Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too lazy to play

Options
  • 12-08-2017 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever had this?
    Relatively new to pc gaming. Less than a year or so. I buy what interests me and have 100 plus games in the last 6/7 months but sometimes i just couldnt be arsed going to the trouble of booting up and getting stuck in. I see gaming as leisure yet i cant get motivated to be leisurely. I do like collecting tho!
    Am i alone here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nah I get it too, I'd normally stick on something I can play with a controller if gaming is really what I want to do.

If not, I'll leave gaming for a few weeks/months, read books, catch up on TV Shows/Movies or do some creative writing as my main hobby instead.

If you're not enjoying it you're wasting your time, as you've said yourself, its for leisure, no point playing games for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Every few weeks I just go binge watch a tv show then eventually go back to playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Im trying to remember what people did before the ability to binge watch tv.
    Waiting for a specific day for a show that if we missed it we had to rely on others to fill us in.
    Mad to think about.
    Or how far gaming has evolved in the last 5/10 years.
    Photorealism. Multiplayer. The jumps vr is taking.
    I picture ready player one (without the apocolyptic parts) in the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have caught up on like the 3 tv shows I am watching so waiting for the seasons to end so I can watch them all. I have always watched shows like this due to working shifts in the past.

Killjoys, Preacher and Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I, on the other hand can't seem to let a day go by without killing someone online...I think your approach is a bit more balanced and healthy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I have caught up on like the 3 tv shows I am watching so waiting for the seasons to end so I can watch them all. I have always watched shows like this due to working shifts in the past.

Killjoys, Preacher and Archer.

Try Dark Matter and The Expanse

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have still a nice pc, with lovely ultrawide monitor, but I havent turned it on in about 3 weeks now.
    Reason for this, I got an okay laptop with i5 and 860m a few months ago. I love my pc, but I work a lot and on day off I am trying to relax. Lying down in bedroom, with laptop on my belly is just a lot more appealing for me right now. I can even play it after work during the night after misses passes out. Something I could not really do with pc downstairs.

Since I got that laptop, I kind of drifting away from pcs, but not pc gaming. Laptops got a lot more power in them and very reasonable price compared to few years ago. The only issue I have now that this laptop was still a masssive bargain for 300eu, but its not powerful enough to run newer games. I know for sure that instead of upgrading my pc, I will be getting new laptop with 1060.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see what you mean. My laptop limits my choices until I get round to building which will hopefully be very soon. I've been alternating between a few Total War games and the Long War mod for X-COM: Enemy Within. I tend to get very into it and then completely lose interest. Hopefully, I'll get to increase the variety of titles I can play which will help but for now.... Meh....

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Ye should look into streaming. You can leverage the power of your gaming pc on your laptop and it doesn't even need to be a laptop with a decent graphics card. Mine's rocking a GT 420M! :D

I've been doing it a lot recently playing X-Com (1&2) and Total War Warhammer while the missus has been binging GoT.

There's apparently lag over wifi and you might notice that in an FPS but it's perfect for X-Com and Warhammer (I pop into the other room if there's a battle I want/need to fight)

My only problem my monitor (restricts the streaming resolution) but that's a story for a different thread...

Try Dark Matter and The Expanse
    Love Dark Matter!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Remouad wrote: »
    Ye should look into streaming. You can leverage the power of your gaming pc on your laptop and it doesn't even need to be a laptop with a decent graphics card. Mine's rocking a GT 420M! :D

I've been doing it a lot recently playing X-Com (1&2) and Total War Warhammer while the missus has been binging GoT.

There's apparently lag over wifi and you might notice that in an FPS but it's perfect for X-Com and Warhammer (I pop into the other room if there's a battle I want/need to fight)

My only problem my monitor (restricts the streaming resolution) but that's a story for a different thread...

I get a 2MB connection at the moment on a good day so that might not be an option.

I'm hoping to build in October/November all going well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It would be streaming over your home wifi/network. Hope your getting better than 2MBs on that :D

You will need the new machine alright but means your laptop will still be viable for gaming.

Remouad wrote: »
    It would be streaming over your home wifi/network. Hope your getting better than 2MBs on that :D

You will need the new machine alright but means your laptop will still be viable for gaming.

I thought you meant the equivalent of Netflix for gaming.

It's an appalling connection. I'm moving to a 6-person house with 100MB Virgin which will hopefully be faster.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

I'm wondering would this be a sign of depression?

Btw: I'm no shrink.

Donne wrote: »
    I'm wondering would this be a sign of depression?

Btw: I'm no shrink.

