Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of The mystery train with John Kelly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭School Socks

Rumour is Rick O shea to get afternoons on Lyric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

So, a show deemed a failure over a decade ago on Radio 1 is to be revived but on lyric???

I'm glad Kelly is moving off the daytime coz he's crap and makes zero effort but this means no more Lyric Concert, I presume.

And now talk of Rick O Shea coming to Lyric and reports of the ailing Gay Byrne demanding a gig?

And of course the daily train wreck that is Marty in the Morning.

For fecks sake! The national arts and classical music channel is little more than a state funded dustbin for the has beens and never weres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

what type of show is the The mystery train

Mr Snow wrote: »

Kind of a broad church music show, not too different from the John Creedon show but less mainstream tracks.

Mr Snow wrote: »

Yes, similar to the JC Show with a host who's self consciously 'cool', afraid of being found out as a bit of a chancer and doesn't have the same sunny and charming disposition as Creedon.
    And, it seems both shows will overlap.

What is the ****ing point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Expunge wrote: »
    Yes, similar to the JC Show with a host who's self consciously 'cool', afraid of being found out as a bit of a chancer and doesn't have the same sunny and charming disposition as Creedon.
    And, it seems both shows will overlap.

What is the ****ing point?

That's a fair assessment. Kelly always comes across as a bit of a self-regarding muso. Creedon's show strikes a far better balance between playing obscure stuff with some radio friendly requests thrown in. There's no doubt that Creedon is a serious musichead himself, but his show is far more approachable. He also has a lovely manner about him.

Strange to have the two shows clashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is it going to be on radio 1 or lyric

Is it going to be on radio 1 or lyric

Lyric. Sunday to Thursday 7-9 pm, according to RTÉ.ie

There was a lot of online upset at the time in Summer 06 when the mystery train got axed, there was a big save the mystery train MySpace campaign at the time. It is rather bizarre to bring it back now, 11 years later when it has been long forgotten and having it on what is meant to be a classical music station is equally bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm usually driving between 7 and 8. I'll proably give it a listen from 7 as very little on "Arena" interests me. When I get home around 8 it'll be Creedon as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've never been able to stomach John Kelly. Self-satisfied doesn't do him justice.

As above, this is good news across the board. Shunting JK off to 7-9 means Lyric should remain a safe harbour from the dross on other stations during the day without the dread that I might accidentally switch over to John Kelly's I'm-so-hipster-listen-to-this-Transnistrian-mesolithic-nasal-singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Cant wait: Just heard the ad on Lyric. An absolute classic, didnt know it was a failure - I always loved it - genuinely found it to be more listenable than anything else on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

Tonight's the night. The Lyric concert is moving to Midnight, that's going to annoy classical music fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

Good to have it back - I don't like everything he plays, some of it I hate, but you're guaranteed to take away something from it you didn't know you liked. Tonight was LCD Soundsystem, Broken Social Scene and Allen Toussaint. Hope it does well.

This question is why didn't they just allow him do the mystery train on lyric since 11 years ago like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

he mentioned something about "this type of music is what got us in trouble" on Tuesday night
    Would they stop the show because of complaints?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

dball wrote: »
    he mentioned something about "this type of music is what got us in trouble" on Tuesday night
    Would they stop the show because of complaints?????????

He would have been joking about that. In any case experience shows that Lyric management have little or no concern for what listeners think, its all about numbers for them. The formula is simply to get the maximum number of listeners for the lowest cost.
    I'm sure there are some people who aren't happy about hearing drums and electric guitars on Lyric but I would expect that even being up against Creedon the Mystery Train will be a success.

IMO its been great listening so far, the time slot could be better for me so have been listening on their radio player. The stream doesn't sound great off Android, does anyone know what bitrate they are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Loving the first week of this show.. have listened to it all week.. Great mix of music.. I know some music snobs will be offended but I cannot think of any other station were this show would fit..

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Loving the first week of this show.. have listened to it all week.. Great mix of music.. I know some music snobs will be offended but I cannot think of any other station were this show would fit..

It's hard to believe that it used to be on Today FM

Basal wrote: »

Today FM is unrecognizable today compared to years gone by.. it has been bitten by the 2FM bug..

• Advertisement

Today FM is unrecognizable today compared to years gone by.. it has been bitten by the 2FM bug..

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

We heard you the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

called the Eclectic Ballroom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Donal Dineen had a better show on Today FM. Not a pretentious insufferable chancer like Kelly either.
    Lyric is farce at this stage.

Radio 1?

Today FM?

2XM?

Flicking around the dial last night, there are a lot of shams pushing eclectic shows, like it was 1998, between Creedon, Kelly and McLoon. The Mystery Train on Lyric is followed by Blue of the Night with, guess what? More 'eclectic' musical posturing.

What's wrong with an evening concert of mainstream classical music on the station set up and funded to do so?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm enjoying Mystery Train so far. Haven't listened to the Blue of the Night since Carl left, and it fills a similar but more mainstream hole.

I do wish there was an alternative to Marty - still find his brand of banter too irritating for the morning (the flirting with AA Roadwatch, Hugo, incessant Nevin Maguire). Something with quiet gentle music to wake up slowly to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Mystery Train so far. Haven't listened to the Blue of the Night since Carl left, and it fills a similar but more mainstream hole.

I do wish there was an alternative to Marty - still find his brand of banter too irritating for the morning (the flirting with AA Roadwatch, Hugo, incessant Nevin Maguire). Something with quiet gentle music to wake up slowly to.

I'll give the mystery train a go. I am more into Classical music myself and its great that you can access the UK's Classic FM and BBC Radio Three on the internet. Tip: if you get a message on their website saying sorry its for UK listeners only just tap in any UK postcode and you are in. This arises if using a desktop , not with the stations' mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I remember the last Midnight Train all those years ago and the sadness and sense of disbelief tuning in. From memory a few high profile artists called in (unsolicited) to pay their respects, one of whom included Bono. Of course, that will only confirm to lots of people why they hated it so much, the sense of cool, the pretentiousness etc. So it goes anyway.

But when they talk about the show as a failure, do they mean listenership figures or something else entirely? For me, the real failure was Radio One director, Ana Leddy, whose other decisions included the firing of Donal Dineen, the very popular Arts Show, Val Joyce and Vincent Browne. In their stead she promoted the likes of Derek Mooney and Joe Duffy. Dumbing down was her middle name. I don't think she lasted long in the job.

I guess I'm glad its back but it doesn't lessen the anger that it was taken away at its peak. They probably could have changed the name because I believe things rarely work so well second time around.

• Advertisement

I think it was Helen Shaw who axed The Mystery Train (and possibly gave the Liveline gig to Joe Duffy), not Ana Leddy.

Her company, Athena Media, makes commissioned programmes for the national broadcaster and she is on the board of the Arts Council.

Advertisement