my grandfather for what it's worth. One of the best holidays I've ever had was a road trip with my dad. I never knew they were just denying their age and trying to hang onto their youth, though. I just thought they liked hanging out with me. Boy, is my face red.

All this time I thought we were enjoying a good relationship and it turns out they're just using me to feel relevant.

Never talking to any of them again. :(

Is there a particular type of poster who re-regs to make odd observations about women?

Must be such a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    uh huh.

If the reply was yeah your daughter looks as old as you, that would shut them up :)

Candie wrote: »
    I'm friends with my mother, and I'd say my granny is one of my best friends. So is my grandfather for what it's worth. One of the best holidays I've ever had was a road trip with my dad. I never knew they were just denying their age and trying to hang onto their youth, though. I just thought they liked hanging out with me. Boy, is my face red.

All this time I thought we were enjoying a good relationship and it turns out they're just using me to feel relevant.

Never talking to any of them again. :(

You should know never to take anything about parenting for granted until you seek advice at the feet of the AH elders.

You should know never to take anything about parenting for granted until you seek advice at the foot of the AH elders.

All this time I thought they were great. That's what happens when you manipulate a child with love and friendship and guidance, I guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

I suspect Pig Head to be behind this...

Candie wrote: »
    All this time I thought they were great. That's what happens when you manipulate a child with love and friendship and guidance, I guess. :(

All the knowledge is wasted on a forum, really.

It needs to be collated into a bestseller called Omniscient Parenting: Seeing The Future.

seamus wrote: »
    Men and Women who've had their kids early in life (late teens/early twenties) tend to be most at risk for this.

Around the time that their son or daughter is starting to become "cool" and find their niche in music and particular scenes, the parent is going through that period of life (early 30's on) where they realise that they're no longer with it, and the things they like are no longer cool, and the things that are "cool" are dumb and annoying.

So you get this wonderful mash-up of a parent going through a mid-life crisis and a teenager in their angst phase; but trying to work out who they are; one wanting to pretend they're more mature than they are, the other wanting to pretend they're less mature. And you get this weird parent/friend relationship.

Not such a big risk when the parent is older; they're 40 by the time the child even talks about being cool and the parent has long since accepted that they don't give a fnck about that.

Of course some parents in their 40s or even 50s try to be down with the kids. And that's just extra pathetic.

Or, alternatively, they just like each others company and enjoy time together.

Revolutionary, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's also worth noting that while a parent being a "friend" of their teenage child is weird and pathetic, a relationship that stays "parent-child" into the child's twenties is also weird and pathetic.

Parents will always be parents, but must move into an advisory and assistance role when the child becomes an adult, and not stay in an authoritarian parental role.

Advertisement