Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of The mystery train with John Kelly

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

Expunge wrote: »
    I think it was Helen Shaw who axed The Mystery Train (and possibly gave the Liveline gig to Joe Duffy), not Ana Leddy.

Her company, Athena Media, makes commissioned programmes for the national broadcaster and she is on the board of the Arts Council.

No Helen Shaw was long gone when the mystery train was axed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Basal wrote: »
    No Helen Shaw was long gone when the mystery train was axed

Apologies, it was indeed Anna Leddy. The memory is failing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ah, RTE, you do make me wonder, ye really do.

John Kelly on the radio lyric at same time as The John Creedon show.

Why take a God and place him in competition with a nudder God?

Why?

WHY????

AND Blue of the Night has become 'lyric-through-the-night' ie all standard classical music. ie, Cheap.

ETA. Ok, seems to have picked up a bit tonight from 10ish.

But this doesnt resolve the John V John issue!

ArtSmart wrote: »
    AND Blue of the Night has become 'lyric-through-the-night' ie all standard classical music. ie, Cheap.

ETA. Ok, seems to have picked up a bit tonight from 10ish.

But this doesnt resolve the John V John issue!

Ok, so tonight 'Blue' is good.

But well, the john v john remains unresolved.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Mystery Train so far. Haven't listened to the Blue of the Night since Carl left, and it fills a similar but more mainstream hole.

I do wish there was an alternative to Marty - still find his brand of banter too irritating for the morning (the flirting with AA Roadwatch, Hugo, incessant Nevin Maguire). Something with quiet gentle music to wake up slowly to.
    Yeah, the flirting wit the young girl is hugely off-putting.

ETA. Also, Carl a massive loss. Current guy (tonight anyway 6oct 17) is pretty good, has to be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Expunge wrote: »
    So, a show deemed a failure over a decade ago on Radio 1 is to be revived but on lyric???

I'm glad Kelly is moving off the daytime coz he's crap and makes zero effort but this means no more Lyric Concert, I presume.

And now talk of Rick O Shea coming to Lyric and reports of the ailing Gay Byrne demanding a gig?

And of course the daily train wreck that is Marty in the Morning.

For fecks sake! The national arts and classical music channel is little more than a state funded dustbin for the has beens and never weres.

Ah here,for me at any rate,Gay Byrne's Sunday Afternoon Jukebox show was a real Gem.

I would never class myself as a Gay Byrne "Fan",but in Irish Broadcasting terms his contribution,and lifetime in the game,all count for something a tad more than the likes of Dil Wickremasinghe's decade of never ending "celebrations" of minority issues on Newstalk.

On his Lyric Sunday Show,He was a totally different presenter than in his other roles,and his liking for,and knowledge of the Jazz,Blues,Swing genre's certainly came across to me.

Give me a couple of hours of Benny Goodman/Art Blakey or Josef Locke (:)) ahead of never ending tales of oppression,misery and various ,ism's anyday :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I respect the man and his achievements as Ireland's most successful broadcaster, no question for me.

But his Sunday afternoon Jukebox was far from a Jukebox.
    He could never shut up! What Kathleen and Gay got up to this week.
    I also respect the fact that he brought his love for Grandad Jazz to the show, except he ended up playing Daniel O'Donnell sometimes - and Aonghus McAnally doing an impression of Christy Hennessey!

Like much of the Lyric output, it was a mess of a show. But fronted by our greatest broadcaster. It was only on Lyric because of Lyric's status as the dustbin for presenters and format not wanted elsewhere. And no RTE middle manager was going to tell Gaybo he's not wanted.

Anyway, October has come and there's no sign of him , so I guess he's not well enough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Loving this show! The guy has got a great ear for a chune. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I listen to the first hour and switch over to Creedon at 8.
    An hour of Kelly's dreadful elevator muzak is more than enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I listen to the first hour and switch over to Creedon at 8.
    An hour of Kelly's dreadful elevator muzak is more than enough for me.

I accept that John Kelly is not for everyone but I have never heard any of his chosen tracks in an elevator or lift for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I accept that John Kelly is not for everyone but I have never heard any of his chosen tracks in an elevator or lift for that matter.

Perhaps Elmer is referring to the 13th Floor Elevators.

I've never been in an elevator that played music. What kinds of fancy-ass elevators are you guys taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I've never been in an elevator that played music. What kinds of fancy-ass elevators are you guys taking?

Some retail outlets pipe their music into elevators & even toilets. Others may have cut back due to IMRA costs. The chosen soundtrack is usually very bland & appealing to a very wide audience something that Mystery Train choices would not generally be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Michael D higgins is co hosting the show with jk on new years day, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This track from the comet is coming is heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

The memory of what it was like keeps me checking in.
    Over the last six months he has slowly moved away from decent indie to obscure pfaffers.
    Then there was a period where he played Kamasi Washington every evening. Oh sweet divine
    Now he is on this trip with spoken lyrics against a musical background that last for 10 mins. And all that 70’s style funk music!!!

Well, it wasn’t too bad this evening at all at all.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    The memory of what it was like keeps me checking in.
    Over the last six months he has slowly moved away from decent indie to obscure pfaffers.
    Then there was a period where he played Kamasi Washington every evening. Oh sweet divine
    Now he is on this trip with spoken lyrics against a musical background that last for 10 mins. And all that 70’s style funk music!!!

I wonder is that John Kelly's choice or is management interfering?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wonder is that John Kelly's choice or is management interfering?

He’s home alone in his attic. No management about to interfere.

• Advertisement

No point in me starting a new thread just for this post and it's kinda relevant here...

This 'RTE Concert Orchestra Presents' is the absolute business. It should become a regular feature: gives a rare bit of work to the orchestras, give support and exposure to Irish artists, and Cathal Murray is doing a great job of presenting

The last one I saw was for the Beatles. I enjoyed it, with James Vincent McMorrow, the girl from I think little green cars; the both sang a few songs. The girl from the Corrs sang one song and the guy from hothouse flowers sang one and mangled another, but that’s live for you. It was great to see the orchestra playing and I wondered if it was difficult for them to play distanced from each other and if the music sounded different because of it.
    I must keep an eye out for them again. I hadn’t noticed them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Cathal Murray is great at what he does. He's a highlight of Radio 1, along with Creedo, for me.

Great guy to engage on the air as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

John Kelly said last night it would be his last show of the year.

I think Peter Curtin might be filling in next week, he's decent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Peter is great when he fills in! Absolute no nonsense..."that was, this is" and cracking tunes to boot. Himself and Bernard on the blue of the night make up the majority of my Shazam's, and at times even that struggles to keep up with him. Great voyage of discovery!

Advertisement