Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alright squire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Samaris wrote: »
    I am amused how he gives out about the Irish dairy but then lauds Northern Irish dairy products. Is the difference in the political affiliation of the cows?

Ulster says Moo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's possible he means it, in which case he's got issues and who cares. Then again, it may be satire and not intended to be taken seriously. Therefore, either way, I'm not going to take it particularly seriously.

Although I did have the entertainment value of reading it aloud (with all the snobby intonation) and my Irish partner going off like a set of firecrackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

to be honest there's very little I disagree with..Vradkar is a lippy little fúcker who's trying to dictate to Britain on the border? It won't be Ireland or the UK who dictates the border...it will be the EU..Somehow I get the feeling the little poodle is just following his instructions from Merkel and Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita ... international dollars (Int$)

International Monetary Fund
    7 Ireland 69,231
    24 United Kingdom 42,481

World Bank
    6 Ireland 68,883
    21 United Kingdom 42,609

Central Intelligence Agency
    8 Ireland 69,400
    27 United Kingdom 42,500

...........................................................................................

where-to-be-born index (previously called the quality-of-life index)
    12 Ireland 7.74
    27 United Kingdom 7.01

...........................................................................................

We have major foreign companies located here.
    If they pulled out we would be poorer.
    The reality is they are here, and we are doing ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yesterday's news lads :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

diomed wrote: »
    List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita ... international dollars (Int$)

International Monetary Fund
    7 Ireland 69,231
    24 United Kingdom 42,481

World Bank
    6 Ireland 68,883
    21 United Kingdom 42,609

Central Intelligence Agency
    8 Ireland 69,400
    27 United Kingdom 42,500

It's great to be able to quote those, but to be fair and not to be as misleading as the Eire article, GDP for Ireland is skewed and not comparing like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well he is obviously talking about Rugged Island and not Craggy Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The magazine has apparently lost advertisers over this.

Whether it's really bad satire or outright anti-Irish sentiment the editor should have put the kybosh on it before it went to print.

kylith wrote: »
    The magazine has apparently lost advertisers over this.

Whether it's really bad satire or outright anti-Irish sentiment the editor should have put the kybosh on it before it went to print.

Well, it is a bit daft as satire. Like...what exactly is he satirising? Satire should have a point that isn't just "Lol, look how many stereotypes I can ram into a paragraph, let's see how many people get upset so I can say SATIRE GOTCHA." It's like listening to Trump claiming that every dumb thing he says is "sarcasm" when called out on it.

If it is actually intended seriously, then a) yer man has serious issues and b) what on earth has it to do with the magazine?

Edit: A bit more reading around and I can't actually find any indication that it was intended to be satire or that the magazine goes in for such. Looks like he is actually just a bit nuts and has impressively poor judgement. What did he -think- was going to happen? Same for the editor!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

it's clearly anti Irish and not satire. The reference to De Valera and Hitler is a tired line often trotted out by Unionist politicians and their ilk. If Myers was sacked for his antisemitic article then this fellow should definitely be put out to pasture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Anyone has a picture of this lad Browne (the brown lad)? Couldn't find any...

Oh god, it gets better.

So, an Irish journalist linked the article to a couple of Country Squire's advertisers asking them to read it and respond as to whether this reflected their views. Land Rover UK said that it didn't and they'd be pulling the ad, as did Barbour. Later on, Land Rover came back and said "hang on, we never placed this ad". So now they're looking into things with their legal team as to what on earth Country Squire was doing placing ads purporting to be from their company in their production.

https://www.joe.ie/news/english-website-irish-racism-598008 Yeah, it's joe.ie, but it has the relevant exchange between parties.

Also, kudos to the editor for the amusing response.

/popcorn

Edited to correct which was the fake ad reported, it was Land Rover, not Barbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Samaris wrote: »
    I am amused how he gives out about the Irish dairy but then lauds Northern Irish dairy products. Is the difference in the political affiliation of the cows?

Dairy or Londondairy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

They're right about Geldof tbf

Geldof may be many things but a fool he is not.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well, they have said they'll post the best response. Anybody suggest a Get stuffed John Bull article? An amalgamation of Boards.ie posts might work.

No need for accurate facts, that wasn't a concern for the original article.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

This article is certainly satirical - but it's pretty representative of attitudes genuinely held by a segment of the English/UK population.

This article is certainly satirical - but it's pretty representative of attitudes genuinely held by a segment of the English/UK population.

