Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you love Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Sorry? I must be living in a different country - the media is full on, and has been for years, about us having the most educated young people in the world, everybody loves the Irish, good Europeans, best scenery, best little country in the world to do business.....blah, blah, blah.

That's the media. Talk to anyone down the local pub though, and it's all moaning and complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

It's grand, and I have no intention of ever leaving.

The only thing I'd change is, I wish we were tougher on crime. Particularly things like home break-ins and assault. Vast swathes of the populace, for whatever reason, have no respect for law and order.

There is the attitude in Ireland of 'sure look at they guys at the top and what they got away with during the banking meltdown'

There is the attitude in Ireland of 'sure look at they guys at the top and what they got away with during the banking meltdown'

Agreed. The banking crisis continues to be used as a justification for all sorts of crappy behaviour. Some of our elected officials fan the flames as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everywhere has its pluses and minuses

Negatives that stand out for me are how people want others to fail it doesnt matter the situation, the only time this seems not to be the case is if they succeed to a position lower than themselfs
    Weather is horrible most of the time
    Ive never in my life heard the sentence "x person has notions about him/herself" before moving here
    Why does everything revolve around drink :confused:
    Very cliquey
    Positives are its easy to survive on social welfare as long as you dont smoke/drink a lot
    Its close to everywhere in europe
    Its handy enough to get a job

Im sure there is more in both categories

irishman86 wrote: »

Negatives that stand out for me are how people want others to fail it doesnt matter the situation, the only time this seems not to be the case is if they succeed to a position lower than themselfs
    Weather is horrible most of the time
    Ive never in my life heard the sentence "x person has notions about him/herself" before moving here
    Why does everything revolve around drink :confused:
    Very cliquey
    Positives are its easy to survive on social welfare as long as you dont smoke/drink a lot
    Its close to everywhere in europe
    Its handy enough to get a job

Im sure there is more in both categories

I hear this thing about Irish begrudgery constantly on here. Maybe I move in different circles, but I very rarely observe it in real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

(...)

My main beefs are

(...)

6. There was a huge influx of foreign workers who undercut us. (Of course they can afford to do it when 10 of them all live in the same bed)

(...)

Oi, I'm foreign, I certainly don't undercut any of you (you couldn't do my job anyway) and I sleep not only in my own bed, but in my own house!

Answering your question: I love Ireland, but sometimes the locals with that attitude go on my nerves.

My main beef here: The Irish more often than not complain about all and sundry and instead of doing something about their "beefs" they blame the foreigners, the media, the politicians, the system, the whatnot.
    And when there are people who try to change something or are at least protesting, the complaining continues about the lefties, the hippies, the liberals and all should stay as it was, because change is so scary.

You know, change and making life, society or country better starts in small steps, like questioning your attitude, thinking about what to do to make something better and so on. So get going instead of moaning.

Arrgh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Generally it's fine. Sometimes get myself into a "its all a load of twee Irish sh*te" moods.

I hear this thing about Irish begrudgery constantly on here. Maybe I move in different circles, but I very rarely observe it in real life

Could easily be the case buddy, Ive noticed it since leaving France ten+ years ago. There would have been guys i thought i was good friends with when any of our group of friends achieved any sort of success they would find any reason to put them down
    I stopped hanging around with that group after a while, but like you mentioned it depends on the circles you are in
    Ive seen it within families here, where one sister bid for a shop and got it, the other one has never hidden her disappointment that she succeeded in getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes and no, but mainly, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oceonsheist

irishman86 wrote: »

I have noticed something like this too, I was not sure if it was born out of jelousy of insecurity or what. People very quick to attempt to belittle others achievements in some way or another.

• Advertisement

Yes, wouldn't even contemplate liviing anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Ireland is a great wee country on the whole. I wouldn't consider living anywhere else, even dislike leaving the shores for holidays etc.

And what of those who choose to or are obliged to emigrate - they spend a lot of their time looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oceonsheist

Carry wrote: »
    Oi, I'm foreign, I certainly don't undercut any of you (you couldn't do my job anyway) and I sleep not only in my own bed, but in my own house!

Answering your question: I love Ireland, but sometimes the locals with that attitude go on my nerves.

