Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum justitia

Options
  • 11-08-2017 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

So I left the country for a while back in match and I've only come back now , forgetting all about a bill I owed little woods , I've returned to Ireland about a week ago , and gave got a call from these justitia crowd followed my a letter which I have to say the language was quite threatening snd agressive lol , and there looking for the entire sum off me by Monday , now it's only 150 Euro but I don't have 150 Euro by Monday , have yet to go back to work since returning home , so I've emailed them about a plan where I can pay weekly over 30 days or something , anyone know what my chances of getting that to work are ?
    Bearing in mind I only owe the money 6 months I felt it was a little soon to be involving debt collection companies lol

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Offer to pay over 30 days, they will most likely accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Don't worry - call them. Tell them it was an oversight because you were away, tell them it will be cleared by mid spetember.

Usually with the right tone and talking to a real person, its all fine.

The letters are fairly standard and there to frighten the cohort of people who try and scam these companies.

Usually they pass non paying debts over after 3 months too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Yes they have. It's in their terms and conditions and also they state that they are acting on behalf of littlewoods.

It's incorrect information such as yours that causes headaches further down the road for people when a phonecall will sort it out to everyone's satisfaction within minutes

• Advertisement

Read littlewoods t&cs. The debt is owed, they can use a third party to collect.

Fairly standard in credit t&cs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nothing mentioned nor would it be about Littlewoods selling their debt on their t&c's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

RasTa wrote: »
    Nothing mentioned nor would it be about Littlewoods selling their debt on their t&c's

I suggest you read it again.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/content/slots/privacy-terms.page#credit

Warning
    Missing payments may mean your account is passed to a debt collection agency and may result in legal action being taken. We may also give details to credit reference agencies, you may find it harder to obtain credit in future.

OP just contact Littlewoods or Intrum and discuss it with them.

@OP

From the same webpage.

13. Problems with Repayments and Complaints.
    If at any time you have problems keeping up with your repayments or are worried you might have a problem keeping up with your repayments then

(1) Contact our Collections Team on 01 811 2222; they will help you work out a payment plan to suit your situation.

I suggest you read it again.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/content/slots/privacy-terms.page#credit

Warning
    Missing payments may mean your account is passed to a debt collection agency and may result in legal action being taken. We may also give details to credit reference agencies, you may find it harder to obtain credit in future.

OP just contact Littlewoods or Intrum and discuss it with them.

It says your details are passed on and nothing about the debt being sold so if not, IJ have no legal standpoint.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    It says your details are passed on and nothing about the debt being sold so if not, IJ have no legal standpoint.

Read it again, it says "your account" not "your details"

Read it again, it says "your account" not "your details"

Yeah, IJ could be acting on behalf of littlewoods. This is what we need to find out and the t&c's don't state this.

The OP accepts that the money is owed, they should simply offer a payment plan and stick to it.

Incidentally they should have notified Littlewoods about change of address etc (it's in the conditions). Had they done so, this would probably never have got to the current situation.

Bull, complete and utter bull.

Ij can, on instructions from their client (littlewoods as per littlewoods terms and conditions) act as a collecting agent and if necessary, again on instructions of their client, initiate legal action on behalf of their client.

The client's name will be on any legal paperwork, but ij may act on behalf of littlewoods.

Its called outsourcing.

Why don't you point to the law prohibiting third party debt collection agencies?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1995/act/24/section/40/enacted/en/html#sec40
    40.—Where a creditor's or owner's rights under an agreement are assigned to a third person, the consumer shall be entitled to plead against that third person any defence which was available to him against the original creditor including set-off.

That seems to acknowledge that debts can be transferred? With the proviso that the consumer isn't adversely affected.

What legislation can you quote to prove otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Why don't you point to the law prohibiting third party debt collection agencies?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1995/act/24/section/40/enacted/en/html#sec40

That seems to acknowledge that debts can be transferred? With the proviso that the consumer isn't adversely affected.

What legislation can you quote to prove otherwise?

But in that case the debt collection agency has to have all the details of the original debt and can't make a case without it.

When challenged the debt collection agencies don't have the full details of the original debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my3cents wrote: »
    But in that case the debt collection agency has to have all the details of the original debt and can't make a case without it.

When challenged the debt collection agencies don't have the full details of the original debt.

The legislation allows assigning of rights to the third party for the purpose of pursuit of a debt. The agency thus can chase the debt but not own it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The legislation allows assigning of rights to the third party for the purpose of pursuit of a debt. The agency thus can chase the debt but not own it.

But to do that they need the full particulars which they don't have.

If I was to challenge a case brought against me on a detail say that I hadn't paid because of a dispute then how can the debt collection agency pursue the case if they don't have the full file?

Edit> In case we are at cross purposes the agency can chase the debt all they like but without the full details of the debt they aren't in a good position to take you to court and they know that.

As you say they can ask, and if payment isn't made then possibly advise Littlewoods to escalate further, which may result in additional costs to the OP.

Perhaps that was why payment needed to be made by Monday, Littlewoods APR is about 40%.

For €150 there is no point in going to court, but if the debt increases it would eventually become worthwhile.

I fail to understand why some here seem to be almost advising the OP not to pay anything. As if the debt will just disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Also they have no write access to the ICB. I know the Central Bank is setting up a new database and whether SD/Littlewoods will have access to that I don't know but it was never in the t&c the OP signed up for.

Also they have no write access to the ICB. I know the Central Bank is setting up a new database and whether SD/Littlewoods will have access to that I don't know but it was never in the t&c the OP signed up for.

Read them again
    Warning

True, but it's not the only agency

• Advertisement

Advertisement