Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too lazy to play

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

mrcheez wrote: »
    Incidentally, my solution to this now (on VR) is to get games that can be completed in a day. Much more rewarding.

The good thing about VR is that, even if you don't play the game thoroughly, the few minutes or first hour is such a rewarding experience that it warrants the price tag of the game so you don't feel too bad if you don't have time to play them further.

In VR you don't play games, you jump into an alternate universe and (to use the Oculus term) "experience" it. Even ten minutes is great and you're not bothered if you don't open that game ever again as it's already imprinted on your memory.

Is VR that good? I never experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's made playing 2D games essentially impossible for me now.

With occasional exceptions like Inside (which I play via VR as well since I can play the game on a huge screen so it's like my private IMAX theatre)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's made playing 2D games essentially impossible for me now.

I don't think I could even fathom that. Lobotomizing so many genres in one swoop.

I find switching up genres when I get bored helps. Also buying games that I generally want as opposed to buying them just because they are on sale, no matter the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It isn't.

Not yet anyway.

It's literally a "game changer" as in it changes how you play games.

While someone is shooting at you, you physically crouch down to hide behind a desk and then reach out your arm over the edge to shoot, hitting your mark if you are lucky/good.

It's awesome. Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's literally a "game changer" as in it changes how you play games.

While someone is shooting at you, you physically crouch down to hide behind a desk and then reach out your arm over the edge to shoot, hitting your mark if you are lucky/good.

It's awesome. Try it.

I play games to relax. Reminds me of when I first got a Kinect on the Xbox 360 jesus I was wrecked after a session and just to add I am not overweight or anything just wasn't used to jumping around the place like a mad thing.

I play games to relax. Reminds me of when I first got a Kinect on the Xbox 360 jesus I was wrecked after a session and just to add I am not overweight or anything just wasn't used to jumping around the place like a mad thing.

The majority are sit-down games though, that was just an example of the physical ones. This time you are immersed in the surroundings :)

Anyway I'm not here to convince you as it's something you need to try yourself. I was sure it was going to be a gimmick until I tried it last November and immediately went out and bought a PS4/PSVR ... now have an Oculus too, best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

JD1763 wrote: »
    I think I saw someone discussing something about this once and related it to psychology and being presented with too many options at once. You basically end up with analysis or decision paralysis trying to decide what to play as there's so much to consider when confronted by your huge Steam library of games. I certainly feel the same at times scrolling through my list and I just can't decide what I feel like playing, then I get frustrated trying to decide and turn on Twitch and watch someone else play instead.

Or else its all a load of BS and I'm just too lazy to play as well.
    Nope, it's true.

I got my NES Classic mini with 30 games on it. Played it once every night before going to sleep.

I hacked it and put about 800 games on it about 2 months ago. Played it about 5 times since.

Limiting the number of games somehow made it more appealing and I played games I would otherwise have ignored. Like menus at a restaurant, too much choice is a bad thing and can be exhausting deciding if you've chosen the right option "when there are so many other ones you could be experiencing right now"

(Runs off to sign up to next year's psychology degree course)

I've experienced something akin to this.
    A few years ago I was playing 4/5 games in parallel but I was enjoying none of them and found myself getting less and less interested in playing.
    Changed tack, played one at at time (same games) and started having fun again.

I tend to know what games I'm in the mood for before I sit down to play but what helps is that I've categorised my library.
    Makes the games list a lot less daunting.

Well yeah if it's your career obviously you're going to get more playtime than the usual 9am-6pm worker that has a hard day at work and just wants to throw back on the couch and toss open YouTube, or go out for a run before dinner. Or attend to family matters if in such a position :)

It's finding the time to balance that sort of tiring lifestyle with the commitment to enter into a gaming session for a few hours that can be taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Since I got that laptop, I kind of drifting away from pcs, but not pc gaming. Laptops got a lot more power in them and very reasonable price compared to few years ago. The only issue I have now that this laptop was still a masssive bargain for 300eu, but its not powerful enough to run newer games. I know for sure that instead of upgrading my pc, I will be getting new laptop with 1060.

They want you to upgrade your PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

JD1763 wrote: »
    I think I saw someone discussing something about this once and related it to psychology and being presented with too many options at once. You basically end up with analysis or decision paralysis trying to decide what to play as there's so much to consider when confronted by your huge Steam library of games. I certainly feel the same at times scrolling through my list and I just can't decide what I feel like playing, then I get frustrated trying to decide and turn on Twitch and watch someone else play instead.

Or else its all a load of BS and I'm just too lazy to play as well.
    Nope, it's true.

I got my NES Classic mini with 30 games on it. Played it once every night before going to sleep.

I hacked it and put about 800 games on it about 2 months ago. Played it about 5 times since.

Limiting the number of games somehow made it more appealing and I played games I would otherwise have ignored. Like menus at a restaurant, too much choice is a bad thing and can be exhausting deciding if you've chosen the right option "when there are so many other ones you could be experiencing right now"

(Runs off to sign up to next year's psychology degree course)
    Remouad wrote: »
    I've experienced something akin to this.
    A few years ago I was playing 4/5 games in parallel but I was enjoying none of them and found myself getting less and less interested in playing.
    Changed tack, played one at at time (same games) and started having fun again.

I tend to know what games I'm in the mood for before I sit down to play but what helps is that I've categorised my library.
    Makes the games list a lot less daunting.

Choice Paradox

Advertisement