My main beef here: The Irish more often than not complain about all and sundry and instead of doing something about their "beefs" they blame the foreigners, the media, the politicians, the system, the whatnot.
    And when there are people who try to change something or are at least protesting, the complaining continues about the lefties, the hippies, the liberals and all should stay as it was, because change is so scary.

You know, change and making life, society or country better starts in small steps, like questioning your attitude, thinking about what to do to make something better and so on. So get going instead of moaning.

Arrgh ...

Yes. My comment about foreigners was over the top, sorry...
    And a bit of a humorous exaggeration (about 10 living in the same bed)
    However I have known so many that do what I mentioned.
    It sounds like you have established a life in Ireland, however there are others who come for a quick buck and don't mind living like slaves until they return home.

And why do you say I could not do your job?

"The Irish more often than not complain about"
    You are agreeing with me on that point. I am not a negative person but it kind of rubs off you in a contagious way when constantly surrounded by it.

"So get going instead of moaning"
    I work 10 - 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I am simply putting across what I have noticed and asking other peoples opinions on it. I don't view it so much as moaning.

I have noticed something like this too, I was not sure if it was born out of jelousy of insecurity or what. People very quick to attempt to belittle others achievements in some way or another.

It is the thing that i really dont like about Ireland being totally honest
    One of my friends married a Italian girl and all i heard being said was mockingly "he couldnt find himself a nice Irish girl"
    I'm guessing similar comments were ushered about my partner when I rocked up in town :pac:
    For me being negative about others experiences/achievements is an attempt to build themselves up when all i hear is Im a insecure prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I love Ireland but there is way too much corruption expecially amongst the Gardai. Putting the Roman Catholic church on the sidelines was also a superb improvement. I will never leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes. There's pros and cons but out of all the places I've lived in and travelled to, Dublin is hard to beat. If only we were tougher on crime and had better infrastructure ( Transport and healthcare) it would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I love Ireland but i despise Irish politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes I do. Ireland has been very good to me and given me opportunities that would not be possible elsewhere. We also have some of the best people out there, we have a positive attitude and a great sense of humour. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I love the physical country but not the nation we are but I guess that's the fault of successive governments. As a nation we pander to anyone and everyone except our own. It appears to me everyone else is looked after over and above the people who built this country and who have always lived here. It sickens me the way the ordinary hard working people are shít on from a high on a constant basis.

Carry wrote: »

Arrgh ...

What is so unique about your job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Ah I could think of better places I'd rather be..

I love the physical country but not the nation we are but I guess that's the fault of successive governments. As a nation we pander to anyone and everyone except our own. It appears to me everyone else is looked after over and above the people who built this country and who have always lived here. It sickens me the way the ordinary hard working people are shít on from a high on a constant basis.

There's plenty of ordinary hard working people who haven't always lived here too. What exactly are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Logo

I love Ireland and working here and I have no difficulty with my non-Irish religious neighbours who don't have employment and never seem to get out of bed. Maybe they're being religious in procreating - and making up for my stirile sperm. Meanwhile it's costing me 150euro a visit to check my swimmers. Maybe I should be more religious and throw the leg over without any responsibility for the consequences...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Logo wrote: »
    I love Ireland and working here and I have no difficulty with my non-Irish religious neighbours who don't have employment and never seem to get out of bed. Maybe they're being religious in procreating - and making up for my stirile sperm. Meanwhile it's costing me 150euro a visit to check my swimmers. Maybe I should be more religious and throw the leg over without any responsibility for the consequences...

Thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nope hate it if I were not half dead from so much illness I'd be anywhere else than this kip of a country. Well maybe not America or Isis or North Korea or Sudan, no wait forget I said anything I luv this country it's the best we've got, **** my life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I love Ireland.

I've lived abroad and the grass is rarely greener on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for letting us know.

Do you have a problem with people who might want to parent responsibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

What is so unique about your job?

I write books and essays in German.
    Not unique where I come from, but it's certainly not a job I took away from any Irish person.

Logo wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with people who might want to parent responsibly?

You clearly have a problem with people having kids

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Once you liver in a different western country you come to realise what a corrupt little backwater it is. Its the regular joe soaps who make ireland a good place. Everything else is below par

Advertisement