Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street or Henry Street

Options
  • 10-08-2017 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

I guess it's a question for both Dubs and non Dubs but which area do you prefer to shop in?I personally prefer Henry Street myself.You have the Ilac and Jervis Street centre's, Arnotts, Debenhams and Ann's Bakery.:pac: Grafton Street is nice as well but there's not much there for me retail wise apart from Hodges Figgis bookstore and Tower Records on nearby Dawson Street.I just prefer Henry Street.It's not as crowded as Grafton Street and for me i think it has a better range and variety of shops.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Grafton Street or Henry Street 44 votes

Grafton Street
    0% 0 votes
    Henry Street
    100% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Henry Street. Grafton street has nothing of interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Henry Street on the 8th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sesame Street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If I want to buy strawberries from a woman shouting in my face that she sells strawberries, it has to be Henry street.

If I want to be surrounded by self important loud mouth south Dubliners with notions of cosmopolitanism and a superiority complex despite being about fourteen, I'll go to Grafton street.

If I want to be robbed by a child wearing sports gear more expensive than my best suit, I'll go to Henry street.

If I want to be held up by a crowd watching a spotty teen destroying a radiohead song on an out of tune guitar, I'll go to Grafton street.

It's horses for courses really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Neither? They're both horrible as is most of Dublin city centre. Last time I was on Henry St though a 'lady' did stop and squat for a piss in broad daylight so based on that I'd pick Grafton St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

For shopping? Neither, I'm a bloke.

For a few pubs and a night out? I'm not going anywhere near Henry Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I hate them both apart from the early morning when they are fairly quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Henry Street has more footfall, so there's your answer.

Any love out there for Foley Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Patrick Street, tbh

Beats all that ****e hands down, and has some of the best shopping in the country, lots of great food places around there as well....boi...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

jamesbere wrote: »
    Sesame Street

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

BBDBB wrote: »
    Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

Just off Stephens Green where all the muppets hang out....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'd say Henry Street leads in terms of the range and quality of the retail offer. Grafton St has sadly gone downhill over the past 15 or so years. Once, it featured very good high quality independent Irish boutiques and shops, now it seems full of mobile phone shops and newsagents.

Also, the St Stephens Green Centre requires modernisation. Many of the units in there are too small for the needs of modern retailers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Grafton St, full of tourists and crap buskers. Not familiar with Henry St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

What you's bleedin looking at ya dooooozy parick ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Grafton Street because Henry Street i find is more heinous, rougher and you'd be pushed out of the way.

Grafton St isn't without its problems - I once watched an old man slumped in the doorway of & other stories before it opened, sucking gas from an aerosol can.

I'd go to Henry Street for Debenhams and Pennies but Grafton Street has a good layout. River Island, Topshop/miss selfridge, oasis, BTs, cos, &other stories, a proper inglot store, Victoria Secrets, you've a huge Zara and H&M within a minute or twos walk, Superdry.
    I wouldn't be going anywhere else except Debenhams and Pennies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Haven't been shopping in either one for a good few years now. Always remember when i was a kid walking through Henry Street and the women on the stalls shouting "lighters....5 for a pound"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I walk up Clarendon st just to avoid Grafton st. Can't stand the buskers and other nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Henry Street is where feral youths who roam in packs; seems to be a segregation based on colour in these packs not that that has any bearing on their ferality, it's merely an observation. Henry Street also has a soulless, UK "high street" feel to it with the dull, vacuous offerings for shops on the street (JD Sports, mobile phone shops, Debenhams, Boots, McDonalds etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

North Earl street is more 'realz'.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No Talbot St, Guineys anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. Is OP going to raze whichever street the jackeens vote off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Haven't been shopping in either one for a good few years now. Always remember when i was a kid walking through Henry Street and the women on the stalls shouting "lighters....5 for a pound"!

'LATE HERDILD OR PRESS'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Henry Street. Because it's closer to where I live.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Henry St purely for Penneys, even though I know that technically that's Mary St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Neither? They're both horrible as is most of Dublin city centre. Last time I was on Henry St though a 'lady' did stop and squat for a piss in broad daylight so based on that I'd pick Grafton St.

Nice to hear things havent changed - I have a childhood memory and we are talking about 30 years ago - being down Moore St or somewhere near the Ilac and seeing some aul wan squatting doing a piss in the daytime

I was mentally scarred

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

The bigger question is should we rename them? Enough of these outdated colonial British names!

I say Grafton Street becomes "Like, Oh my God Street" in honour of its well-to-do visitors from South County Dublin, and Henry Street to become "2 for a Euro Street" to reflect the areas unique bustling grey and black markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sun Yatsen

Before last week I would have said Grafton Street without a doubt. But then I had the unfortunate pleasure of witnessing a shameful occurrence on Saturday morning, right outside Mcdonalds on Grafton st. There was one man limboing under a pole, there was a speaker system beside him on the ground pumping out a song I had never heard before but it was definitely Sinead O Connors voice. As I walked by another man was coming in the opposite direction. He was wearing a beige coloured trenchcoat, must have been sweating in it as it was fairly warm at the time. As he passed between the limboer and I, I spotted that he had a small knife, maybe used for cutting cheese in his hand. Thought this was unusual clearly and I briefly thought to myself that if this was on Henry street then I would be worried. Little did I expect what was to happen next. I woke up slowly realising it was a dream. So yeah it's now 50/50 for me between Henry Street and Grafton Street. I'll still say Grafton Street if I really need to pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

myshirt wrote: »
    Henry Street has more footfall, so there's your answer.

Any love out there for Foley Street?

Take me back to Monto .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    No Talbot St, Guineys anyone?

I see Henry Street and Talbot Street as the same place really tbh.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I prefer spending time on Grafton Street, I prefer shopping on Henry Street. In terms of actually spending money I'd never go near Grafton Street if it wasn't for Oasis.

Advertisement