Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you love Ireland?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I don't want to sound so unpatriotic.

But I love Ireland, I really do.

It has a few problems but ah sure it could be worse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't want to sound so unpatriotic. I think Ireland is a beautiful country, there are lots of things i do like but to be honest keep getting pissed off on a daily basis and the negatives outweighing the positives for me.

My main beefs are

1. High rental prices

2. Negative people who surround me (i don't blame them too much.. but trust me i get a heap of negativity constantly thrown at me on a daily basis I have become a negative potato)

3. I don't like somethings in the health system. Visit to the local GP for me always involves disclosing my private details to the staff in the waiting room where everyone can hear unless I bend over & whisper. Couldn't they just ask me to fill in a goddamn form or something.

4. Work Pay can be utterly rubbish if you fall of the ladder or don't climb fast enough.

5. Weather questionable lot of time

6. There was a huge influx of foreign workers who undercut us. (Of course they can afford to do it when 10 of them all live in the same bed)

7. Was never on Jobseekers allowance yet, but if I was I don't know how could live on 100 euro a week and smile in the morning.

8. If you want to take a getaway holiday for a few days in Dublin you could easily drop a thousand at least.

People spending 2 hours commuting to work, dealing with grumpy soabs all day, coming home to grumpy soab's. Getting twisted drunk at the weekend dreading Monday again. Thousands homeless, people getting thrown out of their homes by banks daily.

Don't get me wrong, if I had money coming out of my eyeballs I guess I could be quite happy here. But right now I really don't know.
    I love Ireland but it seems anti people... House prices... Rent... Transport... Wages.. Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's grand. We might be called whingers for complaining but I like the fact that we do. The country's far from perfect but at least we admit it and don't have that whole US "We are the greatest country in the world".

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I don't want to sound so unpatriotic. I think Ireland is a beautiful country, there are lots of things i do like but to be honest keep getting pissed off on a daily basis and the negatives outweighing the positives for me.

My main beefs are

1. High rental prices

2. Negative people who surround me (i don't blame them too much.. but trust me i get a heap of negativity constantly thrown at me on a daily basis I have become a negative potato)

3. I don't like somethings in the health system. Visit to the local GP for me always involves disclosing my private details to the staff in the waiting room where everyone can hear unless I bend over & whisper. Couldn't they just ask me to fill in a goddamn form or something.

4. Work Pay can be utterly rubbish if you fall of the ladder or don't climb fast enough.

5. Weather questionable lot of time

6. There was a huge influx of foreign workers who undercut us. (Of course they can afford to do it when 10 of them all live in the same bed)

7. Was never on Jobseekers allowance yet, but if I was I don't know how could live on 100 euro a week and smile in the morning.

8. If you want to take a getaway holiday for a few days in Dublin you could easily drop a thousand at least.

People spending 2 hours commuting to work, dealing with grumpy soabs all day, coming home to grumpy soab's. Getting twisted drunk at the weekend dreading Monday again. Thousands homeless, people getting thrown out of their homes by banks daily.

Don't get me wrong, if I had money coming out of my eyeballs I guess I could be quite happy here. But right now I really don't know.

Here we go again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

No. I definitely don't love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Starts a thread with 8 negative points about Ireland... Hmm. Doctor heal thy self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yes but it needs a forced reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

It might be the time to emigrate then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Great place....Its no better or worse than many other modern societies more or less.
    No point giving out about it too much....hardly North Korea or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

One of the safest, most prosperous and equitable countries in the world. Consistently ranked as one of the best countries in the world in which to live, with extremely high quality of life metrics. Billions of people would give their left arm to live in a place like this.

Quit your moaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grayson wrote: »
    It's grand. We might be called whingers for complaining but I like the fact that we do. The country's far from perfect but at least we admit it and don't have that whole US "We are the greatest country in the world".

Sorry? I must be living in a different country - the media is full on, and has been for years, about us having the most educated young people in the world, everybody loves the Irish, good Europeans, best scenery, best little country in the world to do business.....blah, blah, blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ireland is fine. Has some glaring flaws but has its highlights too. I feel anyone who is extremely in love with the place or hates the place is a bit of a fruit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I like Ireland but I suppose I'm biased as I receive 1.5 Mil a year after tax.

I wish I was on that much money but even though I'm not I still like Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It'd be a lovely country if you could only roof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oceonsheist

One of the safest, most prosperous and equitable countries in the world. Consistently ranked as one of the best countries in the world in which to live, with extremely high quality of life metrics. Billions of people would give their left arm to live in a place like this.

Quit your moaning.

Which drugs are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Most of your points could refer to any Western nation these days.

Starts a thread with 8 negative points about Ireland... Hmm. Doctor heal thy self

Did you even read what I said....

I do. I'm lucky to have been born here.

Which drugs are you on?

The opium of facts and figures. But I hear the feels is a great high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Which drugs are you on?

The natural high of life, pal. Take off the sunglasses of negativity and have a good look at reality.

Ireland is not without its flaws, but utopia has never existed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP, don't take the people in the RTE TV / radio Ads to heart so much. That's all really.

Did you even read what I said....

Yes I read your 8 point whinge with supplemental whinging at the bottom. Did the whinging at the bottom not make the cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Billions of people would give their left arm to live in a place like this.

Quit your moaning.

Ah come on tho - I know what you mean tho but he's not asking billions of people. I think it's a fair question to ask - how good is Ireland to live in relative to the rest of the Western world.

I love certain aspects of Ireland, but I think it could do better for sure. While it is generally safe etc., I think there are plenty of safer places. I'd have no problem walking down Langstrasse in Zurich at 4am but not sure I would do the same in Dublin

We should pay our educators more too. Our education was first class once upon a time but I think it is standing still and being overtaken. Class sizes are too large.

Public transport is awful...even in Dublin...esp. in Dublin.

The never-ending housing crisis is a desperate state of affairs too.

I'd have no problems moving back to Ireland if I had do, but I don't and I won't.

Yes I read your 8 point whinge with supplemental whinging at the bottom. Did the whinging at the bottom not make the cut?

ok pick & choose only the words that you want, never mind the bit where I already admitted becoming negative. Just state the obvious while you are at it.

That's fine.

ok pick & choose only the words that you want, never mind the bit where I already admitted becoming negative. Just state the obvious while you are at it.

That's fine.
    I'm just highlighting your contradictory stance of complaining about negative people while being one of those people yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

Quit your moaning.

Do you honestly believe that our already overwhelmed health service has the capacity to deal with that many amputees? FFS, get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mosstin wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that our already overwhelmed health service has the capacity to deal with that many amputees? FFS, get a grip.

I think there are enough trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's be a lovely country if you could only roof it.

Christ I hate that stupid statement. Bit long in the tooth now isn't it?

It's grand, and I have no intention of ever leaving.

The only thing I'd change is, I wish we were tougher on crime. Particularly things like home break-ins and assault. Vast swathes of the populace, for whatever reason, have no respect for law and order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To be attached to the subdivision, to love the little platoon we belong to in society, is the first principle (the germ as it were) of public affections. It is the first link in the series by which we proceed towards a love to our country, and to mankind."
    - Edmund Burke

I love my part of Dublin, I love Dublin, I love Ireland and I love the world... but certainly there's lot of things about it I don't *like*.

Wanting to fix its problems shows how much you care maybe?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement