Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Murphys Or Beamish

Options
  • 12-08-2017 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

So which of these stouts do you prefer?I find Beamish to taste very weird.It finishes very bitter.Out of the two stouts brewed in Cork i find Murphys to be the best.But compared to Guinness i find Murphys to taste a bit weak and watery.I once did consider Guinness to be the devils buttermilk coming from Cork and all.:pac: But i think parochial pride should not come between enjoying a quality drink.Guinness is the only stout worth talking about really.The rest are mere pretenders to the throne.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Guinness Murphys Or Beamish 76 votes

Guinness
    0% 0 votes
    Murphys
    73% 56 votes
    Beamish
    26% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sure you're right, Guinness is the only Stout.

I don't favour any of that Cork ****e. They're still sour over Guinness breaking their gentleman's agreement and venturing into Cork when the company began growing at a rapid pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

To hell with the lot of them. Black Bushmills for the win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Guinness , but only 30 pints or more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I play it safe, an equal measure of each of the three into a pint glass. Shaken, not stirred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Sure you're right, Guinness is the only Stout.

I don't favour any of that Cork ****e. They're still sour over Guinness breaking their gentleman's agreement and venturing into Cork when the company began growing at a rapid pace.

Leave the chip on the shoulder at the door bud.;) Dublin might do better stout but that's the only thing it does better than Cork.;)

Edit:Oh right your from Tipp.Still sour after last Sunday and Cork beating you earlier in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Leave the chip on the shoulder at the door bud.;) Dublin might do better stout but that's the only thing it does better than Cork.;)

Do better football too you redneck southerner.

:D:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Go back to sleep for another few hours Deftlefthand.It's a bit early in the morning to be hitting the Clonmel chardonnay.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Lean Folláin ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I assume you're talking about gaa as the league table says quite different on the soccer front :pac:

Anyway, to the question at hand, I don't drink enough stout to be able to say. They're all "grand" in my experience. I've had some questionable pints of all of them.

I did have a pint of Murphys Red in Paris the other week, it was absolutely heavenly. I would have had a few more were they not €7 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What about O'Haras or Dungarvans? Of the 3 you listed beamish has most flavour, but O'Haras beats that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Porterhouse Plain for me. Far more flavour than the 3 you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Plain is lovely also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I usually drink Guinness, was in Cork last year and decided to drink Murphy. I didn't notice any difference, maybe I don't drink enough

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Up here in the NW, have only ever encountered one or two pubs selling Beamish, and none selling Murphys. Tried the Beamish one night and actually enjoyed it, was a lighter taste to found it a lighter taste to Guinness, handy if you didn't want heavy night of it.

Went to Cork for a weekend, and straight away seen the Beamish, and naturally ordered one, next round seen the Murphys a little further down the counter and was hooked for the weekend.

As long as you dont put black current in any of them though, would be happy enough with any of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Go back to sleep for another few hours Deftlefthand.It's a bit early in the morning to be hitting the Clonmel chardonnay.;)

Busking festival on there this weekend, more than a few Black Rock stouts will be sucked down there today....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Up here in the NW, have only ever encountered one or two pubs selling Beamish, and none selling Murphys. Tried the Beamish one night and actually enjoyed it, was a lighter taste to found it a lighter taste to Guinness, handy if you didn't want heavy night of it.

Went to Cork for a weekend, and straight away seen the Beamish, and naturally ordered one, next round seen the Murphys a little further down the counter and was hooked for the weekend.

As long as you dont put black current in any of them though, would be happy enough with any of the three.

stout and mint sauce, now there's a combo....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Heineken bought Beamish and set about creating a flawless copy of Guinness, a drink which has been made ever blander itself so it appeals to lager drinkers.

Stick the two of them in unmarked pint glasses and not even self-proclaimed Guinness experts can tell the difference.

All marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Probably Murphys, never liked Guinness and beamish gave me some awful s**ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Guinness is so bland it's ridiculous. It's popularity amazes me (though it's blandness is probably it selling point to the masses)

Not a huge Beamish fan but at least there's taste to it. Can't remember the last time I'd Murphy's.

Leann Follain my favourite stout but I've not tried all that many "fancy" ones

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The poll is incomplete. Should have a "I'd rather drink hemlock" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Beamish has a nice smokey hint in its flavour that trumps the slightly sour finish that I usually get in Guinness. It also doesn't vary as much in quality so I tend to opt for the Beamish if I have a choice unless I know the Guinness is very, very good in the whatever bar I am in.

Didn't think much of Murphys the few times I've tried it . Mind you, its been years since I have so should probably give it a lash again for curiosity's sake as your taste changes over the years (I couldn't stand stout until I was in my thirties).

None of the craft stouts I have tried have impressed me - they seem to try too hard flavour wise. If I am in the mood for something like that, I'll the whole hog and order an IPA or similar.

And the above only applies to the first, maybe second, pint of the evening. After that I could be drinking slops and not notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Both muck, moving on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Both muck, moving on.....

Well there's three options so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Treat yourself to this at some point. €6.20 for a 330ml

beer_347424.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

If I'd the choice of the three I'd take Murphy's. Taaffe's in Galway and Bobby Byrne's in Limerick serve nice ones! Most pubs I frequent only serve Guinness though, so I usually have to go with that.

I've been meaning to try stouts outside of the "Big 3" if you want to call them that. Must get around to it some time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beamish, although it's been years since I had one. I'll be in Ireland next week. Any recommendations for new stouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

xper wrote: »
    None of the craft stouts I have tried have impressed me - they seem to try too hard flavour wise.

Last thing you need food or drink to do is 'try too hard, flavour wise' alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

The drink snobs out in force like clockwork...might as well stamp "I am a c*nt" on your forehead. The man clearly gave a choice of three.

As a Cork man, I still have to pick Guinness. But give me a 473ml measure of Macgillicuddy Ruddy McLancashire O' Regan Dark Finest III 2.0 in hand carved glassware any day over that rubbish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Burial. wrote: »
    The drink snobs out in force like clockwork...might as well stamp "I am a c*nt" on your forehead. The man clearly gave a choice of three.

As a Cork man, I still have to pick Guinness. But give me a 473ml measure of Macgillicuddy Ruddy McLancashire O' Regan Dark Finest III 2.0 in hand carved glassware any day over that rubbish :rolleyes:

It's a choice of three different variations of urine, Mr Hobson.

Roll on the winter for Dungarvan's coffee and oatmeal stout. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

My vote's for The White Hag oatmeal chocolate stout, stuff's amazing.

But in it's absence I voted for Murphys.

Advertisement