Remarkably, it turns out it wasn't satirical at all! Yer man is actually just a few Lucky Charms (ick) short of a bowl of cereal.

franklyon wrote: »
    it's clearly anti Irish and not satire. The reference to De Valera and Hitler is a tired line often trotted out by Unionist politicians and their ilk. If Myers was sacked for his antisemitic article then this fellow should definitely be put out to pasture

If he wanted to nail the Irish, he could surely have reached for a lot nastier stuff. He could have referred to terrorist campaigns against civilians in English pubs, which even Alan Partridge invoked, or the whole "society emerging from the control of child abusing priests" stuff. I think the line that the Jewish people are driven by money is worse than his references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nice to read something with a bit of gusto tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dear Author,

Ireland is laughing at you.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why do certain britons always insist on calling Ireland Eire?

Nobody in Ireland or the rest of the world uses that term.

Just say Ireland and Northern Ireland lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I'm 100% Irish and I find this funny. I'm not outraged, angered, belittled or anything of the sort. And plenty of it is true.

Why do other demographics find everything written inflammatory and offensive? Even stuff way tamer than this.

And I guarantee you there will be no big fallout from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Anti-Irish sentiment in British upper class shocker. There's still a touch of imperialism in the old gaurd. Just ignore it and let them build a wall between them and Europe.

I'd take English upper class over English middle class any day of the week to be honest, Left wing middle class Brits in particular really opened my eyes to the class system over there, at least with Jeremy Clarkson types and properly posh people they wear their hearts on their sleave and there can be humor found in it.

A lot of middle class English Lefties despise white working class Brits in a way thats much more subtle and nasty, a conversation about builders or Brexit is normally a way to see some proper vitriol.
    I'd say whoever wrote that is irish themselves.

I am betting its Aonghus von Bismark's secret English twin Brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

This was hugely entertaining. I just wish they had a discussion facility underneath it and we could email each other the link (a the vote for BBC Song of the Millennium in 2002 which was won by... the Wolfe Tones, A Nation Once Again).

As has been said here already, the reference to Dev and the Nazis especially makes clear to anybody familiar with the recurrent soundbites of the Paddy-hating Europhobes that this was obviously a serious article, and under the article "the editorial team probably agree" that the piece is "bigoted".

I found it harmless in the sense that it was implicitly screaming rage about the decline of Britain, and specifically England. I couldn't escape how pathetically under siege it was - from the EU, immigration, perceived political correctness, from everything. You could sense the loss of his imagined England. My original laughter was replaced by a (very fleeting) sense of pity for them for the death of their world.

Nevertheless, we can laugh at it from 2017 but the reference in this thread to that overbearing gobsh Bob Geldof reminded me of a hugely important context for your man's article. I had to google the exact quote as it's 30 years since I read Geldof's autobiography. It was Geldof's reflections on his arrival in England in the 1970s. Yes, 1970s, and yes surprisingly these are Bob Geldof's own words (much of the book is talking about his hate for Ireland):

'“No dogs, no Irish,” said the bedsit sign. Fine. It didn't even depress me. But I didn't have to live with the constant grind of it.' (Source)

That's a context for this general Paddy-hating mentality that some people would like to pretend doesn't exist today.

Lastly, I see this esoteric media outlet doesn't veer too far off track in its targets, either:

'The SNP, Hitler & the IRA'.

We'll be waiting for their article entitled 'The Tory Party, Hitler & the British monarchy'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If he wanted to nail the Irish, he could surely have reached for a lot nastier stuff. He could have referred to terrorist campaigns against civilians in English pubs, which even Alan Partridge invoked, or the whole "society emerging from the control of child abusing priests" stuff. I think the line that the Jewish people are driven by money is worse than his references.

You have to love boards.ie. An article is printed leveling Ireland with every insult and stereotype under the sun and criticizing our Taoiseach for having the gall not to dance to the UK's tune, and you have people here saying that if anything the article didn't abuse Irish people enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

bmwguy wrote: »
    I'm 100% Irish and I find this funny. I'm not outraged, angered, belittled or anything of the sort. And plenty of it is true.

Why do other demographics find everything written inflammatory and offensive? Even stuff way tamer than this.

And I guarantee you there will be no big fallout from this.

Yes, being overly sensitive to percieved offence is definately no virtue, but neither is being willing to passively submit to insult as so many Irish are.

The sensible position is somewhere between the two extremes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lol at the people who genuinely think this is satirical, have you never read a daily mail comments section before?

• Advertisement

You have to love boards.ie. An article is printed leveling Ireland with every insult and stereotype under the sun and criticizing our Taoiseach for having the gall not to dance to the UK's tune, and you have people here saying that if anything the article didn't abuse Irish people enough.

I can think of worse insults and stereotypes than squeaky fiddles and pubs in rain.

As you single out the Varadkar stuff, it describes him as "lippy" and "whining". Meh, I'll get over that, I've seen worse levelled at May and my British friends weren't too upset.

You do have to love Boards.ie. It's all about posters with different opinions...and depth of skin...

Advertisement