Haha. More of a sign that I work shifts and am wrecked when I'm at home. Throw in the fact the PC is in a messy basement that I couldn't be bothering to go down and fire it up. I've plenty of excuses!
    I have a steam link which I use a bit.
    Sometimes it's just easier to stick YouTube on and let it autoplay. Been relistening to Ricky gervais and Carl Pilkington. Comedy Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Anyone ever had this?
    Relatively new to pc gaming. Less than a year or so. I buy what interests me and have 100 plus games in the last 6/7 months but sometimes i just couldnt be arsed going to the trouble of booting up and getting stuck in. I see gaming as leisure yet i cant get motivated to be leisurely. I do like collecting tho!
    Am i alone here?

Maybe try switching to gamepad/TV from keyboard/monitor and looking into a small case (assuming yours is rather large, as most are) on your next build? Then set up Kodi or Steam Big Picture to open on start up and your PC is more of a HTPC/super console and less of an 'effort' to get around to.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Haha. More of a sign that I work shifts and am wrecked when I'm at home. Throw in the fact the PC is in a messy basement that I couldn't be bothering to go down and fire it up. I've plenty of excuses!
    I have a steam link which I use a bit.
    Sometimes it's just easier to stick YouTube on and let it autoplay. Been relistening to Ricky gervais and Carl Pilkington. Comedy Gold

Sorry, I was just basically projecting my situation; I got a 'PS4 VR Head Set' a few months ago, but I haven't set it up yet.

Maybe this thread will give me the kick up the arse I need to get going on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

now that is lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Skerries wrote: »
    now that is lazy

What a jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I go through a phase like this one a year,i just dont play anything at all,when you want to go back playing,you just will.. for me its usually when a game ive been looking forward to is released...

I wouldnt force it though,from experince it doesnt work..

Seriously though.. get that PSVR set up.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Maybe it's age or maybe most games are $hite. There's only a few gems I'd entertain now whereas i remember playing the same sonic levels over nd over nd over....

That and as you said, it's fair easier to just go into sleep mode and watch content on Youtube.

If i want to play a game get anything done, i ban myself from opening Youtube.

I'm hoping it's burnout because there have been some serious gems on PC recently.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Think of me I like gaming but my dog hates when I do. He doesn't like if I was having a fight with somebody in the house and there was a lot of shouting and he hates me gaming as I can get quite vocal if I was playing a game and I got to a frustrating part. So when I turn on the Xbox or play on the PC he doesn't like it.

He is a old dog 13 and a half so I limit my time playing so he isn't stressed out. He was fine when he was younger it's just now in his old age he is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That is honestly the strangest reason I've heard for not gaming that much. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

e21b9091460b4e139c25ef39717dd0327f636f9e272de1e51b5418527c14cd21.jpg

Don't worry, we all get it

Collecting v playing. Which am I?

Collecting v playing. Which am I?

Getting games at crazy discounts is a game in itself and triggers the same reward responses in the brain as beating a game.

Hence why so many create extensive backlogs whether they have time to play or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I think I saw someone discussing something about this once and related it to psychology and being presented with too many options at once. You basically end up with analysis or decision paralysis trying to decide what to play as there's so much to consider when confronted by your huge Steam library of games. I certainly feel the same at times scrolling through my list and I just can't decide what I feel like playing, then I get frustrated trying to decide and turn on Twitch and watch someone else play instead.

Or else its all a load of BS and I'm just too lazy to play as well.

JD1763 wrote: »
    I think I saw someone discussing something about this once and related it to psychology and being presented with too many options at once. You basically end up with analysis or decision paralysis trying to decide what to play as there's so much to consider when confronted by your huge Steam library of games. I certainly feel the same at times scrolling through my list and I just can't decide what I feel like playing, then I get frustrated trying to decide and turn on Twitch and watch someone else play instead.

Or else its all a load of BS and I'm just too lazy to play as well.

Nope, it's true.

I got my NES Classic mini with 30 games on it. Played it once every night before going to sleep.

I hacked it and put about 800 games on it about 2 months ago. Played it about 5 times since.

Limiting the number of games somehow made it more appealing and I played games I would otherwise have ignored. Like menus at a restaurant, too much choice is a bad thing and can be exhausting deciding if you've chosen the right option "when there are so many other ones you could be experiencing right now"

(Runs off to sign up to next year's psychology degree course)

• Advertisement

Incidentally, my solution to this now (on VR) is to get games that can be completed in a day. Much more rewarding.

The good thing about VR is that, even if you don't play the game thoroughly, the few minutes or first hour is such a rewarding experience that it warrants the price tag of the game so you don't feel too bad if you don't have time to play them further.

In VR you don't play games, you jump into an alternate universe and (to use the Oculus term) "experience" it. Even ten minutes is great and you're not bothered if you don't open that game ever again as it's already imprinted on your memory.

Advertisement