Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me - New Tesco Ad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Not just you. Someone was saying that their Clubcard points came with this spiel about how people don't shop for themselves, they shop for their family. Single people don't exist, apparently. No big deal, but strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there are 2 types of adverts here, one that bigs up their target group and the other that does it at the expense of another group. The advert might be a bit grating but its not running anyone down.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why are you watching ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is it just me or is this thread title a bit click baity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well i said it one person and they agreed with me, but another person said no its lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

My immediate family are all dead and I have to change channels every time this ad comes on. I am aware my situation is highly unfortunate so I don't feel this ad should be taken off the air or anything. Absolutely dreading the Christmas ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Is it just me or is the OP a bit hypersensitive and a tad miserable?

Dear Tesco, I'm offended by your posititive portrayal of happy families and demand that you ammend the ad to include at least one represention of miserable gits shuffling down the isle in Tesco shopping for meals for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

conorhal wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the OP a bit hypersensitive and a tad miserable?

Dear Tesco, I'm offended by your posititive portrayal of happy families and demand that you ammend the ad to include at least one represention of miserable gits shuffling down the isle in Tesco shopping for meals for one.

A no happy single people go shopping as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

By definition people buying for families will spend more so target your advertising towards them not the single person who buys a tin of cat food for their cat and a microwave meal for one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Amy33 wrote: »
    My immediate family are all dead and I have to change channels every time this ad comes on. I am aware my situation is highly unfortunate so I don't feel this ad should be taken off the air or anything. Absolutely dreading the Christmas ads!

escalated-Quicklly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes it's just you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Jesus christ that poem is cringey. "A belly that miraculously grew"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is a bit trivial :p but,

Is it only me that finds the current tesco ad, life with family irritating and smug and a very romantic view of family life, let alone the fact that it excludes single people or those without family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD81cKqCKy8

The poem is particularly cringe

http://food-and-community.tesco.ie/home/supporting-local-communities/how-we-support-ireland/family-makes-us-better?sc_cmp=ppc*sl*me*bg*px_-_campaign_not_set*tesco%20family

Or maybe its just me.

Not just you. I felt the same.

Amy33 wrote: »

I just watched it there and I can see how it could be a tough watch for someone in your position. I'm sure Christmas is tough, it's tough for everyone who's lost someone, never mind everyone. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Time for a tesco boycott, you can call it SSCCATAGAT

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is a bit trivial :p but,

Is it only me that finds the current tesco ad, life with family irritating and smug and a very romantic view of family life, let alone the fact that it excludes single people or those without family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD81cKqCKy8

The poem is particularly cringe

http://food-and-community.tesco.ie/home/supporting-local-communities/how-we-support-ireland/family-makes-us-better?sc_cmp=ppc*sl*me*bg*px_-_campaign_not_set*tesco%20family

Or maybe its just me.

There has always been and always will be those who understandably feel left out during the holiday season. Nothing else in our culture is at all comparable to those three weeks (or more depending on where you think of the holidays as beginning and ending. It’s no longer just a religious season — in theory, if not always in practice, it’s a cultural-wide celebration of family and friends and it’s inevitable that those without these or who are bereaved will find it a difficult time. I think we all need to make an effort to be sensitive to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I feel the same. The ad makes me me feel excluded and inadequate.

Sure, that's my problem not Tesco's, and purely down to my own failings to be affected by an ad - but that's the truth. If that makes me over sensitive or miserable then I guess I'll have to accept it. It's the first time I've ever felt "affected" by an ad. I love Christmas and Christmas ads, never bothered by any of them. There's something particular about this ad.

Of course I can just switch it off and it's no big deal, easily remedied, hardly the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The ad annoys me but because I think it's sappy, and I fail to see how it has anything remotely to do with Tesco. Bah humbug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

RWCNT wrote: »
    Jesus christ that poem is cringey. "A belly that miraculously grew"

I've got one of them and I'm not even female. :)

I find the ad very annoying, not because of the focus on the traditional nuclear family, but the suggestion of touchy feely, we're-all-about-you horsesh1t that so many adverts seem to push nowadays. "Here for you" "All about you", and the worst offender..."Your ____, Your way". Aaaaarrghh.

I'm waiting for someone like the Blackrock Clinic to do an ad along the lines of "Your appendectomy, your way". "Great, I'd like you to make the incision on the other side, please..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Delighted not to have a TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

alberto67 wrote: »
    Delighted not to have a TV...

Watch yourself there at the edge...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

there is a big Tesco billboard add on my way to work. all about how family is great. id like to get a giant marker and write across it, families can also be complicated, hard work and down right exhausting...... fact !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Omackeral wrote: »
    Watch yourself there at the edge...

I will, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

storker wrote: »

I'm waiting for someone like the Blackrock Clinic to do an ad along the lines of "Your appendectomy, your way". "Great, I'd like you to make the incision on the other side, please..."

They're already made on the other side of the appendix for risk of rupturing it if they were to be made above. (There are a couple of other incisions on the midline of the body too.)

Then they fly accross your belly and whip it out. You wake up with a pipe up your knob which they'd put there so that they can kee your bladder empty during surgery for fear of puncturing it, something they forget to tell you going in so that when you wake up after surgery and you feel like going for a piss and then aiddenly you don't you're an it freaked out.

True story.

Also there's probably a good reason I'm not in marketing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What's the bit about unwashed hair?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hello AH's, I don't often broach your way, but I just so happened to see this ad tonight and really liked it. For starters, the cringy 'poem' is the voice-over on the ad, it might lose it's way without seeing the ad itself. Secondly I am not sure what the OP linked too, but the actual ad itself is below.

In relation to being smug and romantic, there is a lot in this ad that is not so peaceful, couples arguing, kids crying, parents sitting up worried. It also asks you to picture your family, so while it mostly has kids, there are other types included, including some old dude with his dog, and a son with his senior father. We have all been a son or daughter at some stage.

Taking offence to this reminds me of an article that someone tried to push my way a few years back that asked people to consider women without kids at Christmas. To be considerate towards these type of people who may feel that the promotion of Christmas was an unfair attack on their lifestyle, with the focus on kids and Santa at that time of year. Yeah, I'll take a note of that....

You could take any type of product and find a group that may not be able to use it or could be offended by it. Sportswear and people with disabilities, sugary drinks and diabetics, cars and people who can't obtain a driving licence. Utter madness, but I think you get my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Is the link in the op to the Chinese family ad correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think it sums up the bittersweet symphony that is family life very well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Time for a tesco boycott, you can call it SSCCATAGAT

Even though that's a reference from a really **** episode of the Simpsons it deserved a thanks for you having remembered it.

Advertisement