Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Lefthander's Day!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

No, I'm a conformist bland right-hander
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Indeed - the word 'Sinister' comes from the Italian word for left 'Sinistra'. This is because it was thought that left-handed people were in league with the Devil.

My father is a left-hander and has terrible handwriting, this is a result of the Bros forcing him to write with his right hand.
    I inherited my left-handedness from him.

I spent my whole time in secondary school with the bros getting beaten for being a leftie.

There's one or two of them "christians" out there who must be in their 80's now. I'd like to show them what I can do with my left hand now that I'd have the same physical advantage over them that they had over me at the time.

I'm not bitter or anything...:D

Happy Lefties Day.

Luckily I had a more sympathetic education and was never forced to write with the 'wrong' hand.

My handwriting, however, is still bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

In primary school the teachers gave out to me over my bad handwriting. When we started using biros it got worse as my hand would pass over the fresh ink and smudge the writing. I remember my mother getting blotting paper that i would put under my hand while writing but didn't improve things and was a pita to keep under my hand.
    I often wonder how do other cultures (arabic Hebrew urduetc.) fare where they write from right to left. Huge numbers must be smudging their writing. Blotting paper sales must be huge!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

In primary school the teachers gave out to me over my bad handwriting. When we started using biros it got worse as my hand would pass over the fresh ink and smudge the writing. I remember my mother getting blotting paper that i would put under my hand while writing but didn't improve things and was a pita to keep under my hand.
    I often wonder how do other cultures (arabic Hebrew urduetc.) fare where they write from right to left. Huge numbers must be smudging their writing. Blotting paper sales must be huge!

I never learned proper joined up writing because of that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Left-handed here too .. I've never tried a left handed scissors though. Are they that much better? :)

Id settle for a decent wireless mouse with buttons on the "other" side. Have this one and it's great except for that.

More lefty nonsense

Where's the day for us straight, white, male, righties?

PC gone mad ... something something ... minorities! feminazis !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm genderqueer fluid-handed. Write with my right hand, play guitar left-handed, play golf right-handed, play pool left-handed, fap with the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Left-handed here too .. I've never tried a left handed scissors though. Are they that much better? :)

Id settle for a decent wireless mouse with buttons on the "other" side. Have this one and it's great except for that.

I tried using a left-handed scissors because they had them in school sometimes but I am so used to using a right-handed scissors that I found it too difficult to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm genderqueer fluid-handed. Write with my right hand, play guitar left-handed, play golf right-handed, play pool left-handed, fap with the right.

Likewise. Left hand tied behind my back in primary school to force me to write right handed. Still write with my right but favour the left for everything else. When I played golf I used right handed woods and irons but a left handed putter. In badminton I used to switch hands regularly - it really confused opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

More lefty nonsense

Where's the day for us straight, white, male, righties?

PC gone mad ... something something ... minorities! feminazis !

You've just got yourself onto "the list".

Happy left handers day to the best people ever!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Happy left handers day to the best people ever!!
    :D

Oh I didn't know that you are a leftie too :D

Oh I didn't know that you are a leftie too :D

I knew you were! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I celebrated by cutting my hand on a grater this morning. F*ck the dextrarchy.

Do many do the knife and fork swap where the cutlery is laid out on the table? I have the fork in right hand. Dessert spoon is held in left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

She boxed the head the head off Emily bronte for the world heavyweight championship.

Does Emily Bronte have 2 heads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do many do the knife and fork swap where the cutlery is laid out on the table? I have the fork in right hand. Dessert spoon is held in left hand.

No, never. I use a right handed chainsaw, just looking at a lefthanded chainsaw makes it look awkward, they look as if they are upside down.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=left+handed+chainsaw&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX-ZCsqNTVAhVJD8AKHeGDAIQQ_AUICigB&biw=1093&bih=472#imgrc=_&spf=1502630919747

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

write left-handed, play soccer left legged but play golf for some reason right-handed.
    Coincidentally while explaining my golf grip showed I actually played hurling in my youth with a right handed grip on my left side,
    Every other sport such as tennis I play left handed..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

Left handed but use my right foot for football ðŸ™႒

Use a spoke.

Use a spoke.

Or a spork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

When I'm writing a letter I typically have the pen in my left hand and a can of beer in the other.
    I normally finish the beer, but rarely the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Subacio wrote: »
    Both Mrs Subacio and I are left handed, but have 3 kids, all of whom are right handed.

We are both right handed, but 2 out of 3 kids are left handed. MIL is left handed so must have come from her I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

It's dangerous being totally reliant on one hand or side, being able to adapt to use either will benefit you long term. Being totally right or left sided presents health problems, particularly with strokes, many who actually suffer are very one sided.

Force your self to use you're weaker side, just start practising, even if you have to start holding your beer or wine that way. :D You need to find an equilibrium & balance in life, you'll thank me if you encounter health problems that prevent you using your dominant side.

Your weaker side needs to be nurtured not ignored. Same as two sides of your brain. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

73Cat wrote: »
    We are both right handed, but 2 out of 3 kids are left handed. MIL is left handed so must have come from her I suppose.

Finally, proof that MiL's are pure evil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a leftie, never found it a hassle until I went to college and had to use those stupid seats with built in desks which were stuck to the right. No option to move it. Absolutely impossible to work properly when you have to contort your body just to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm a leftie, never found it a hassle until I went to college and had to use those stupid seats with built in desks which were stuck to the right. No option to move it. Absolutely impossible to work properly when you have to contort your body just to write.

They make desks that go the other way, but the expense and logistics of having two sets and swapping them out from one class to the next are daunting.

Academic wrote: »
    They make desks that go the other way, but the expense and logistics of having two sets and swapping them out from one class to the next are daunting.

Us lefties have to adapt to a righthand world. We are a resouceful bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

judeboy101 wrote: »
    God be with the days when the Christian brothers beat the left handedness out of people.

I'd say I was one of the last. Probably senior infants so early 70s. I well remember being struck so hard I fell back onto the floor. I clearly remember seeing the ceiling.
    I genuinely hold no grudge against her - it didn't affect me one bit and I'm still left-handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

right or left handedness is not genetic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Yes! I couldnt hold a knife in my right hand= feels weird

Advertisement