Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alright squire

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

gctest50 wrote: »
    That oul proofreading does be quare tricky at times you see

I was more than half asleep writing that, and not putting myself forward as a journalist. :p

A decent rebuttal, however I still don't think the British can be racist against Irish, considering we're not different races.

https://afootintwoplaces.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/dear-jim-browne-here-is-why-youre-so-wrong-about-eire/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A decent rebuttal, however I still don't think the British can be racist against Irish, considering we're not different races.

https://afootintwoplaces.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/dear-jim-browne-here-is-why-youre-so-wrong-about-eire/

Pedentry. It's discrimination against an ethnic group. Besides there's no scientifically defined race.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Pedentry. It's discrimination against an ethnic group. Besides there's no scientifically defined race.

Yeah, I was going to use the word pedant myself - but still think we're as close to the British as to make no difference, so think it's a lazy word.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yeah, I was going to use the word pedant myself - but still think we're as close to the British as to make no difference, so think it's a lazy word.

I disagree. I live in England and think we're very different peoples. I find the British to be a lot more reserved TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's that you say Mr. Dinosaur? You want to delete your article from the interwebs so that nobody can ever see it again? What a great idea.

Looks like you might never have heard of the  wayback machine

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I find the British to be a lot more reserved TBH.

You mean better able to moderate their alcohol intake ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did the author himself remove the article?

If the magazine did it then they're hypocritical cowards. All their bleeting on about the importance of free speech and diversity of thought.

If the magazine did it then they're hypocritical cowards. All their bleating on about the importance of free speech and diversity of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Xenophobic maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If the magazine did it then they're hypocritical cowards. All their bleating on about the importance of free speech and diversity of thought.

Any right to free speech refers only to the government not arresting you for saying something they don't like.

He has the free speech right to say anything he likes.
    We have the free speech right to say that we dont' like it.
    His employer has the right to not want to be associated with bigoted drivel.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Xenophobic maybe

Was thinking that, but couldn't think of a term specific to a certain nationality. Although, I'd not be amazed if he was Xenophobic in general :rolleyes:

kylith wrote: »
    Any right to free speech refers only to the government not arresting you for saying something they don't like.

He has the free speech right to say anything he likes.
    We have the free speech right to say that we dont' like it.
    His employer has the right to not want to be associated with bigoted drivel.

His employer declared themselves to be a bastion of free speech when the initial backlash to the article hit.

Advertisement