Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The missus, the mother

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'She who must be obeyed' is far better. It sounds like they're married to a dominatrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's a common cockney saying where a wife or girlfriend is referred to as "her indoors" which is hilarious when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I remembering hearing Pat Kenny referring to Kathy,his wife as "the other half" at an awards ceremony.I thought it was very disrespectful hearing a professional broadcaster say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Asked the missus here and she said chill out, Sir Lancelot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's the ''The'' bit that I dislike. ''My missus' or ''my mother'' is ok. ''The missus'' sounds like they're distancing themself from her. I think immature men do it more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Pretty sure you'll find some who would whinge about "My", too - they're not a piece of property, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wesser wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that these terms are slightly derogatory?

As in... it's an object that kind of..... has to be put up with?

Ah jaysus the missus wouldn t go out with out fixin' up d' nails wha!!??
    Ah jaysus I'm only here coz d mudder made me....

Is that you Louise O’Neill?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Pretty sure you'll find some who would whinge about "My", too - they're not a piece of property, etc, etc.

''My'' doesn't always imply ownership though. And if it did, you're equally theirs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

OP what are your thoughts on people who refer to their dad as "Th'oulfella"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

''My'' doesn't always imply ownership though. And if it did, you're equally theirs.
    And "the" doesn't always imply 'distance'.
    I wasn't suggesting the whingers were logical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Still think that the term "She who must be obeyed" is the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Personally I prefer to be called by my official title: The Wicked Bitch of the West.

Ficheall wrote: »
    And "the" doesn't always imply 'distance'.
    I wasn't suggesting the whingers were logical.

Well, ''the'' isn't the correct way of referring to someone so it's open to interpretation. ''My'' on the other hand is the usual and accepted way to refer to a relative, partner or acquaintance. Or even a boss or superior of some kind, which goes to show that it isn't intended to suggest ownership or domination of the other person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Better to use "the" and sound dismissive than to use "my" and accidentally lead people to believe that you're referring to someone whom you deeply love.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 ShmuckRyan

Wouldn't dare call her "the missus".

It's her indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

The Missus is used as a term of endearment by loads of people. I don't see anything wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eeguy wrote: »
    Don't mind the missus.

When people refer to their gf as "herself", that really annoys me.

Does noone remember "er indoors"?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭fyfe79

FanadMan wrote: »
    Still think that the term "She who must be obeyed" is the best one.

A good one I heard recently was "Head of the War Office". :pac:

Who's 'her'?

The cat's mother?

/everyone's mother

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The bitch and the dragon
    The wife and the mother in law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

'The enemy' as Delboy would say :)

I do find the insertion of 'the' before mother or missus to be dismissive. It is a bit 'her in there', and does seem to be an unfeeling or disrespectful referral to someone.

I wouldn't find 'missus' a particularly endearing term if I'm honest. Oh, and if any of my children ever referred to me as 'the mother' they would want to run. I am not an object :)

I don't mind The Missus. I call the chap The Chap so I can hardly complain. I often say The Mother etc. I've never given any of it a second thought.

RayM wrote: »
    Better to use "the" and sound dismissive than to use "my" and accidentally lead people to believe that you're referring to someone whom you deeply love.

:D Couldn't have people thinking you hold your wife or mum in high regard

(well, not you, them)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I always call my missus, my missus.

I don't really know what else I could call her?

We aren't married so she's not my wife.
    We're neither gay, nor in the Yukon prospecting for gold, so partner is out.
    We're together for well over a decade so girlfriend doesn't feel right either.

So, missus it is.

Or alternatively - the mot

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I always call my missus, my missus.

I don't really know what else I could call her?

We aren't married so she's not my wife.
    We're neither gay, nor in the Yukon prospecting for gold, so partner is out.
    We're together for well over a decade so girlfriend doesn't feel right either.

So, missus it is.

Or alternatively - the mot

Personally, I see "partner" as quite neutral and quite appropriate for all unmarried couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Will ask the ball and chain when I've finished folding her smalls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's the ''The'' bit that I dislike. ''My missus' or ''my mother'' is ok. ''The missus'' sounds like they're distancing themself from her. I think immature men do it more than most.

Do you seriously think that every person that says something like The Aul Fella, The Missus, The Fella is consciously distancing themselves from the subject?

I generally despise the general politcal implications of the phrase, 'snowflake' but in this case, it's perfectly valid.

People mining the most nominal seams of discourse looking for micro-instances of offence in order to to present themselves in a more righteous light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Academic wrote: »
    Personally, I see "partner" as quite neutral and quite appropriate for all unmarried couples.

Sounds gayer than mardi gras to me!

Do you seriously think that every person that says something like The Aul Fella, The Missus, The Fella is consciously distancing themselves from the subject?

I generally despise the general politcal implications of the phrase, 'snowflake' but in this case, it's perfectly valid.

People mining the most nominal seams of discourse looking for micro-instances of offence in order to to present themselves in a more righteous light.

Do you seriously read that much into every comment?
    I believe some people are emotionally immature enough to do it, whether consciously or subconsciously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Sounds gayer than mardi gras to me!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement